It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to Tour Hurricane Damage Today; Campaigning Obama Yet to Visit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Romney has just departed a busy convention and carved out the time to visit this damaged region to express his concerns. Obama was to busy campaigning to visit. In fact he was even to busy with his Reddit fiasco to even take Jindal's phone calls regarding federal aid for this disaster.

When the week began, and the Republican National Convention bore the unfortunate burden (again) of coinciding with a hurricane near New Orleans, some thought that it was inevitable that President Barack Obama would upstage challenger Mitt Romney--not by campaigning, but by visiting areas affected by the storm, quietly reminding voters that he is still President, and drawing an implicit comparison with George W. Bush.

Yet somehow Obama spent the week campaigning, at rallies and online, while Romney, who only yesterday accepted his party’s nomination for the job, has beaten Obama to the scene, and will visit hurricane-ravaged communities in Louisiana today, the Hill reports. Obama had all week to visit affected areas, but did not--and the media let him off the hook. (Apparently hurricanes are only policy failures if Republicans are in power.)

Unlike Sen. John McCain's clumsy and disastrous decision to "suspend his campaign" in the wake of the financial crisis of Sept. 2008, Romney's trip to New Orleans projects command, confidence and leadership.

Well,,, that should just about sum things up...

Obama was probably waiting for poll results to see if he should visit this stricken area....

Obama was too busy further disgracing the office of POTUS by opening himself up to the morons on Reddit in classic "Rampart" form. Good job Obama!!
www.breitbart.com...
edit on 31-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Update!!

Jay Carney just took the reigns to save this out of control wagon. Obama will visit the area on Monday.

Hours after Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney visited Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricane Isaac on Friday, White House press secretary Jay Carney announced President Barack Obama would call an audible in his schedule and visit Louisiana on Monday to assess the storm's damage.

Nice save Carney!! Better NOT try out for the varsity squad this year.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's not like either of them truly care about the people affected. The only reason Romney went is for the political reason, not because he truly cares. In my opinion it is pretty dispicable to make a presence there and then play the political card by making a fuss about the other canidate not showing. If I lived in the affected area I would prefer that both of them stay the heck out and do what they do best. Smile and lie and keep the sheep entertained. Anyway, just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Remember when everyone thought Obama was a thoughtless jerk for visiting Joplin after the devastating tornado series?

Well, he may be a jerk but this is just more stupidity from GOP'rs grasping at straws. It actually sounds like a two year old crying that someone took a toy he threw away. There's not going to be one damned thing Obama does or doesn't do leading up to the election that can detract from the sink holes that appear every time a Republican speaks.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
It's not like either of them truly care about the people affected. The only reason Romney went is for the political reason, not because he truly cares. In my opinion it is pretty dispicable to make a presence there and then play the political card by making a fuss about the other canidate not showing. If I lived in the affected area I would prefer that both of them stay the heck out and do what they do best. Smile and lie and keep the sheep entertained. Anyway, just my opinion.

The least these p0liticians can d0 is g0 d0wn there. Pe0ple have l0st their h0mes and everything they 0wn.

S0me pe0ple might appreciate it, f0r the 0nes that d0, getting their picture with the president 0r R0mney, and get their signature will make a really bad 0rdeal a little better, n0thing wr0ng with that.

They better act like they care if they d0nt.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I understand you point. But I do think that Romney cares about what happened. Is it a good political moment? Yes. Obama has every chance to respond and visit and has chosen not to. It took a visit from Romney to light a fire under his ass.

Romney chose to lead by example here...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Mitt Romney is a candidate, The sitting POTUS is running a super power. I think it's understandable that the guy looking for new work has more free time than the guy who is currently in one of the most demanding jobs in the world.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Sinkholes?? Clearly you didn't follow the banter during Obama's Reddit Q&A. It was a mine field.... All while ignoring Jindals requests.
hotair.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Leaders act.

Followers react.

Obama has been "reacting" to situations since he took the oath of office. This is no different.

Props to Romney.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I understand you point. But I do think that Romney cares about what happened. Is it a good political moment? Yes. Obama has every chance to respond and visit and has chosen not to. It took a visit from Romney to light a fire under his ass.

If Romney had any empathy he would not have outsourced so many jobs while at Bain.

