learn more

Michelle Obama's New School Lunches Are A Flop

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Opportunia

You have 100% say in what your child eats, you can send them to school with a lunch. Stop acting as though you are a victim.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hmm, sucks for this new generation because I enjoyed school lunches up until highschool. But in high school, I transferred to the big inner city schools (and their food was disgusting and rank) where as before between elementary and middle school I went to what would be considered a small town country bunkin district. (Texas)

Our chicken nuggets were real, served with mashed potatoes, green beans, and a roll w/ a choice of milk,
Hamburgers with tots, turkey burgers, hot dogs with tots, the beef burritos were great, Chicken fried steak was awesome & pizza was the bomb. If you didn't want to eat that, there was always an alternative or you could have the teachers salad. The only food I ever passed up was the sloppy joes, they have never been my thing. There were only one or two kids that were overweight and it really wasn't a mystery as to why, They didn't participate in gym, they were the ones always eating more candy and more soda at school and when you saw them outside of school.

I have to wonder though, isnt eating too much wheat bad for you? I myself got sick from having too many wheat bread & turkey sandwiches one month.

edit on 25-8-2012 by LightWarrior11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
When I was a kid in school in the 80's and 90's, I remember that there was one, maybe two overweight/obese children per class.

In a matter of 20 years, it has almost done a complete flip flop.

People don't want government interference and that's fine, no one really does. At some point though if things don't change soon the life expectancy of our children is going to be in their 50's, regardless of modern medicine.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Opportunia
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Yes, the ENTIRE country seems to have gone mad to allow these buffoons to continue to tell us what to put in our child's bodies for nutrition. Most of it is CEREAL based including the "BURGERS" Most of it contains or is sprayed with chemicals to increase open air longevity and usually stuff we do NOT necessarily want IN our children. Just look at Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and you will see what I mean. I think he did two seasons of work in the USA. Not sure if he's given up as most of these people who make the decisions on our children's school food are trying to SAVE MONEY not keep our kids healthy. And they are VERY careful to make sure WE have ZERO say as parents who are PAYING FOR IT ALL.

The reason the children are HUNGRY at the end of the day is too small of portions and improper nutritional value in most of the foods to maintain that proper full feeling until the next meal. Meat should be MEAT not Cereal with meat - Protein is what keeps us from being HUNGRY. That is why they are hungry when they get home. Mostly what they get at school is CARBOHYDRATE based if you truly look at what's going into the food and how it's bastardized by too much cooking and too many chemicals. WHY do WE NOT have a SAY?
edit on 25-8-2012 by Opportunia because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-8-2012 by Opportunia because: Clarification

While it is possible to have portions that are to small, I also think the current American idea of portion is out of wack. Eating until you are full is not the ideal portion. This is the single change I made to my diet, for the most part I still eat whatever I want, I reduced the amount of fried food, eat small sides of fruits and veggies, and no longer drink soda, but other than that very little has changed.

At the start of the year I weighed 325 pounds, and I had a habit of eating big portions so i felt full. At first the change to reasonable normal human portions did leave me hungry, it did take some will power to stick to it, but my body eventually readjusted itself to new portions. Now I require less and still feel satisfied. I have way more energy, I don't feel lethargic, I don't take naps, when I work hard I can go longer, mentally I have better focus.

I've lost 87 pounds without even going to the gym. All I did was reduce my portions and stop eating french fries every day. After a break from Soda it actually upsets my stomach to drink one. If I eat my old potions my stomach hurts because it's way to much, but for years it was the norm and I was used to it.

I've learned that it's possible to be hungry out of habit.

I've also learned that foods full of trans fat keep you hungry, because in time trans fat begins to block receptors in your brain that control this stuff. I'm very interested in neuroscience, so this is was inspired me to finally test it out. I value my mental health so I approached it as an experiment, and I've personally experienced positive physical and mental changes since making the change. I can't see myself ever going back.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Yes, the ENTIRE country seems to have gone mad to allow these buffoons to continue to tell us what to put in our child's bodies for nutrition.

Sweet lord....what the hell do you think happened before this program? Do you think all of the kids took a vote every morning to decide what the school would serve them for lunch? No. The school chose what was served. HOW DARE THEY!!!

And i've got news for you: what the schools served was TERRIBLE. There were days when the main course at my kid's school lunch was a cheese sandwich. Literally just two slices of white bread with a single slice of American cheese in between. Was that somehow better than what Obama's plan calls for?

What you people should be worried about are the guns that are apparently being held to your heads forcing you to send your kids to school without a packed lunch. I had no idea there was a law forcing each child to eat the school's lunch every day....
edit on 25-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Does anyone who has a problem with Michelle's suggestion deny that this country has a child obesity problem?

Or are you just angry that someone connected to politics made a suggestion?
edit on 25-8-2012 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Opportunia

Yes MEAT when I eat venison I'm not hungry for a day or more real meat is what humans need

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

That's funny. I don't eat meat, and i eat very small portions. Yet i don't seem to have any problem with being overly hungry. Care to explain that?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus

Yes, the ENTIRE country seems to have gone mad to allow these buffoons to continue to tell us what to put in our child's bodies for nutrition.

Sweet lord....what the hell do you think happened before this program? Do you think all of the kids took a vote every morning to decide what the school would serve them for lunch? No. The school chose what was served. HOW DARE THEY!!!

