It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The fact that people are complaining about this is absolutely absurd.
Of course kids think this stuff is bland, and isn't enough to fill them up. That's because they are used to eating ABSURDLY huge portions that are filled to the brim with sugar, calories, caffeine, etc etc.. This is what happens when you grow up eating ridiculously over-sized portions of ridiculously unhealthy garbage. Once you have to eat REASONABLE portions of reasonably healthy food, it isn't as satisfying. Are we really going to complain about an attempt to make children eat healthy? Is that how stupid our country has truly become? Would you rather allow children to continue shoveling their faces full of unhealthy poisonous garbage and growing morbidly obese, which in turn leads to increased cases of diabetes and heart disease, which in turn leads to a further health care costs? Holy hell, people. Get a damn clue.
Also, those meals listed for Obama's lunches are FAR better than anything my kid was served at school the last 2 years.

Kids are already hungry again when they get home? Who cares? I'm fairly certain they won't starve to death. O'm fairly certain their bodies will adjust and will, in the long term, be better off for it. This is a great example of how entitled, oblivious, and over-indulgent people have become.

"My kid had to eat portion sizes that fall in line with what is recommended by health agencies, and food that is marginally healthy to boot! Screw you, Obama!!!!"
edit on 25-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'd also say Michelle has about as much business talking about healthy eating as Betty Ford had telling the nation to stop drinking. If one is going to preach it, they need to live it....and I've lost count how many candid shots the media have had now of Michelle with one piece of fatty, fried or just plain junk food crammed between her lips or on it's way up.

Heck...At least eat in private if eating crap is the order of the day WHILE telling the nation to do otherwise. Hypocrisy defined, IMO.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

And she's not that slim herself. If you are going to set yourself up as the example of healthy eating and healthy lifestyle, then at least be in shape and stop eating junk in the public eye.

LOL true she is not good looking or slim but she sure thinks so. She probably has been greased with compliments for a while now and it's getting to her head.
Remember the media talking incessantly about michelles arms and saying she's beautiful like onassis?
This is probably wwhy, to move an agenda.
As I said before, it should give you guys pause that the gov't is "pretending to care".
They don't. All they want is your idolatry, rights and money

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wait a minute, did I miss the news where laws where passed requiring laws to making changes to lunch?

So far everything described in this thread sounds exactly like the lunch I experienced as a kid. The food was horrible, and didn't leave me anywhere near filled. Trash was always full of wasted food as well. The foods kids are complaining about eating seem to be the same foods I ate and complained about.

I think Michelle has every right to make suggestions for american families to follow, as a matter of fact it's become a tradition for first ladies to take on similar issues. it's what they do. I haven't seen any laws passed though. I haven't seen government stepping in. if it's officially happened please link me to articles of it.

I personally agree that allowing kids to live off lunchables, mcnuggets, pizza and other types of junk food isn't a good idea. beyond the risks of obesity, some foods actually have negative effects on our brains. Look up what the trans fat does to your brain, that means the french fries parents allow kids to live off of. There is nothing wrong with making suggestions for healthier diets.

I've recently lost nearly 100 pounds, and genuinely feel much better by simply cutting down mountains of junk food i grew up on. I didn't go on some crazy diet either, there is plenty of other options to junk food out there.
edit on 25-8-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by Komaratzi11

I dont understand, this sounds like the lunches back when I was in school, so where's the problem?
.. must be some new type of GMO being tested...

Anyways about the affecting Obama in the voting booth, that won't happen the votes are rigged, and I can promise Obama WILL win again.

Wouldn't be surprised if a major corp like monsanto gets a contract for "produce" when your healthcare system is running. Something is up!

The best few things you can do to stay in a healthy weight range:
1) eat 5 smaller meals instead of 2-3
2) EAT BREAKFAST and eat your fatty foods earlier in the day, NEVER at night
3) Drink water
4)EXERCISE. DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE. 1000S OF POSSIBILITIES
5)Avoid sodium and "empty" foods
6) Use herbs for flavor and don't be scared to use alot! It's good for you

Just by following those steps I am down to 5% b/f but i am also an ectomorph

Peace guys
edit on 25-8-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

So now Ms Obama is terrible for not shoving Little Debbie cakes and grease into their unhealthy butts? Evil Obamas and their SPINACH!
reply to post by stonebutterfly

How about it's not their business, or yours what other peoples' kids eat.

The sad thing is our kids are so used to eating junk and sugar they cant handle a decent meal.

Who says it's junk? are you feeding the "kids" of America?
Maybe just maybe some people eat what they like and maybe just maybe others can't afford the "organic" load of crap they try to sell you.