This is nothing more than a PR move.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Good point. But Obama has been far busier campaigning and fundraising in all forms than he has been working as POTUS as of late. Hell, he's been campaigning for the last 4 years....

Just the back and forth banter about Isaac from both sides of the aisle and the timing in regards to Katrina should have kept those coals glowing cherry red under Obama's bum... I'm surprised that he didn't tie in an Isaac photo op with a campaign stop and quick plate of Gumbo...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

How does Bain fit into this??? Amazing link!! BTW Romney was never solely responsible for all of the transactions conducted by Bain.. You guys got anything else other than Bain?? Its old hat that carries no punch....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
These visits are all about optics. Romney's visit, as a private citizen and a candidate is ENTIRELY pointless except for politics. There's no assistance he can offer. Any official who meets with him is quite literally wasting his or her time when they have so much more to do right now. The situation still is keeping disaster crews busy, and a high profile visit again, quite literally, gets in their way with all the security blocking off access, requiring photo ops, allocating time for fake meetings, etc.

If Romney was truly a decent man, he'd say, "Right now my thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by this terrible storm. The best thing a politician can do right now is to stay out of the way of relief workers, utility crews and all the others rallying and working tirelessly to help those in need. When conditions improve, I'll be honored to accept the governor's invitation, until then, I'll help in any way I can and I encourage others to do the same." But no, Romney is a soulless opportunist who cares only for what value a visit might bring to him. He is shallow and the opposite of a statesman.

The president on the other hand, while still political in value, actually CAN do things and he can get face-to-face with his FEMA, etc. local team there to make sure he's keeping a close eye and is ready and willing to cut through bureaucracy to get needed help to the area.

Others trying to say this makes Romney look better than Obama because he gets there first are simpletons who not really THOUGHT about any of this.
edit on 31-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Yes sinkholes! A political move using social media doesn't compare, sorry lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Remember when everyone thought Obama was a thoughtless jerk for visiting Joplin after the devastating tornado series?

N0, every0ne was praising him, the MSM was acting like n0 0ther p0litician has ever d0ne such a great thing.

R0mney is visiting the damage, s0 0bama has t0 visit the damage. Whether we think if they are sincere 0r n0t
it will help families in the damage feel better that such **imp0rtant** pe0ple w0uld visit them. N0 harm d0ne

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

If Romney had any empathy he would not have outsourced so many jobs while at Bain.

This is nothing more than a PR move.

Im not a Romney fan at all, and am still going to write in Ron Paul if I have the choice......

But we have to be fair here............Most of the crap that the left is screaming about with Bain and Romney, happened WAY after he was gone, the other half were decided by a delegate of people , not just Romney..

If anyone on the left actually understood what a "Business model" is and how it operates they might know this.....but they dont, and they know the vast number of their supporters dont, so they spew this stuff so that the sheep can parrot it , hoping to gain enough ground that it will stick.....

Again....I loathe a lot of Romneys policies, but you still have to be fair....

Guys do some research........when you dont, you become part of the problem not the solution...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem

Originally posted by Kali74

N0, every0ne was praising him, the MSM was acting like n0 0ther p0litician has ever d0ne such a great thing.

R0mney is visiting the damage, s0 0bama has t0 visit the damage. Whether we think if they are sincere 0r n0t
it will help families in the damage feel better that such **imp0rtant** pe0ple w0uld visit them. N0 harm d0ne

What the heck is with your keyboard? Your letter o not working or is just some nifty style thing you do? II hope it is just broken, otherwise it'd be pretentious and not merely annoying.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Romney has just departed a busy convention and carved out the time to visit this damaged region to express his concerns.

You know what? I'm really concerned about the price of tea in China, that doesn't mean I'm going to catch the next flight to Beijing.

Romney can't show his 'leadership' here, he's got no one to lead. He can't show his 'business skills' because he's not the boss and he probably won't spend a dime in any of those areas anyway. The last thing I need when I'm tearing out my watersoaked baseboards is to have some candidate roll up and ask to have their picture taken with me to show everyone NOT affected by this how much he 'cares.'

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Now that's a campaignin!

He visits a minor hurricane zone (It was a cat 1 people not a cat 5) and his supporters clap like trained seals getting a fish.

Be good little trained seals, clap when your master tells ya. (he might as well put up an applause sign)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Simple Logical Answer: Obama did not go down to those states because they offer no campaign funds nor votes for him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join