It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA reveals secrets it has hidden on the Curiosity rover.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

in case aliens do find it they'll know we're a currency based civilization.

Did you even think about it at all?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

It's a penny.

Ok, this is the second time in this thread you've tried to do this. The article says the following on the third and final page:

A lucky penny is used to calibrate Curiosity’s camera system, and Curiosity is also said to be carrying cash.

Notice how that sentence is structured. There is a penny AND cash. There is not just a penny on that thing, but also additional cash. Clear enough for you? Furthermore, what use would NASA scientists have for a "lucky penny"? Luck is not scientific. Why not just call it a "favorable probability penny"? It's insulting how condescending these people can sometimes be.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SerratedSoul

The article says the following on the third and final page:

Yes it does. So what? The MSM often screws things up, particularly when it is even remotely connected with science.. Please provide a NASA source stating that there is any cash other than the penny on board. Surely the Indian Express got the information from somewhere. Or did they just make it up?

Why not just call it a "favorable probability penny"?

Please provide a NASA source saying it was a "lucky penny".

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The thing needs a sign that says "this vehicle carries less than $50".

Yes, I know. Awful.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by Phage

The thing needs a sign that says "this vehicle carries less than $50".

Yes, I know. Awful.

dude. space pirates. we all know they exist.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
HMM. very interesting. I wonder what else is hidden on there.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Just out of curiosity (ha ha) do you think the money could be the American one dollar note.

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 25/8/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i understandstand everything except

Curiosity is also said to be carrying cash.

why would they do this? whats the point?

is the fed setting up a bank on mars?
is money so worthless now that they are dumping it on mars?
are they experimenting with that nano bacteria on bank notes?

i dont get it

That make money will soon be as useless on earth as it is on mars.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
They put all that useless stuff on it but they couldn't put a tiny microphone on it?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

My name made it!

I'm a thrilled tax payer with that thing up there.

I didn't know they added some of those things to the rover, this was a great article to read!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

C'mon, the rover is millions of miles away from home.

What if it needs a quickie repair job? How we gunna pay for it from all the way back here?

OK Travellers cheques would probably be a better idea, because when you carry cash, you have more chance of being mugged...lol

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Engineers at the space agency have admitted that they used special coded tyre tracks on the rover. They use morse code to spell out JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab), the lab where the rover was put together.

I'm sorry, but what? 'admitted'... like it's a cover up or something hahaha, they were talking about this in interviews and stuff before she was even launched, this is well known, at least to me and my friends / family. It's not exactly something to admit to after the news pointed it out as a 'fun fact'. I thought everybody knew.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hmmmm. I bet they paid a lot for that penny, more than a 1909 vdb would cost probably.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How right you are, but you and I both know that as '' our '' ability to get to these heavenly bodies improves these treaties will be ratified. And when they are changed, what better than having a couple of bucks, as well a nuclear driven vehicle already on the ground?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Hiding a paper banknote on probes / satellites is one of those unofficial good luck rituals that has been practiced by NASA and JPL techs going back to the Gemini program. I'm surprised it was mentioned though, I can't recall it every being talked about to the press and is one of those weird, well kept secrets.

It's purely for good luck and originated with foreign members of space project teams.

Each astronaut, for example is given a specific weight limit for personal "stuff" to be carried with them. They aren't really allowed to take stuff for the purpose of selling it later, this became an issue after some of the first astronauts took stamps, coins and toys up with them for money. Hats, flags, Masonic icons - all kinds of stuff has been carried into orbit including a Playboy magazine.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Curiosity- the first bank on mars.

Oh my... WTH NASA!

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Poor Phage. You are so patient. And kind. Do you ever liken trying to teach people stuff to standing in a classroom full of bickering children and the only tool you have that works to get their attention is a flyswatter?

Here...swat, is the... swat, proof for you nimrods of... swat, swat, what they are talking about. Swat... pay attention!

From the house of Phage:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Luck

Let's see. What's at stake: Billions of dollars in cash investment, the future of NASA's Mars exploration missions, NASA's budget, and their jobs. In addition to lucky peanuts, I'd wager there a were a lot of lucky coins, rabbit's feet, prayer beads, and lucky underwear present in the JPL control room the night that Curiosity landed. There are no atheists in foxholes.

Besides, I can see this as being a tongue-in-cheek inside-joke kind of thing for those folks.

Morse Code

While one can deduce J P L from the tire markings, the markings are a basic pattern of increasing dots and decreasing dashes. ---.--..-... That allows them to determine exactly what part of the tire was in contact with the surface at any point in its journey. This information would be useful in determining distance traveled, or the amount of slippage the tire may have encountered with respect to a specific terrain element.

Cash

Something like this could serve as an archeological time capsule. Think about how we get excited when we hear of Roman coins being unearthed in Great Britain. I imagine the next spacefaring society that emerges from the ashes of our current civilization may find such artifacts informative. I'd say that their archeologist won't be finding many intact dollar bills a few millennia from now. Mars strikes me as a great place to cache a few bills for future generations.
And, I'd say that if there is cash on board the rover, it's probably uncirculated. And it was most likely irradiated to kill any biological pathogens.

Dex

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
With regards to the cash- I'm pretty sure they were simply referring to the lucky penny on it.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by Phage

Explanation: Uhmmm?

I made a thread about that law ... and its got so many loopholes [pointed out by ATS members] that it is useless.

Did Nasa STEAL luna rocks from the moon? (by OmegaLogos posted on 24-10-2011 @ 08:12 PM) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: For example ...

Article IV
States Parties to the Treaty undertake not to place in orbit around the Earth any objects carrying nuclear weapons or any other kinds of weapons of mass destruction, install such weapons on celestial bodies, or station such weapons in outer space in any other manner.

The Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes. The establishment of military bases, installations and fortifications, the testing of any type of weapons and the conduct of military maneuvers on celestial bodies shall be forbidden. The use of military personnel for scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes shall not be prohibited. The use of any equipment or facility necessary for peaceful exploration of the Moon and other celestial bodies shall also not be prohibited.

And yet Curiosity is up on Mars firing its LAZERS! Dual use means they should never of been used in the 1st place or we enter that loophole zone of BS!

Sorry im getting ahead of myself if this has been said. Didnt we send a nuke or bomb to the moon within the last 2 years?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join