And then people just like you say we need to eat non-GMO food and "organic" food, yet it's all bullcrap, and almost all food has been GMO ever scenes the 70's

I don't care about anyone else, me and my family will eat what we want!

it doesn't have to be organic to be more healthy. If I say pizza, french fries, mcnuggets, soda and hot cheetos are not the most nutritious food for kids (or anyone) to eat why does the counter argument have to go to the extreme and act like no other options exist? There is plenty of other options.

And say your kids develop health problems from an entire childhood of eating this stuff daily, if you can't afford healthier food, will you be able to afford health care bills?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus
The fact that people are complaining about this is absolutely absurd.
Of course kids think this stuff is bland, and isn't enough to fill them up. That's because they are used to eating ABSURDLY huge portions that are filled to the brim with sugar, calories, caffeine, etc etc.. This is what happens when you grow up eating ridiculously over-sized portions of ridiculously unhealthy garbage. Once you have to eat REASONABLE portions of reasonably healthy food, it isn't as satisfying. Are we really going to complain about an attempt to make children eat healthy? Is that how stupid our country has truly become? Would you rather allow children to continue shoveling their faces full of unhealthy poisonous garbage and growing morbidly obese, which in turn leads to increased cases of diabetes and heart disease, which in turn leads to a further health care costs? Holy hell, people. Get a damn clue.
Also, those meals listed for Obama's lunches are FAR better than anything my kid was served at school the last 2 years.

Kids are already hungry again when they get home? Who cares? I'm fairly certain they won't starve to death. O'm fairly certain their bodies will adjust and will, in the long term, be better off for it. This is a great example of how entitled, oblivious, and over-indulgent people have become.

"My kid had to eat portion sizes that fall in line with what is recommended by health agencies, and food that is marginally healthy to boot! Screw you, Obama!!!!"

Talk about entitled, why is it that people feel they can tell you what to eat?
What about ectomorphs like myself? I can eat junk all day and not get too fat.. Think about what you're saying here. Yes there is a problem but why would these people be getting involved now? They're like 50 yrs too late.
It's for political reasons, not your health

When has the gov't really tried to help people honestly, without some kind of nefarious motivation?
Sounds likee you guys are being lullabied

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When my children came home hungry, and when asked said that they didn't eat the lunch provided at school because they didn't like it my wife and I let them wait till dinner time. This is a choice they made. They were free to make this choice but then they were expected to live with the consequences. Which was being hungry till dinner. If they had eaten lunch but were still hungry we would give them a snack.

Life is rough. You are free to make choices available to you. Those choices have consequences.

Edit: Let me add that we always had a copy of the lunch menu on the fridge. If they didn't like what was coming up, the kids had the option to ask for a sack lunch and we would be happy to make one for them.
edit on 8/25/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HamrHeed

I understand that people feel their personal freedoms are being encroached upon. I'm not even going to comment upon that. I don't even know where the hell they are coming from with that. Was there ever a time when kids got to choose what schools served? Surely not in my lifetime. We had to eat whatever the school offered that day, and it was usually unhealthy garbage. How is this any different? I truly see no difference between the school dictating what you eat, and the school having somebody telling them what they can dictate that you eat. In both cases, somebody else is making the choice besides the students. The only difference is that now it's somewhat healthier.

What i was mainly referring to is the fact that people are complaining that the portions are too small, our kids are still hungry, blah blah blah...that is sheer idiocy. It's because their diets up until this point have probably been absolutely horrendous, and they're used to portions and whatnot that are FAR beyond reasonable.
Shouldn't you WANT your child to eat a bit more healthy? How is that not a good thing? Why are people offended by the fact that their sugar and caffeine-addled children aren't pleased eating healthy food in healthy portions? Do they have zero concern for the long-term health of their children?

Maybe instead of immediately caving in and packing them lunches full of garbage, they should give the child's body time to adjust to a REASONABLE diet. Apparently that's just lunacy on my part?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HamrHeed

When has the gov't really tried to help people honestly, without some kind of nefarious motivation?

when Mrs Reagan told kids to say no to drugs was it part of some nefarious motivation? when Laura Bush promoted book festivals and encouraged kids to read, what was her nefarious motivation? Lady bird Johnson encouraged people to plant trees, are these trees now evolving into blood sucking vampires?

Michelle makes SUGGESTIONS that kids get exercise and eat better, and people act like she is acting as an overseer our children, and laws have been passed enforcing her will.

