It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP Senate Candidate Supports Life Sentences For Rape Victims Who Obtain Abortions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
GOP Senate Candidate Supports Life Sentences For Rape Victims Who Obtain Abortions

From Buzzfeed:
North Dakota Senate Candidate Voted To Make Abortion In Case Of Rape, Incest Carry Life Sentence

The American Taliban strikes again, having sought to impose a life sentence in prison on victims of rape who obtained an abortion, no matter the circumstances. Well, at least they're not chopping women's heads off - yet.

Rep. Rick Berg (R-ND), the candidate for Senate from North Dakota, once voted for a bill that would have made any woman who obtained an abortion guilty of a homicide crime — even if it were in the case of rape or incest. Indeed, the bill Berg supported does not even contain an explicit exception if an abortion is necessary to save the woman’s life.

The hypocrisy?

Berg was quick to denounce the comments of a fellow Senate Candidate, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), when he claimed that a woman couldn’t get pregnant from “legitimate rape.” Berg called the statement “insulting and reprehensible,” and “condemn[ed] them in the strongest terms possible.” But the assertion that a rape victim should be put in jail for not wanting to carry the child of her rapist is equally abhorrent. It is also largely unpopular — though the country is often split on abortion rights, 75 percent of Americans believe that abortion should be legal in the case of rape or incest.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Where do they find these people?

Is there like a min IQ you have to be under in order to be in the GOP?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
only in amerika land where idiocy doesnt just run rampant... it gallops...

has to be the most boneheaded idiotic idea I've heard this year ... newsflash bubba - the law is meant to protect victims ...not make them suffer even more ...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I think RealSpoke was correct in his assessment of the GOP.

The party of Low IQ indeed.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
that is just apauling.... I mean really.... I just have no words i'm literally speachless

so wrong onso many levels....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You usually have to travel to some of the harsher regions of the Middle East to find a government that punishes victims of rape.

It's like Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), who claimed no child has ever been the victim of rape, or as he says: "[he's] not aware of any young victims like that." (source: King's Denial of Child Rape Victims Just Latest of His Anti-Choice Diatribes)

They can deny it all they want. young women, even children, are raped, and some become pregnant from rape. It should be 100% their choice to terminate such a pregnancy, and not have to be faced with a life sentence in prison for it.

The American Taliban really have a lot in common with their fellow Middle Eastern misogynists.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Where do they find these people?

Is there like a min IQ you have to be under in order to be in the GOP?

Why would you think it is limited to the GOP? How about Hank Johnson thinking the Island of Guam would tip over? How about Biden's "put y'all back in chains" comment? It's just that the liberal media happens to be digging up a lot of this stuff lately.

Here's another good liberal rant

6. I propose a limitation be put on how many sqares [sic] of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don’t want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required. — Sheryl Crow

more

2. I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. — “Journalist” Chris Matthews

fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com...

edit on 5-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

"Hank Johnson thinking the Island of Guam would tip over?" - was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

Biden's the banks will "put ya'll back in chains" was about the banks.

How do you compare those above statements to something like drafting a bill and signing it that would seek to put rape victims in prison for an abortion? Or for thinking 12-year-olds don't get raped? Or for thinking women can't get pregnant from 'legitimate rape'?

Do you want to throw Obama's "57 states" out there too? That's obviously on the same level as these rape policies coming from the GOP.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Obviously it is the same. Low IQ doesn't even begin to cover it, more like you have to be an outright psychopath. It is the only way I can see someone coming in here equating stupid things people say to anothers sociopathic desire to put imprison a woman for obtaining an abortion. But then again this is the Republican Party were talking about, they need those women locked up to fulfill the quotas for their friends running the prison system.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

"Hank Johnson thinking the Island of Guam would tip over?" - was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

Biden's the banks will "put ya'll back in chains" was about the banks.

How do you compare those above statements to something like drafting a bill and signing it that would seek to put rape victims in prison for an abortion? Or for thinking 12-year-olds don't get raped? Or for thinking women can't get pregnant from 'legitimate rape'?

Do you want to throw Obama's "57 states" out there too? That's obviously on the same level as these rape policies coming from the GOP.

Obama sayes there was 57 states!

Obviously the same as these rape policies.

them liberal media pranksters forcing these politicians to reveal their true convictions.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Oh baloney.It was testimony in Congress and he was serious as all get out.

here's some more

2. Joe Biden on culturalism: "In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

and is whoopie Goldberg a closet non-liberal or something?

