It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You still don't get it do you, or either you are just following an agenda,

Todays school lunches are junk regardless what Michelle Obama is preaching about, Public schools used to be places no only for learning quality education but also to provide a nourishing meal for those less fortunate children that were no able to get any at home due to poverty.

Today is nothing but trash and still cost millions of dollars of tax payers money to support that trash.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Even though the kids say the food is "nasty" or "bland" I gotta disagree as I only graduated high school in 2009. I loved school lunch, sure its not as great tasting as the mc double bypass
or whatever else these kids are addicted too (yes I said addicted) but it gets the job done. When I read the parents are packing the kids lunches to ensure they don't go hungry.. that should fill me with joy, but it doesn't. Most likely your children don't know what real hunger is, we come from a lineage of fasting and feasting ancestors after all. Were sort of programed to over eat, to over indulge, to store calories (fat, some glucose in the muscles as well, but thats a small amount. ) for periods of famine. Thing is, the calories were ingesting today are far different than what we used to eat..and an equally big problem, for most of the kids in America, they will never experience a famine. Sure some will, but most wont. They never give their bodies time to utilize all those calories, so the pounds keep adding on, along with the health problems.

What compounds this problem is most of the calories we eat are starches and sugars, which aren't exactly great on the body. You see, when you eat a high sugar meal, your blood sugar spikes. This is no good, your body doesn't like this, so it sends out insulin to convert it into glucose, which is the sugar your body likes. What you can't use quickly though, it stores as fat, and then your blood sugar drops quickly, which makes you think your hungry again. Not to mention the repeated process of this can make on develop insulin resistance, which is a whole other can of worms.

Parents, if you want to be sure your kid isn't "hungry" instill good eating values in your children. Teach them to love their veggies, to get their vitamins. If you want to pack their lunch, thats great too! Just do it with healthy foods, as healthy as you can budget anyways, but for the love of god don't send them to school with a snack packs and sweet cakes and all this other junk. Every once in a while is ok, but if your doing it daily so your kid will eat..your doing them much more harm than them being "hungry" at school is gonna do. Trust me, if they truly get hungry, their body will tell them to eat those "gross" veggies and such.

I hope I haven't angered anyone, but I believe I probably will with this post. I know this site has picked up a lot of trolls over the years as well also, so I won't be replying to such stupidity if posted. One more thing, if anyone thinks im sitting on my high horse over this post im not. I used to be one of those kids, the kind where I was "hungry" all the time, but I was only hungry for sweets. I got to be 240 lbs by my sophomore year of high school. I took a look at myself and decided I needed to make a change. I started eating right and my weight dropped to 180, and I could FEEL a difference in my health. Just food for thought

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
Michelle Obama has endorsed the new school lunch guidelines,

So. Isn't that the typical crap that First Ladies do?
Who cares if she wants to promote healthy eating.
She has no power to force anyone to do anything....
It's just her opinion regardless of how loud she's able to shout it from her big podium..

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
"What's the point, if I have to feed them a meal as soon as they get home?" was a common response. My favorite comment was, "Well, I better fill 'em up, because the school sure isn't."

Since when is it the school's responsibility to fill the bellies of our children.
If you (Not you specifically - everyone/anyone) are relying on the government to feed your kids then you have already failed them...

Oh well.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ladybug121

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! you nailed, That was the first thing I learned as a school teacher in the south, even when I complained that they school lunches were I was working at were very unsatisfactory.

Another teacher told me just that, many children only get to have a meal when they eat at school, because at home is nothing much left for them.

But from the time I used to eat school lunches to today trash we have come a long way and the menu in schools today has deteriorated to nothing but trash.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I am going out on a limb here, but according to what the OP wittnessed customers purchasing at her food market, I'm going to say a lot of them are buying stuff for their kids that is no better than, or even worse than the food their kids are consuming at school. I.E. High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sucralose, Aspartame, and in this case of them being hungry as soon as they get home, Monosodium Glutamate.

Parents didn't seem to have a problem before, why do they all of a sudden? If they are that concerned about the government mandating what their kids eat, they might as well homeschool them or hire a tutor at least.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You still don't get it do you, or either you are just following an agenda,

Todays school lunches are junk regardless what Michelle Obama is preaching about, Public schools used to be places no only for learning quality education but also to provide a nourishing meal for those less fortunate children that were no able to get any at home due to poverty.

Today is nothing but trash and still cost millions of dollars of tax payers money to support that trash.