First ladies always do this stuff, they always make suggestions for kids and families, it's a bit of a tradition. If you wish to ignore their suggestion it's your choice, you have freedom to do that, but I'm not offended or scared of suggestions to eat good and get exercise.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
Some examples of the new lunches taken from my son's lunch calendar:
Tues. Hamburger on wheat bun, with no cheese; carrots and dip; orange
Wed. Soft taco on wheat tortilla, lettuce; tomato; refried beans; pineapple
Thurs. sloppy joe on wheat bun; salad; mixed fruit
Fri. Mini Corn dogs; spinach salad; pears

Honestly, how are people not grasping how absurd it is to complain about this??? Oh no, they made my kid eat a hamburger with no cheese! Oh no, they have to eat fruits and vegetables! Oh no, they are forced to eat reasonable portions that damn near anybody outside of the US would find to be, at worst, completely normal! The humanity!!!!

Do you people not realize how entitled and idiotic this makes us sound?
And, once again: who the hell do you think made the menus before this? It sure as hell wasn't a case of students picking the menus. There has ALWAYS been somebody regulating what schools serve. How is this any different?

i swear, stuff like this makes me question the intelligence and self-awareness of the general US population. It's beyond absurd to complain about this.
Can you imagine people in other countries complaining about this? They made my kid eat hamburgers and sloppy joes and tacos, those bastards!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

I'm lucky my son's school has a decent menu, there's always fruit & veggies, it's $2.75 for breakfast & lunch..and I also send him in with some extra fruit just in case (he's a massive fruit fan). Even though I feed him breakfast he'll sometimes have to go for more when he gets to school...(seem's to coincide with growth spurts) and he always wants a snack when he gets home. He's a reasonably active kid and he's not overweight.

We're losing the war against obesity in the US. It's sad, but true. Our kids are growing up overweight and malnourished from a diet of processed foods, and today's children will be the first generation ever to live shorter lives than their parents. It's time for change. It's time for a Food Revolution. Jamie Oliver

Jamies site with idea's on how to get healthier food in your school & at home.
www.jamieoliver.com...

for more facts & figures, Obesity currently costs our health system far more than smoking..and it's only getting worse...
www.jamieoliver.com...

I'm with anyone putting out a healthy eating and exercise message, because who wants to see kids with type 2 diabete's dying early from heart disease & strokes ?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche

when Mrs Reagan told kids to say no to drugs was it part of some nefarious motivation? when Laura Bush promoted book festivals and encouraged kids to read, what was her nefarious motivation? Lady bird Johnson encouraged people to plant trees, are these trees now evolving into blood sucking vampires?

Michelle makes SUGGESTIONS that kids get exercise and eat better, and people act like she is acting as an overseer our children, and laws have been passed enforcing her will.

First ladies always do this stuff, they always make suggestions for kids and families, it's a bit of a tradition. If you wish to ignore their suggestion it's your choice, you have freedom to do that, but I'm not offended or scared of suggestions to eat good and get exercise.

Yeah but there are laws against drugs so it's not quite the same thing. I do agree that drugs like crack and heroin need to be illegal but I struggle to say the same about weed when ALCOHOL is legal and it destroys so many people, it's sickening

We need some restrictions but we don't need a virtual web of laws that serve only one purpose and that is to slowly erode away the rights and in effect the will of the people to RECOGNIZE their god given rights.
That is why there is a push to discredit christianity because it's heavily skewed in favor of natural GOD given rights.
Once they destroy the perception of god in society, they can move in and place one of their own. Just like rome, just like hitler, stalin mao

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

That is why there is a push to discredit christianity because it's heavily skewed in favor of natural GOD given rights.
Once they destroy the perception of god in society, they can move in and place one of their own. Just like rome, just like hitler, stalin mao

Those pesky Romans, discrediting Christianity BEFORE it was even formed so they could "move in and place one of their own." That is truly devious....

Also, it's perpetually boggles my mind that Christians seem to think there was, and would be, no such thing as natural rights without Christianity. Open a history book. Read up on pre-Christian societies. As amazing as it may seem to you, there was a concept of natural rights well before Christianity came along. But by all means, continue to delude youraelf into believing that Christianity is the sole source of all morals.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
While I agree that the White House or any Gov. Entity should stay out of our schools, the fact of the matter is that American’s have an obesity problem. More so than anyone other country in the world! People complain because healthy food is too expensive, and that is why they are forced to eat all the unhealthy stuff. And of course now that kids have the opportunity to eat healthy food, god forbid they eat it! It sounds pretty hypocritical to me. I can tell you exactly what is happening here. The kids are whining to Mom and Dad about all the healthy food that doesn’t taste like McDonalds, and Mom and Dad are whining because the kids don’t like it! Here’s a thought…..Stop spoiling your little brats! If the kids have a chance to eat healthy food at the same cost, why take it away? I am curious as to how many of the parents complaining, have an obesity problem of their own???

