It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School. My son is Failing some subjects. Should I worry?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

I would also like to add that your image is completely misleading. Have you been in a school recently? Children sitting at individual desks with their heads down and 'obeying' and 'memorizing' religiously all day is simply not reality. In any good school, children are normally sat in small groups and engaged in interesting activities designed to make learning fun. Children will not sit there and be talked to without interaction as they have relatively low concentration spans. That would just result in disobedience and a lack of memorizing anything! School is a place where we learn to develop not just academically but emotionally, socially and cognitively and without it we would definitely be sheep vulnerable to the 'elite' who were actually educated.

School is what you make of it. If you go in with a negative attitude then you will hate it and most likely become a problematic pupil. If you struggle with something, seek help. That's what teachers are for. If you hate it, don't go to school, that way you can decide your own destiny in your own time without disrupting those who want to learn. If you're a parent, encourage your child and let them see the benefit and choose their own path with a bit of positive direction.

Source - married to a teacher

PS. It's the media that brainwash the masses by sensationalizing stories to get increased ratings. That is the main motive in many cases anyway.

EDIT: On reading that back, the most paranoid in here will probably tell me that my wife has brainwashed me. Please don't because I believe it or not, I have my own opinions and have made my own choices which so far have worked out pretty well. I think that those who believe we are being brainwashed are those who are not happy with their own lives and need to blame someone else because it's NEVER your own fault. Denial and paranoia go hand in hand....I digress.
edit on 6-9-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

They spend their whole lives following the "Rules". To afraid to question the School System, or the Work System.

The MSM has created a race of sheep that will essentially police themselves.

All the posters regurgitating this tripe are too afraid to step out of line, think outside the box.

All in all, your just another brick in the wall.

That's a very naive thing to assume. What makes you think that I don't live to break the rules? You know nothing of my chosen lifestyle. Even in real life, people see me in the way I project myself to them.

Rules and systems are waiting to be exploited, manipulated and used to ones advantage. That's easier to do with an education.

In the perspective of wolves and sheep, here is what I think. Sheep usually aren't smart enough to recognize the wolves hiding within their ranks.

I'm a wolf. Education helps me to plan the kill, and to get away from the other wolves with my meal.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
reply to post by r2d246

It's so sad to see all the haters who get angry at anybody who doesn't conform to the groupthink.

They spend their whole lives following the "Rules". To afraid to question the School System, or the Work System.

All the posters regurgitating this tripe are too afraid to step out of line, think outside the box.

edit on 6-9-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

Seriously?? You think THAT is how schools operate in this day and age??

I'll return with "All you non-conformists are just alike". Of course, you probably won't get the pun, but others will.

School does not exist to teach memorization or "obeying the rules", it exists to teach students how to think in a logical manner, how to seek out information, how to become lifelong learners. This isn't the 1950's and school doesn't operate the way it once did.
Many people who failed themselves (the schools didn't fail them, they failed themselves) try to make it the fault of the school instead of taking the responsibility for their choices and actions on their own shoulders. Not one single person with a decent education could EVER be considered "another brick in the wall", HOWEVER, each and every person who fails to take advantage of the free education that is provided for them and make the most of it is most definitely "another brick in the wall". They are the people who are easy to control because they can't think logically, they never learned how. They can't seek out information, they never learned how. They can't make logical decisions, they never learned how. Instead of doing those things, they are controlled by various groups (headed up by people who DID get an education and used it for less-than-honest purposes) who tell them to "resist the groupthink", "don't let them control you", "they're just sheeple" when, in fact, YOU are the one suffering from groupthink, being contolled and are a sheeple.
You are being controlled by people who DO have an education and you are being manipulated to do their bidding. You complain and rail against the one and only one thing that could break their control over you. They don't want people to be educated, they don't want people to know how to learn or research or think logically, they want people to be easy to control and it's much, much easier to control the "stupid and ignorant" than it is to control a group of educated people. I'm not saying you in particular are stupid, but I will say you are ignorant. Ignorant means that you don't know a particular thing, stupid means you aren't capable of knowing a certain thing. Anyone who is ignorant is capable of overcoming the ignorance by learning, you can't overcome stupidity. However, if you stay ignorant long enough without challenging it or trying to overcome it, it does turn into stupidity. Don't let that happen to you and definitely don't let it happen to your son. There is nothing shameful about being ignorant, but there is something shameful about remaining ignorant when you have a free public education provided to help you overcome the ignorance and you choose to not take advantage of it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan

That's a very naive thing to assume. What makes you think that I don't live to break the rules? You know nothing of my chosen lifestyle. Even in real life, people see me in the way I project myself to them.