Hey now, my old school let us vote for what was served on Fridays, but it never really mattered because there was always- always an alternative meal available or you get the big salad. This was the 90s though. Sigh...the early 90s..Maybe they should allow the kids & parents to decide so long as its in the budget. Or the school can raise money for better lunches.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

We never had any choice. There was one meal available each day, none of which were chosen by the students. This was also in the 90's. You either ate that one meal that was offered, or you packed a lunch.
And as i said previously, before this program came into effect, the lunches that were being served to my child were HORRENDOUS. Two pieces of white bread with a single slice of American cheese in between was the main course on numerous days.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
go figure

another flop, courtesy of the obamas.

this is what happens, when people who think they are smarter than everyone else, gain power.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i dont know if someone has mentioned this before, and it might be slightly off topic, but mr mod please leave it in because i think its interesting. in the UK, more money is spent on prison food than school food, how can that be? Obviously grown people eat more than kids, but in my opinion theres something very wrong in that.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, it's probably not so much the food but the fact that kids just don't exercise.

Why exercise and interact with your peers when there is so much awesome technology at your fingertips? Gym? Please, mom write me an excuse note.

Also after school, kids played outside til the street lights came on, i rarely see any kids doing that today.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
Now that I think about it, it's probably not so much the food but the fact that kids just don't exercise.

Why exercise and interact with your peers when there is so much awesome technology at your fingertips? Gym? Please, mom write me an excuse note.

Also after school, kids played outside til the street lights came on, i rarely see any kids doing that today.

There is a playground and basketball court right down the street from me. It used to be full of kids on a daily basis. But I honestly couldn't even tell you the last time i actually saw a child other than my own playing there. It's been ages. It makes me legitimately sad.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I disagree, the way you eat directly effects your energy levels. Think back to your childhood, do you remember fat kids running around outside? when they did how long could they run around before getting tired before the skinny kids? When playing is hard for kids to do, something is wrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

To be honest, i think its combination of the both. Theres never been so much fast food availble in the world ever; But i think lack of exercise is huge part of it too. When i was a kid in the seventies, i played out all the time. The only two bits of tech i had was a tape recorder and record player in a bright red suitcase
. Unfortunatly kids are now in a virtual world, making "friends " with people who probably wouldnt p*** on them if they were on fire,, computer games, surfing the internet
. Basically, you dont lose much weight sitting on your bum all day.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I had the opportunity to speak to one of the lunch ladies from my son's school. She informed me that the government made large changes to the lunch program, but only allowed for 6 cents per lunch to pay for the new changes. The healthier foods that fit into the new guidelines are more expensive and it allows the district less money to work with per lunch in the long run. Without a doubt, the weather conditions this year will make for more costly food purchases which will affect them even more.

This lady has worked for the school cafeteria for many years and it pained her that she couldn't do more to improve the quality of the lunches. At one time, the school prepared lunches that were more homestyle and filling, but now the kitchen is more heat and eat. This happened due to past cost cutting measures. The lunch workers have strict guidelines to follow and tight budgets. They don't have the freedom to whip up a quality, healthy meal like we would at home.

I don't really think that the idea of feeding kids a healthier menu is a bad idea, but this is one of those situations where it worked on paper, but wasn't necessarily feasible in the real world. At least not with the budgets we are seeing most schools operating with.

For the few who felt that the parents of my community were complaining as the taxpayer pays for a free or reduced lunch, this is a fairly affluent community. The kids on free/reduced lunch are still getting it, as they have no other choice. How much they eat depends on the child themselves. My son usually carries his lunch anyway, and he always has come home hungry after school anyway. I think these parents were noticing more after school munchies than usual. Also, it has always been common in our town to see people taking their kids to Subway or Dairy Queen after school, but I think most of those kids were in athletic programs. They get a quick meal prior to getting on a bus for a game.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well this is not surprising... Have you ever known anyone with the last name of Obama to do something right? I sure haven't. These kind of mishaps must run in the family, I suppose. We had good hearty school lunches back in the day... poor kids!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty

So now Ms Obama is terrible for not shoving Little Debbie cakes and grease into their unhealthy butts? Evil Obamas and their SPINACH!
reply to post by stonebutterfly

How about it's not their business, or yours what other peoples' kids eat.

The sad thing is our kids are so used to eating junk and sugar they cant handle a decent meal.

Who says it's junk? are you feeding the "kids" of America?
Maybe just maybe some people eat what they like and maybe just maybe others can't afford the "organic" load of crap they try to sell you.

And then people just like you say we need to eat non-GMO food and "organic" food, yet it's all bullcrap, and almost all food has been GMO ever scenes the 70's

I don't care about anyone else, me and my family will eat what we want!

I don't even know what to say to this, except you clearly have issues with logic, and don't know what you're talking about. And sure, it's not their business what you feed your kids - they're not making it their business. They've changed the guidelines on what food options state-funded schools serve to those who choose not to provide their own. The silliness is, you can feed your kid better food, for less money, if you pack it yourself

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Once again:
Saying they have no business deciding what to feed your kids is stupid for so many reasons that it's hard to even cover them all.

Here's a news flash for you: school lunches have been dictated by government agencies since well before this particular act.
The National School Lunch Program, implemented by FDR, had been in effect since 1946. Did you care about that? Is FDR evil? Were you even aware of this program?
Oh no, FDR made it so that school lunches had to meet specific USDA guidelines!! OH NO!!!

Every single person on this forum went to school AFTER the mid-40's, obviously. Meaning every single one of us grew up with school lunches which were dictated by government agencies. What is the difference, other than the fact that one was implemented by FDR and one by Obama?

Oh no!!! Obama took the pre-existing government restrictions/guidelines placed on school lunches and simply updated the nutritional standards to fall in line with modern findings about nutrition!!! OH NO!!!!
edit on 25-8-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join