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
I can tell you exactly what is happening here. The kids are whining to Mom and Dad about all the healthy food that doesn’t taste like McDonalds, and Mom and Dad are whining because the kids don’t like it! Here’s a thought…..Stop spoiling your little brats!

A-freaking-men!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Sure its not their business. Its also not their job to give whatever YOU want for school lunch. If you CHOOSE to buy school lunch, you CHOOSE to eat what they serve. I dont get why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Yes and no.
If the school (using my taxpayer money) wants to sell whatever and kids choose to buy it, then fine.
If kids choose to bring their own food then fine (and it's no ones concern what they bring)
But you said if you choose to buy school lunch you get what they serve, so that,s okay for kids, but you don't give money to bugerking and take what they give you, do you?

Anyone who pay's for food should have a choice in what they eat. Why do we believe our kids are so dumb they can't pick their own food?

To GRASP the truth of what is really going on please watch the documentary "War On Kids"

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Non-story.

My kids have been eating healthy lunches like this for at least 4-5 years and they are very healthy, very active and extremely alert in school.

Parents need to take a page out of Mrs. Obama's book and script their own healthy lunch combinations for their children. She may not be a nutritionist but she has the right idea for healthy lunches.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Yes, the ENTIRE country seems to have gone mad to allow these buffoons to continue to tell us what to put in our child's bodies for nutrition. Most of it is CEREAL based including the "BURGERS" Most of it contains or is sprayed with chemicals to increase open air longevity and usually stuff we do NOT necessarily want IN our children. Just look at Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and you will see what I mean. I think he did two seasons of work in the USA. Not sure if he's given up as most of these people who make the decisions on our children's school food are trying to SAVE MONEY not keep our kids healthy. And they are VERY careful to make sure WE have ZERO say as parents who are PAYING FOR IT ALL.

The reason the children are HUNGRY at the end of the day is too small of portions and improper nutritional value in most of the foods to maintain that proper full feeling until the next meal. Meat should be MEAT not Cereal with meat - Protein is what keeps us from being HUNGRY. That is why they are hungry when they get home. Mostly what they get at school is CARBOHYDRATE based if you truly look at what's going into the food and how it's bastardized by too much cooking and too many chemicals. WHY do WE NOT have a SAY?
edit on 25-8-2012 by Opportunia because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by Opportunia because: Clarification

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
When my children came home hungry, and when asked said that they didn't eat the lunch provided at school because they didn't like it my wife and I let them wait till dinner time. This is a choice they made. They were free to make this choice but then they were expected to live with the consequences. Which was being hungry till dinner. If they had eaten lunch but were still hungry we would give them a snack.

Life is rough. You are free to make choices available to you. Those choices have consequences.

Edit: Let me add that we always had a copy of the lunch menu on the fridge. If they didn't like what was coming up, the kids had the option to ask for a sack lunch and we would be happy to make one for them.
edit on 8/25/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

You know what, what you just said about how you treat your kids and their eating sounds like massive tough love. But ultimately I think your so right, they dont have to starve in school, even if the food is "healthy" if their really that hungry theyd eat it. The problem is, kids have be come too spoilt. When i was a girl i had to eat what was on my plate, i had no say in what it was, unlike today when i ask my kids what they want for supper everyday.

I admire you for your stance .Good parenting.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AliceBlackman
reply to post by mahatche

I'm lucky my son's school has a decent menu, there's always fruit & veggies, it's $2.75 for breakfast & lunch..and I also send him in with some extra fruit just in case (he's a massive fruit fan). Even though I feed him breakfast he'll sometimes have to go for more when he gets to school...(seem's to coincide with growth spurts) and he always wants a snack when he gets home. He's a reasonably active kid and he's not overweight.

We're losing the war against obesity in the US. It's sad, but true. Our kids are growing up overweight and malnourished from a diet of processed foods, and today's children will be the first generation ever to live shorter lives than their parents. It's time for change. It's time for a Food Revolution. Jamie Oliver

Jamies site with idea's on how to get healthier food in your school & at home.
www.jamieoliver.com...

for more facts & figures, Obesity currently costs our health system far more than smoking..and it's only getting worse...
www.jamieoliver.com...

I'm with anyone putting out a healthy eating and exercise message, because who wants to see kids with type 2 diabete's dying early from heart disease & strokes ?

I agree 100%, i don't get the outrage. It's annoying that the idea of healthy living has become politicized, Michelle suggests we eat healthy, and palin shows up at school with cookies to fight the good fight against librals and their communist eat reasonably propaganda. This is the part of politics I hate, it's so petty. I never in my life thought a suggestion to eat good and exercise would be controversial. I guess we should protest doctors as well, it's the same advice they'd give.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join