Rules and systems are waiting to be exploited, manipulated and used to ones advantage. That's easier to do with an education.

In the perspective of wolves and sheep, here is what I think. Sheep usually aren't smart enough to recognize the wolves hiding within their ranks.

I'm a wolf. Education helps me to plan the kill, and to get away from the other wolves with my meal.

Excellent and poignant analogy!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

reply to post by r2d246

It's so sad to see all the haters who get angry at anybody who doesn't conform to the groupthink.

Seriously?? You think THAT is how schools operate in this day and age??

I'll return with "All you non-conformists are just alike". Of course, you probably won't get the pun, but others will.

School does not exist to teach memorization or "obeying the rules", it exists to teach students how to think in a logical manner, how to seek out information, how to become lifelong learners. This isn't the 1950's and school doesn't operate the way it once did.

200 years ago 99% of people were basically self employed. They knew how to make it on there own in life. Now after schools started becoming the norm as well as the industrial revelution 99% of people graduate knowing only 1 thing. "get a job". That's hows they're programmed to think. No longer thinking free, and thinking "the sky is the limit". They're thinking in terms of if they can make 50 k a year they'd be very happy, and gladly give up 45hrs a week at least for that.

So obviously it doesn't teach people to consider there options. It doesn't teach people to think outside the box. It doesn't teach kids to dream big dreams, or to figure out how to learn new things on there own. All it does it paint this narrow path of "career options" which are essencially a list of jobs. You take one and essencially you're a slave to the system for as long as you do that. You get taxed without any say in the matter.

Your essencially a rat in the rat raace with zero skills or training on how to get out of the rat race. And that was there whole intention. To teach you everything but how to be independent. How to think independently. How to evaluate information and not believe everything your told.

Usually most business owners are like 45 before they even consider the thought of starting there own business and trying to pull there own strings. And even then they're generally doomed to failure as they have no skills or understanding of how to be self sufficient.

And that's exactly what the ruling elite want. They want everyone to stay in quadrant "E" for employee. That way they reap the most out of the working class who are not taught to think or step out of quadrant E.

Read robert kiosoki's books Cash Flow Quadrant. This is something they definitely don't teach anyone in grade school or college:

Just add one more thing. It's not all about getting rich of course. But it's about doing what you love, and having the time freedom in life to do that. But most people don't have that. Most people don't have the money to just be free and do what they want. They need a job to put a roof over there head. But again if people were actually trained how to get out of the rat race they're would be a lot more people doing that. School doesn't teach that. not even business school. Business school basically gets you a job in the business world. Again it's a scam.
edit on 6-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

One more edit. I noticed he mentions network marketing. NO WAY STAY AWAY FROM THAT CRAP.
edit on 6-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This video is a perfect example of how children and adults are being schooled in "The Instruction Manual for Life".

There are consequences for having a different outlook, as seen in the video.

This video has religious overtones, but the indoctrination in general society remains the same.

I see this inquisitive young lad in the video as my son not conforming to society's set rules.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Do you HONESTLY think that anyone could POSSIBLY own their own business in today's age without an education and be even somewhat successful???? Sorry, but you have it completely backwards.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

So basically, you want your son to be incapable of organizational skills, unable to fit into society at all and want him to build cupboards for the rest of his life???
I'd say get back to us in 20 years and let us know how it works out for you, but it will most likely be much sooner if you continue on this path.... you'll be wondering why he can't find work, why he's in jail, why this, why that and you still won't comprehend that the problem is happening right now. You're refusing to allow him to gain any knowledge at all because you THINK things are the way the people who manipulate you tell you they are.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

reply to post by r2d246

Do you HONESTLY think that anyone could POSSIBLY own their own business in today's age without an education and be even somewhat successful???? Sorry, but you have it completely backwards.

My brother is proof that all you need is a dream, a business mind, and hard work. He is a high school dropout who became one of the leading art dealers in Australia.

My mother also had very little education, but her dream, her determination and her commitment has seen her travel the world over - several times.

That's her with PM Gillard.

DACOU Aboriginal Art was started in a backyard shed by a High School Dropout - My Brother.

You can't get anywhere without A's and B's in School? I think not.