No, I do get it, and I have no agenda (why is it that if i have an opposing point of view, i must be pushing an agenda? Does that mean that YOU are also pushing YOUR agenda?). What you dont get is that SCHOOLS DO NOT HAVE TO CATER TO PARENTS.

Again, if you dont like what they serve, send them with a bag lunch. It really is that simple. Anything else is complaining because they arent catering to you, and expecting them to be not only places of education, but day care, a restaurant, and surrogate parents.

Did you know that most school lunch programs have to be self-sustaining? Meaning they get ZERO funding? Meaning the high end foods CANNOT be served, because of the cost?

And no, taxpayer dollars do not go to support school lunches. Again, most school lunch programs have to be self-sustaining. At least do some research on the topic before you spout this nonsense.

edit on 25-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Everything except the wheat frenzy sounds really nice.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Sounds to me like a huge failure by the parents. They should already be preparing their kids' lunches, but not with all the crap they normally serve their own children.

I don't blame Michelle Obama's initiative, I blame the parents who are either too ignorant of healthy eating, or too uncaring.

And it isn't a matter of cost if they're buying lunchables. They just want their children to be unhealthy, and to further increase the costs of healthcare.

I feel bad for their children. I despise the parents.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Michelle has made me very mad
. I liked my fatty foods and i almost died(not really) from having little food. I EAT ALOT.. And im the shortest person in the school. and very skinny. i can out eat the fattest kid in my highschool.(I think that i have a very good ad fast metabolism). Michelle needs to undo it and let us have lots of un-fat free food AND DRINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOSE WITH ME???????? Because of her i don't eat at school anymore because of the nasty food they are being forced to serve.
Now i go home and RAID THE REFRIGERATOR AND CABINETS! NO MORE FAT-FREE FOOD AND DRINKS................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOSE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A different perspective.

I teach at a very poor school. In the past, our lunches consisted of the following:

1 meat (hot dog, chicken, fish, etc)
1 veg (salad, potato, peas, corn)
1 fruit (apple, strawberries, peaches)
1 bread (usually crackers)
1 milk

The portions were not huge, the quality was okay. And most of the kids ate everything on their plate (they also didn't ask for everything; some would get a fruit but no veg bc that was all they wanted).

For a lot of the kids, school breakfast and lunch were the only meals they ate. No money for food at home.

Now our menu has changed. Kids get

1 meat
1 vegetable (salad or beans)
1 fruit (small box of raisins or half an apple)
Milk

The kids still eat it all...but they are hungry again two hours later. And I have to send them home knowing they have very little to eat at home. I've tried to buy an afternoon snack but twenty kids a day is beyond my budget.

To top it off, they raised the prices of the meal. It now costs $3.25 versus last year's price of $2.75.

I think it might have more to do with money than with nutrition. Spend less making the meals and charge more. And since about 80% of our students get free lunch, that price tag is footed by the taxpayers.

We aren't getting our money's worth.

edit on 25-8-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WSandAbnormal
Michelle has made me very mad
. I liked my fatty foods and i almost died(not really) from having little food. I EAT ALOT.. And im the shortest person in the school. and very skinny. i can out eat the fattest kid in my highschool.(I think that i have a very good ad fast metabolism). Michelle needs to undo it and let us have lots of un-fat free food AND DRINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOSE WITH ME???????? Because of her i don't eat at school anymore because of the nasty food they are being forced to serve.
Now i go home and RAID THE REFRIGERATOR AND CABINETS! NO MORE FAT-FREE FOOD AND DRINKS................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOSE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you should get off of your duff and make your own food, if you dont like what they serve. Ya know, since there is nothing that says you HAVE to eat school lunch.

It truly is sad to see how many people have forgotten that school lunch isnt about giving you whatever you want, for free.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I keep hearing people say "if you don't like what the schools serve for lunch, pack your kids lunches". I agree with that, but, part of this Federal intrusion is that the school can TAKE away what you pack for your child if they don't think that it is healthy enough.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by ladybug121

They have forgotten the children that come to school to fill there hungry tummies because theres not much groceries at home. Children are obviously obese because of whats happening at home, not school lunch.

What the ?!?!? Mind translating to logic? Hungry because of not much groceries at home, yet obese?

Yep. Obese because the foods their parents DO buy are crap. Donuts, chips, ice cream.... It's generally cheaper to buy junk and it keeps the kids from begging for sweets.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

So now Ms Obama is terrible for not shoving Little Debbie cakes and grease into their unhealthy butts? Evil Obamas and their SPINACH!
reply to post by stonebutterfly

How about it's not their business, or yours what other peoples' kids eat.

The sad thing is our kids are so used to eating junk and sugar they cant handle a decent meal.