3. Whoopi Goldberg on 43-year-old Roman Polanski raping and sodomizing a 13-year-old girl: "I know it wasn't rape-rape. It was something else but I don't believe it was rape-rape. He went to jail and and [sic] when they let him out he was like "You know what this guy's going to give me a hundred years in jail I'm not staying, so that's why he left."

Did she mean it wasn't legitimate rape? What else could she have meant?

Barack Obama: "I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?"
8. John Kerry on the troops: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
11. Al Gore: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
12. Congressman Hank Johnson on Guam: "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,"
15. Helen Thomas: Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and "go home" to Germany and Poland.
17. Bill Clinton on ordinary Americans: "African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."
21. Joe Biden on the economy: "The number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S."
34. Jerry Brown, former governor of California, and current candidate for the same position: "The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs."
39. Al Gore on zoology: "A zebra does not change its spots."

42. Congressman John Dingell on freedom: "The harsh fact of the matter is when you're passing legislation that will cover 300 million American people in different ways, it takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people."

thestir.cafemom.com...

i think that last one was a freudian slip.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

Obviously it is the same. Low IQ doesn't even begin to cover it, more like you have to be an outright psychopath. It is the only way I can see someone coming in here equating stupid things people say to anothers sociopathic desire to put imprison a woman for obtaining an abortion. But then again this is the Republican Party were talking about, they need those women locked up to fulfill the quotas for their friends running the prison system.

Prison as a business is about as crazy fascist big government as it gets.

Just thought I'd mention that

PS these guys are not retarded, they are misogynists, big F ing difference

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thepresident

omg seriously?

40. Rod Blagojevich, former governor of IL: "I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up."

thestir.cafemom.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Clearly all of those are a awesome as spending months drafting laws that punish rape victims

Total comparison there

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Oh baloney.It was testimony in Congress and he was serious as all get out.

here's some more

2. Joe Biden on culturalism: "In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

and is whoopie Goldberg a closet non-liberal or something?

3. Whoopi Goldberg on 43-year-old Roman Polanski raping and sodomizing a 13-year-old girl: "I know it wasn't rape-rape. It was something else but I don't believe it was rape-rape. He went to jail and and [sic] when they let him out he was like "You know what this guy's going to give me a hundred years in jail I'm not staying, so that's why he left."

Did she mean it wasn't legitimate rape? What else could she have meant?

Barack Obama: "I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?"
8. John Kerry on the troops: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
11. Al Gore: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
12. Congressman Hank Johnson on Guam: "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,"
15. Helen Thomas: Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and "go home" to Germany and Poland.
17. Bill Clinton on ordinary Americans: "African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."
21. Joe Biden on the economy: "The number one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S."
34. Jerry Brown, former governor of California, and current candidate for the same position: "The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs."
39. Al Gore on zoology: "A zebra does not change its spots."

42. Congressman John Dingell on freedom: "The harsh fact of the matter is when you're passing legislation that will cover 300 million American people in different ways, it takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people."

thestir.cafemom.com...

i think that last one was a freudian slip.

Hasn't figured it out yet. Keep trying think on it real hard.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

omg seriously?

40. Rod Blagojevich, former governor of IL: "I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up."

thestir.cafemom.com...

Exactly

Blago the idiot spent six months hammering out detail by detail of how he was going to
imprision rape victims for exercising their freedom.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

omg seriously?

thestir.cafemom.com...

Still hasn't figured it out. Teachers should be recognized for sainthood.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
To be fair, I think that the GOP is getting heat that many of it's members don't deserve. Unfortunately the party that is seen as conservative is the logical place for the truly over zealous religious right to call home.

I'm not in any way, shape, or form against religious folk. But there was a reason the Framers decided to keep the Church out of government. We need to remind some of these zealots of this fact. God has his house, the people have theirs, and they need to be mutually exclusive.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Do you want to throw Obama's "57 states" out there too?
How do you compare those above statements to something like drafting a bill and signing it that would seek to put rape victims in prison for an abortion?

No it was just stupid.

But Holdren wanting to sterilize the entire population with mass medication in the water is just diabolical.

Anyhow, don't take my post out of context. I was responding to the guy who suggested low IQ indicates GOP.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Last I checked Blago is not Republican. The point of the thread is bashing the GOP for stupid statements. But it's truly funny watching you all defend stupid Democrats.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join