DACOU Aboriginal Art

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

reply to post by r2d246

My brother is proof that all you need is a dream, a business mind, and hard work. He is a high school dropout who became one of the leading art dealers in Australia.

My mother also had very little education, but her dream, her determination and her commitment has seen her travel the world over - several times.

That's her with PM Gillard.

DACOU Aboriginal Art was started in a backyard shed by a High School Dropout - My Brother.

You can't get anywhere without A's and B's in School? I think not.

DACOU Aboriginal Art

No, you can't get anywhere without an EDUCATION... he learned from other art dealers and gained accredidation or the equivalent of it in his field. Without that, he would be nothing. His hard work and learning from others was his education after he recieved his basic education in school. We know he went to school, you just said he dropped out. He was in a field that allowed for education from other people who were "masters" in their field.
The child being mentioned can not gain accredidation as a welder, bricklayer or anything else just by doing it in his backyard. Your brother didn't gain his position from the backyard shed, he gained it from the people he met and just happened to be in a field that didn't require any state certification. The skills the kid is interested in DO require state certification and he can't get those certifications without an education.
Keep on fooling yourself if you want, but while you're doing that, ask your brother and your mother if they think his grades are important, chances are, they'll tell you that they are very important because they wouldn't want a child to have to go through the hard work they went through when it would be much easier for him if he got the education first. Ask them instead of speaking for them.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

So PurpleChiten you seem quiet?

How sucsessful are you and your highly educated family?

My poorly educated family aren't doing too bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Considering I just responded to your previous post, that would hardly be considered "quiet".
I'm doing quite well thank you. However, it is nearing my bedtime since I live in the US and have work tomorrow.
Try refreshing the page to see new replies before you jump in and make a new post, it'll work wonders.

.... guess that requires a little education in order to master

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

No, you can't get anywhere without an EDUCATION... he learned from other art dealers and gained accredidation or the equivalent of it in his field. Without that, he would be nothing.

He began Aboriginal Art Dealing when their were no Aboriginal Art Dealers. The boom happened in the 80s/90's.

He is the Instructor, who taught other dealers
Aboriginal Art is not just a bunch of dots and lines, there are stories behind each painting, we have known these stories since childhood - he did not learn this from other art dealers.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

No, you can't get anywhere without an EDUCATION... he learned from other art dealers and gained accredidation or the equivalent of it in his field. Without that, he would be nothing.

He began Aboriginal Art Dealing when their were no Aboriginal Art Dealers. The boom happened in the 90's.

He is the Instructor, who taught other dealers

Call him up and ask him about your son's grades like I said instead of cutting off most of my post

nite darlin

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

reply to post by r2d246

Well 200 yrs ago 99% of people were self employed and 99% of them had zero formal education. So what's our problem? ummmmhhh lets see.... THE SYSTEM

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Why did you start this thread, asking for other peoples opinions? The majority have voiced that succeeding in the education system is a good thing to strive for but you wont believe it because a few people in your family are successful with out it. Having good grades creates more opportunities, opportunities are good things. If you really dont care if he fails, there is a good chance he will. Congrats. Either way hope things work out well for everyone.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I know or knew many people who own or have owned businesses that barely finished highschool. They made a well enough living on it to bring up their families and send their kids to college without government assistance.. A college education isn't needed to own a business.

www.college-startup.com...
edit on 6-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

So what do you think education is...BTW

When you learn math it molds your mind to think in a more focus and logical way. Math is the only true universal language and the only way to find universal truths. If you want your son to be a free thinker I can't see a better way to do it.

By your words, it seems your son thirsts for knowledge and you seem to think it is not important....

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I know or knew many people who own or have owned businesses that barely finished highschool. They made a well enough living on it to bring up their families and send their kids to college without government assistance.. A college education isn't needed to own a business.

Hmm kind of funny you say that they work hard to put their kids through college...kind of like they want their kids to have a better life than they had.... go figure.

College is not some magic pill, BUT the right degree(s) will give you the tools needed to have a good life, what you do with those tools is up to you though. When I say college I'm not talking about the 80% bull crap degrees out there that people seem to get thinking just that piece of paper will be their ticket to a great life.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Well 200 yrs ago 99% of people were self employed and 99% of them had zero formal education. So what's our problem? ummmmhhh lets see.... THE SYSTEM

Wow..99% of America was self employed...I guess if hunting and growing your own food for survival, and one bad season from starvation is a good thing then you are right....

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join