Who says it's junk? are you feeding the "kids" of America?
Maybe just maybe some people eat what they like and maybe just maybe others can't afford the "organic" load of crap they try to sell you.

And then people just like you say we need to eat non-GMO food and "organic" food, yet it's all bullcrap, and almost all food has been GMO ever scenes the 70's

I don't care about anyone else, me and my family will eat what we want!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

So now Ms Obama is terrible for not shoving Little Debbie cakes and grease into their unhealthy butts? Evil Obamas and their SPINACH!
reply to post by stonebutterfly

How about it's not their business, or yours what other peoples' kids eat.

The sad thing is our kids are so used to eating junk and sugar they cant handle a decent meal.

Who says it's junk? are you feeding the "kids" of America?
Maybe just maybe some people eat what they like and maybe just maybe others can't afford the "organic" load of crap they try to sell you.

And then people just like you say we need to eat non-GMO food and "organic" food, yet it's all bullcrap, and almost all food has been GMO ever scenes the 70's

I don't care about anyone else, me and my family will eat what we want!

Sure its not their business. Its also not their job to give whatever YOU want for school lunch. If you CHOOSE to buy school lunch, you CHOOSE to eat what they serve.

I dont get why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

When is that Michelle going to admit GMO is badddddddddddddddd?

Send in my favorite chef Jamie Oliver!

Remember when the MSM came down hard on Michelle's Organic Garden !!!

www.johnrobbins.info...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I keep hearing people say "if you don't like what the schools serve for lunch, pack your kids lunches". I agree with that, but, part of this Federal intrusion is that the school can TAKE away what you pack for your child if they don't think that it is healthy enough.

And thats where it gets dodgy. Why should they dictate to us what we put in our kids lunchboxs. Both my kids are older now, in fact ones a teacher. If ive have given them wholemeal sandwichs they wouldnt have eaten them, however theyd eat tuna salad on white. So it the government decides that white bread is bad for our kids, then thats that is it? even if the white sandwich is packed with veggies?
One of my kids favourite dishes is stirfry broccoli with garlic ginger and soy. They love theyre veggies and and good cuts of meat and baked potato as opposed to chips. When they were younger i never gave them sweets or chocolate as reward or treat. Now i know this was risky, but i said if you want it, its there, so these sugary things have never been "special" to them. They'll eat a bowl of grapes before a pack of skittles. Ultimately its all about choice. Il echo something a poster said further up who works at Mcds, i work 16 hours a week at mcds, as a restaurant hostess. We get a free meal every shift. I make up my own meals generally differenct types of salads, current favourite being cheese grape and apple with caesar salad and a toasted bagel on the side. I CHOOSE to eat this. I wish i saw more children in the restaurant eating the fish fingers and carrot sticks and drinking the tropicana, but more and more im faced with seeing kids les than 10 years old eating large fries, box of 20 nuggets and a large chocolate milkshake followed by a mcflurry. Its depressing.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow just reading the comments in here clears up why there are so many problems in this area. Half of you guys blindly defend this crap because of who the president is.
Yes there is a severe problem but since when is it the govs responsibility? They don't give a # about you and neither does my gov't for that matter.
I bet michelle is getting involved with this as it has something to do with rationing health care.
In socialized medicine, you are basically at the mercy of your gov't so don't expect good care.
Here in canada our system is a mess and they don't fix it on purpose so they can keep jacking up the prices and in turn, our taxes.
If you have cancer, it doesn't matter, you still go on the waiting list.
Americans who are actively crying out for socialized medicine are incredibly naive and misinformed. You guys have 10 million illegal immigrants plus a huge population compared to canada.. So it's not the same thing
Don't believe the lies. This healthcare system will be used to fleece the population for even more money..
Had enough yet?

ps: mcdonals is definately NOT CHEAP SO WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT. EXCUSES!
A combo there is almost 10$ and thats enough to feed atleast 2 people healthy food. Maybe even 3 depending on the meal..

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed
Sadly there are many many factors that contribute to the obesity of the population in general. Yes, in general, as this is not an american thing at all,
It's paired with the assumptions that a) genetics aren't a factor
b) healthy food is expensive in general
c) water isn't important for metabolism
d) "diet" pop or diet snacks are progressive in nature
e) kids wont eat good food
f) fast food is cheap etc

Damn I could do the whole alphabet lol
Peace

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Honestly, all I can see from that list you posted, is good hearty meals, enough nutrition. Being a gym fanatic, I always eat light meals throughout the day. This keeps carb levels low, which makes you healthier and fitter.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join