It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Walks With Aid of Brain-Controlled Robotic Legs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Man Walks With Aid of Brain-Controlled Robotic Legs

www.wired.com

Walking on a treadmill is no great feat, unless your legs are being moved by a robotic device connected to your brain.

A new brain-computer interface allows a person to walk using a pair of mechanical leg braces controlled by brain signals (above), as reported on arXiv. The device has only been tested on able-bodied people, and while it has limitations, it lays a foundation for helping people with paralysis walk again.

“It’s an important step toward helping people with lower limb paralysis,” s

VIDEO ON LINK ONLY

edit on 5-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is truly amazing!

Just how far has science come that we can control robotic legs with our brain through a cap worn by the person!?

Amazing.

Scientists say that movements are about 95% accurate which is pretty good going seeing as the technology is new.

Watch the vid above! Of course at this stage it is only walking, but I'm sure it won't be long until we get some running action....can you imagine how fast you could run?

Watch out!

Sarah Conner??

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Looks like the 6 million dollar man will be a reality in the not so distant future.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

For sure.........it's only a matter of time!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is truly amazing. One of my life long friends had a motorcycle wreck 40 years ago and was crippled for life. Id love to see this developed and give him the chance to walk again before he dies.

Hopefully they can work out the kinks and get this on the market in the near future!

Thanks OP for this good news. S&F

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Pretty interesting and I can see a lot of possible benefits from this type of research.

Besides giving mobility to people with paralysis, it could work as a therapy tool to keep their legs from atrophying. Also, this could help advance research in robotic mobility by studying the natural walking patterns of people and coordinating that with mechanical movement.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well, I'm not really holding my breath yet ... I'll wait until I see a man without legs, using these, before I say that we're there.

But this sort of research is really needed ... I far more agree to mechanical research, than the use of human tissue for body parts.

So, I say this deserves S&F

edit on 6/9/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Half the people in this country can't walk on their own two feet. They always need the government to help them. I'm glad to see someone got this guy walking again.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
now this is awesome use of man's intelligence to better his brother. Can't wait to see the next generation.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Is anyone else unable to hear the video? It plays fine, there's just no volume.

top topics

join