It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 shot in overnight violence, 8 in one incident

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by kennylee

thank you for confirming that guns are NOT banned in Chicago.

fyi ... "guns" in general have NEVER been banned in Chicago.
A 28-yr handgun ban existed alongside legally & illegally owned rifles of all sorts, all within the same city limits.

however, Chicago does have the MOST restrictive ownership regulations in the country, so if this is exemplary of how that's working out, perhaps they need a change, not all of America.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

THis is what happens when you allow society to arm itself. There can be only one outcome.

ou need to hand over the weapons before you can progress as a society. Trust. Let go of the fear.

And what government agency do you work for? Hand over our guns? You have to be kidding. You are not an American, are you?
Hand over our guns.....best laugh I have had today.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Again I don't agree.
Here's why.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by smokenmirrors

Sorry, got my "I" states mixed up. You are right. I should of stated Illinois.

Here is where it gets a little deceitful. My state is listed as "may issue". You have to ask permission to cc. But they mostly say no. I have known women who are being stalked by abusive ex husbands and the state still says no.

So they skirt the 2nd amendment by saying they may issue, but pretty much that unless you are LE, you get turned down.
edit on 24-8-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Again another post.
This time about gun town usa. kennesaw ga.

linky

This year marked the 29th anniversary of Kennesaw’s ordinance requiring that every household to keep at least one firearm with ammunition. Exceptions include conscientious objectors, criminals, mentally handicapped, and people who cannot afford a gun.

The1982 law states that its purpose is to “protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”
Another interesting fact is pointed by Kennesaw Mayor Mark Matthews,One would think that a city known as “Guntown, USA” would have a high criminal rate, but that is not the case in Kennesaw.

So you'd think that shootings would be rampant right? Since everyone is armed?
Not so.

According to the city of Kennesaw official website, after the passage of the gun law, the burglary rate in Kennesaw declined.The top crime in Kennesaw is theft under a $100 value, according to Lt. Craig Graydon, Kennesaw’s detective commander.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
BULLET TAX BULLET TAX BULLET TAX people would think twice spending 50 bucks a shot

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacejosh
BULLET TAX BULLET TAX BULLET TAX people would think twice spending 50 bucks a shot

SMELT LEAD, SMELT LEAD, SMELT LEAD, purchase powder, re-use brass casing found on the streets of Chicago, smelt some lead, and reload your own

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Oh I would love people to tax bullets to death. I stocked enough components for reloading to keep trucking for years. It'd make me a fortune to be able to make bullets if factory stuff got so expensive people stopped shooting because of it. Given that there were runs on powder, primers and the copper bullets themselves for extended periods right before Obama won and immediately after, there are millions just like me in that respect.

Now that is economic boost to believe in. Indeed... It'd make many many gun enthusiasts wealthy, quickly.

edit on 24-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wish to god that a citizen had been armed in that Seattle theatre. I wish someone could have had a chance to defend themselves.

I wish to god that a citizen had been armed on that island in Sweden. Then someone could have saved the lives of many.

I wish to god that a citizen had been armed at that block party in Toronto. Then maybe a 14 year old girl would still be alive.

Why in heaven's name would a nation of law-abiding citizens agree to make self-defense the sole priviledge of the police?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Again another post.
This time about gun town usa. kennesaw ga.

linky

This year marked the 29th anniversary of Kennesaw’s ordinance requiring that every household to keep at least one firearm with ammunition. Exceptions include conscientious objectors, criminals, mentally handicapped, and people who cannot afford a gun.

The1982 law states that its purpose is to “protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”
Another interesting fact is pointed by Kennesaw Mayor Mark Matthews,One would think that a city known as “Guntown, USA” would have a high criminal rate, but that is not the case in Kennesaw.

So you'd think that shootings would be rampant right? Since everyone is armed?
Not so.

According to the city of Kennesaw official website, after the passage of the gun law, the burglary rate in Kennesaw declined.The top crime in Kennesaw is theft under a $100 value, according to Lt. Craig Graydon, Kennesaw’s detective commander.
yeah but kennesaw is an affluent town were most people are wealthy and most crime is by teens try this in an urban inner city and see what happens

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

except that you would be selling contraband and would be imprisoned for years if i was in charge.
when your high school girlfriend get shot in the face at a party you tend to not have any respect for scared little gun toting pussies.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Another "guns are bad" thread.
Look, here are the cold, hard facts. If you take guns from law abiding people, the criminals will have a field day. They will get weapons, they will use them and all you have is a phone with a dispatcher on the other end listening to you die. The only way it would work is to gather EVERY gun on Earth, destroy them and never make more. It is not the guns, it is the person bent on killing. Yeah, I know, it makes it easier. How about Molotov cocktails? Ramming a car into a crowd? There are many ways to do mass damage.
I would like to see every anti gun person put a sign in their front yard, "We Do Not Believe In Guns and Do Not Own Any" What? You think that would point to you as an easy mark and you don't want to be a victim? Now you're gettin' the idea.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
THIS thread should be placed in the disinformation forum!

A few days ago a drunk driver killed 8 children aged 5 to 7 when the pickup he was driving rolled at high speed.

Which do you want to ban, alcohol or pickup?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
I'm amused. The people of Chicago are disarmed. There are no legal weapons carried by the citizens of Chicago on the streets in Chicago.

