It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Women Trying To Learn About Sports!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ok so I used to like sports as a kid, but grew out of it. I still watch boxing, which I love, but I know very little about baseball and football.

I am currently seeing someone who LOVES sports and wants to include me, but I figured that the ATS community can also give me a few tips. They (him and his friends) currently have a Madden 13 tournament going, with trophy included, and I would like to participate.... but they know I dont have a clue.

Since I am the underdog, I would like to come in as a surprise and kick some butt!! But I know that I have to learn the basics, so if anyone would like to help out it would be appreciated.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
are you a gamer at all?
You could always grab yourself a copy of a Madden game for PC or Xbox or whatever.
That would make you instantly popular every male on the planet, and help you learn the basics too!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I enjoy first person shooters on the 360, but sports games have never really interested me. I thought that it would be fun to come into the game without them (and him) knowing that I have been practicing and maybe even win a few

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Nothing is more pleasing than when my wife will sit next to me through a whole football game...

I applaud your effort, it's what counts, not knowing every silly rule.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged

Nothing is more pleasing than when my wife will sit next to me through a whole football game...

I applaud your effort, it's what counts, not knowing every silly rule.

This is true. My wife watches basketball with me sometimes, and I love it.
Are you wanting to join in and play an actual game though, or is it just about watching the season?

This is so relevant...

edit on 1-9-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I want to learn about the game, and eventually play the game (video game LOL), but I figured I dont want to just come in and play and have no clue whats really going on. He takes my interests seriously and I thought that I would do the same.

He has no clue that I am doing this.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I would suggest going here first to learn the players and they're strengths and weaknesses.

www.nfl.com...

Then here

www.easports.com...

There is more than just action.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

You can't score points on offense without a good quarterback. He's the guy who gets the snap from center in the middle of the offensive line

The offense is the team that has the ball and is moving it to the end zone.
The best quarterbacks in the NFL IMO:

Peyten Manning.....Denver
Drew Breese......New Orleans
Aaron Rogers.......Green Bay

And that guy from the San Diego Chargers........why can't I ever remember his name? He's real good too.

At Center you want Jeff Saturday. The best in the league. That's the guy who snaps the ball to the quarterback

From there, the wide receivers. They're the ones who catch the passes from the quarterback. Here's the roster of the top 10 this year in the fantasy league.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

I don't know how they do their standings, but Wes Welker of the Patriots is # 10 there and IMO is the best in the league IRL.

The top 3 running backs:

Ray Rice.......Baltimore Ravens
Maurice Jones-Drew ......Jacksonville Jaguars
Adrian Peterson.......Minnesota Vikings

I don't know how they do it on gaming systems, but if you have the option, do some research on the players who make up the offensive line. You want the best you can get to protect the quarterback so he can do his job.

The Bleacher Report site has some good info. on real life and Fantasy stats. As far as tips on how to activate on all this on gaming systems? You're talking to a gaming virgin here. I haven't a clue.

But those are some of the basics you can use to get started on picking the best players for your team..

Good Luck

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Are you talking about real football or the American kind with 9 big dummies running into each other while the only 2 smart guys on the team play catch?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88
Are you talking about real football or the American kind with 9 big dummies running into each other while the only 2 smart guys on the team play catch?

I think the American kind.

Does England even have a Fantasy Football League for their "watered down" version of the game?

American Football is Jack Daniels straight form the bottle.

English Football is a Shirley Temple.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So ,what is the difference between rugby and American football,other than lack of protection and rules?
Or are you talking about soccer.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Are you talking about watching other people play actual sports on TV, or playing a freaking video game where you pretend to play sports?

Wait, what's the difference?

Or do you mean, playing actual sports? With your actual body? You might get hurt.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I have played Madden and it isn't the easiest game to learn. I suggest playing against the AI and picking up some pinters that way..The thing is when you do learn it, you will never forget how to play any of the releases and you will pick up the ad ons very quickly.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
So ,what is the difference between rugby and American football,other than lack of protection and rules?
Or are you talking about soccer.

Madden would suggest she is talking about NFL... The difference between Rugby and US football

- NFL is a stop start brand
- Rugby is continous unless a penalty is given.

top topics

join