It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fire' at French Fessenheim nuclear power station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

A fire has broken out at a nuclear power station in France, leaving several people injured, emergency officials and media reports say. Fire crews are dealing with the incident at the Fessenheim plant in eastern France near the German border. Local government and fire service officials quoted by Reuters said the cause was an "involuntary chemical reaction". The power station has the oldest nuclear reactors in France. It has been the target of regular anti-nuclear protests.

BBC News

I don't know why 'fire' is in inverted commas. I hope this isn't too serious. The last thing we need is another nuclear disaster.

Fessenheim nuclear power plant

More to follow
edit on 5-9-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It seems like a release of oxygenised steam was to blame following a leak of hydrogen peroxide, hence initially being reported as a 'fire' I don't know anything about nuclear powerplants so no idea how serious an incident like this is?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Apparently everything is "fine".

"It was not a fire," the local prefecture said. "There was an outlet of oxygenated steam" produced after hydrogen peroxide reacted with water in a reservoir. About 50 firefighters have been deployed, an official from the service said. French power supplier EDF said "two people were slightly burnt through their gloves."

www.google.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
...and breath. No glow in the dark onions just yet.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I wish we could simply accept their assurances without hesitation.

Actually, I wish we had some other way to verify that their not pulling a "TEPCO" .... "What? No problem, it's all under control!"

We can only hope that someone in the mix really gives a damn about the local population... more so than their revenue stream, stock value, board of directors, or trustees.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Keep us informed, hope this works out and without any more damage or injuries. I loved that part of the planet and walked many miles in the region.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Electricite de France SA’s oldest nuclear plant will be shut as soon as possible as a pilot for dismantling atomic sites, Energy Minister Delphine Batho said.

Source

It looks as though this elderly plant will be shortly shut down. I don't know if this accident sparked urgency on this, I'm sure it will have contributed. In my opinion, the sooner we get rid of nuclear power the better. I'd rather have a landscape blighted with windfarms than the invisible radiation that will eventually effect us all if things don't change.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There was an apparent radiation leak at Fessenheim from 24th - 25th June this year - showed up on the international radiation monitoring. But I don't see anything there of that nature today.

new topics

top topics

join