It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update...Canada Couple Wins Right To Grow Vegetables On Front Lawn...Case Closed!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Remember that couple in Canada that were being harassed and told to remove their edible front yard? www.abovetopsecret.com...

A refresher:

Well guess what?

They came, They fought...They Won!

The city of Drummondville Quebec has ruled in favor of a couples right to grow their own vegetables on their front lawn! This case could set a precedent and generate a ripple effect that would see families all across the nation following in their footsteps and growing their own organic non GMO fresh produce.

Although I never did see the reasons why a person should ask for permission or be denied the right to grow food on their OWN property, this is indeed a move in the right direction for property rights AND the ability to grow and eat non GMO foods.

boingboing.net...

While it took place in Canada, it quickly attracted international media attention because of the garden’s beauty and productivity. The win is significant because it helps establish a precedent that other urban and suburban gardeners can refer to when similar challenges arise in other parts of the world.”

Thanks to Roger Doiron who started a petition to help gardeners in Drummondville, Quebec keep their garden.

blog.causes.com...

Cause leader Roger Doiron lives to fight for gardens. Two weeks ago, Roger, through his organization Kitchen Gardeners International, created a petition on Causes.com supporting the rights of a two homeowners to maintain a garden in their front yard on their property. The focus is on town officials in Drummondville, Quebec who declared a garden, pictured here, illegal. The petition asks these officials to make front yard gardens completely legal and it has been signed by more than 15,000 people worldwide.

More:

us2.campaign-archive2.com...

Dear Kitchen Gardener, At the risk of sounding immodest, let me say just this: we ROCK! By "we" I mean the over 30,000 gardeners who took action over the past three weeks in support of the food garden cause. Together, we helped win not just one victory but two. The first and most important was the Drummondville front yard garden case which attracted over 30,000 petition signatures, significant international media attention and what seemed to be an endless parade of supportive emails (I stopped counting after the first 200). Earlier this week, the Drummondville Municipal Council announced that henceforth front yard kitchen gardens will be allowed and have even invited gardeners, Josée Landry and Michel Beauchamp, to help shape the city's new guidelines for urban food gardens.

This may help people in the US facing the same problems as it does set a precedent. Why it should come to this is actually concerning but a victory is a victory.

Let's hope so.

Peace

edit on 25-8-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Good!!!

It's ridiculous what this couple had to go through to freakin' grow some food.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It could possibly be as simple as a clause in their home owners association agreement. In my neighborhood your only allowed to paint your door green, red or blue for example.

May have had nothing to do with freedoms and such, obviously I don't know though. That's a pretty elaborate set up, not sure I'd want that in my neighbors front yard. Drag my property value down which is selfish.
edit on 25-8-2012 by IsThisThingBugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Good on them! Amazing we can get away with cars on blocks, overgrown weeds, junk piles and the occasional trash heap but god forbid you can make an interesting and beautiful garden in your front yard.

Personally I am sick of "them" telling "us" why growing freaking food is against the law.

CJ

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yeah, I wonder how much that venture cost these people and how many people alienated them in their city. I'm sure they gained the respect of some and the contempt of others. So now that they won this case they will be picked on for anything they do in that city. They better play it completely legal for a couple of years, they will be watched.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsThisThingBugged
reply to post by jude11

It could possibly be as simple as a clause in their home owners association agreement. In my neighborhood your only allowed to paint your door green, red or blue for example.

May have had nothing to do with freedoms and such, obviously I don't know though. That's a pretty elaborate set up, not sure I'd want that in my neighbors front yard. Drag my property value down which is selfish.

Follow the first link I provided in my first line and you'll see that the neighbors actually support them. Gotta read.

And...Drag your property value down? Where the hell do you live? This property is absolutely beautiful and if anything would increase the beauty and value in the neighborhood.

Peace

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You're probably right and honestly that's just wrong. They did the right thing and went the legal route to be allowed to do this.

And to the poster who mentioned the HOA, those things are crazy but you know the rules when you move into they suburbs so I guess you live with them. Me personally, I could never live somewhere with a HOA. I want to be able to do what I choose to my property, not have some freakin' group of people tell me what colour I can paint my door.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

They did a great job but it would definitely not help property values. Do you own a home? Or sold a home before? Generic sells, family has worked in realestate for a while (unforunately lol).

And it doesn't matter if their neighbors supported it if it's against their HOA... HOA's are binding contracts (an important part of free societies) you can't just disregard them.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
its stupid an depressing but you have to laugh, i hope they can enjoy those dangerous tomato's.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I live in an area where I have that problem with people trying to tell me to paint my door. Darn wife and daughter are always trying to get me to work on something around here....I mean it's only been twenty two years since I built the house and the primer hasn't even rusted yet on that steel door........Women........

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

They did a great job but it would definitely not help property values. Do you own a home? Or sold a home before? Generic sells, family has worked in realestate for a while (unforunately lol).

And it doesn't matter if their neighbors supported it if it's against their HOA... HOA's are binding contracts (an important part of free societies) you can't just disregard them.

In these times, I would think that most family's would find a food producing garden a "wealth" not a hindrance to property value.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

If it were against the HOA, that's who the fight would be with. Not City council.

And yes I do own a home. Had many and would have no problem with this on my street whatsoever.

I get the feeling that you didn't read the original thread I posted and that's why you are bringing this up.

Peace

edit on 25-8-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I live in a small village, about 1000 people max and I couldn't imagine the council coming to me and saying....

Hey you, you can't plant that garden.

I'd have two words for them and I can't say them here.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
That shows we still have a decent system up here.

I remember a couple of years ago they tried to ban home baked goods at bake sales, and the wrath of little old ladies stopped that in a hurry

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Ah, that myth about owning your own property - you are renting it unless you are the government or a corporation or military. Read over your lease agreements, it's similar in Canada and the US. Why people continue to stand for this is beyond my comprehension.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thanks so much for the update on this, we are so happy to see that little people can prevail when motivated to do so....
After reading the original thread I thought to myself why???? That has got to be one of the best looking food gardens I have ever seen. And yes we garden like mad here but will never achieve such a lushous and pleasing to the eye garden.

Big smiles here from both of us in Canada.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 26-8-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
That shows we still have a decent system up here.

I remember a couple of years ago they tried to ban home baked goods at bake sales, and the wrath of little old ladies stopped that in a hurry

You made me laugh in a good way with that post!
A few years ago the People who rule told a local church to knock off the home/ mom made goods at their fund raising events.....

They baked and cooked double the usual amount, put an ad in the local paper here (circulation about 50 k) and said as much that if the Government wants their meat pies and cakes etc etc come and fight the crowds for them..

Best turnout they ever had and made zillions in money, that zillion part is my imagination run amok but you get the idea.

Nary an official to be seen that beautiful Saturday

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is because no one really owns property you must ask the county to drill a well , build a garage or ask the home owners associations just to paint your fence or a door. Like that lady who refused a pipeline on her property ( i read about a few days ago ) She fought and lost . Cannot really own something when the governments step in and seize and do as they please for corporate interests . Refuse to pay the tax man a few years see what property you really own . Only freedom we have left is the freedom to only conform to the rules and regulations and to choose if we want to flip burgers or scrub toilets.... single ply or two ply butt wipe

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
now if they could only move on to raising a couple of chickens so you can have fresh tasty eggs everyday, you'll almost have a complete meal.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Chalk one up for the good guys!

2nd

top topics

<<   2 >>

join