The truth is this, the shootings you list are a direct result of criminals, in illegal possession of firearms, killing law abiding innocents who have no legal right to carry a firearm to defend themselves against the lawless vermin.

This is the exact issue and it is great you point it out so eloquently. Chicago has no concealed carry law. The citizens have been disarmed for years. Yet these shootings continue.

You see, when you take firearms from those who can legally have them, you do not restrict the criminal in the slightest.

It is a common understanding in the world of those law abiding citizens who legally own and carry firearms that one of the most favored arenas for a criminal to wantonly kill innocents is where firearms are prohibited.

edit on 24-8-2012 by smokenmirrors because: (no reason given)

I totally agree, criminals will always get weapons. Here in the UK guns are illegal unless it is for hunting/farmers/gun clubs etc where it is very controlled, however criminal gangs still get hold of guns and lesser criminals who can not get guns carry knives, which are also now illegal to carry.
Personally I don't like guns and even if they were legal I don't know that I would have one (mainly for fear of accidents) but with the event of now being able to use a 3D printer to actually print guns one of many sources it is going to be even more difficult to stop criminals and nutters getting guns.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

except that you would be selling contraband and would be imprisoned for years if i was in charge.
when your high school girlfriend get shot in the face at a party you tend to not have any respect for scared little gun toting pussies.

I'm extremely sorry for what you experienced. However, there are an estimated 270 MILLION firearms in somewhere around 120 MILLION private hands.

Disarming America will not happen in our lifetimes, if ever. Period. End of story and a fuuuuull stop. Single gun collections in this part of the nation running a dozen or more are common and gun shows sell ammo by the cases......to the point of selling out fairly regularly and have for at least 6 years now.

So..as much as guns lead to tragedy, to do a thousand other things..and it's horrible but for every shooting that killed in anger or crime, I can show you another incident where weapons were used to save a life or protect other people. It;s a trade off.....but the pure numbers mean it's a situation that simply WILL NOT CHANGE...as much as some may really wish strongly that were possible.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
as i was posting there was another shooting in NY amazing
these are examples of regular people legally getting weapons and committing horrible crimes.
so all you guys claiming its the criminals with guns who cause the trouble and your just protecting yourself,WTF
why are you "good guys" killing everybody?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spacejosh

yeah but kennesaw is an affluent town were most people are wealthy and most crime is by teens try this in an urban inner city and see what happens

'See what happens'?
You don't seriously think that urban core households are unarmed, do you?

I live in an older surburban area, adjacent to the worst neighborhood in our city, and the gang-bangers are now beginning to show up here, slowly moving out from the urban ghettos. This is a peaceful, quiet, established and reasonably-maintained working-class neighborhood, with all ethnicities represented except for Native Americans. On my block, everyone has guns, and we don't have much trouble. We also call the police whenever we see something untoward going on, or strangers prowling around...the trouble-makers know they are unwelcome and the police know we are unhappy about it.

We all know each other -- if only to wave as we pass by. We are out and visible during the day, at night it is quiet. It is a peaceful, slow-paced rhythm, and we want to keep it that way.

Within half a mile, there are Section 8 Housing projects and many issues amongst those folks. At the corner (the yard next to mine but facing the other street, a recently released ex-con moved in, and he was fine until his extended family and hangers-on started showing up; they are loud, obnoxious, rude, and unfriendly.....and behave as though this is the ghetto. We continue to call LEOs, every single time. They have quieted down some, but they are a hair's-breadth away from being run off altogether, and they KNOW we are armed.

We made sure they know it. So they pretty much leave us alone. Besides that, there are several of us who are not working (one income households)...and most of those are retired men or self-employed; I happen to be female and a damned good shot.

We discuss these things, and our troublesome neighbors SEE us discussing things and practicing with airsoft pistols. My husband doesn't answer the door without his 9 mm in his hand and a look out the window first. They leave us alone. As for the thugs and criminals down the street, as far as we're concerned, if they were better shots and just annihilated one another ... I don't think any of us legally armed home owners would do much complaining about it.

See how that works?

Ughh....I used to be a no-guns anywhere near this house kind of person. Now I'm damned glad I know how to handle a weapon and have been taught to defend myself, including DISARMING a person. I am not afraid; and it's fear that is the worst enemy.

edit on 24-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I'm watching the news on the N.Y. shooting...word is it was a robbery...sounds like more bad guys to me....

Des

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

why would you class someone who shoots another person for no reason as a "good citizen" instead of classing them as a criminal?

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever!

Tired of Control

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

'See what happens'?
You don't seriously think that urban core households are unarmed, do you?

I live in an older surburban area, adjacent to the worst neighborhood in our city, and the gang-bangers are now beginning to show up here, slowly moving out from the urban ghettos. This is a peaceful, quiet, established and reasonably-maintained working-class neighborhood, with all ethnicities represented except for Native Americans. On my block, everyone has guns, and we don't have much trouble. We also call the police whenever we see something untoward going on, or strangers prowling around...the trouble-makers know they are unwelcome and the police know we are unhappy about it.

We all know each other -- if only to wave as we pass by. We are out and visible during the day, at night it is quiet. It is a peaceful, slow-paced rhythm, and we want to keep it that way.

Within half a mile, there are Section 8 Housing projects and many issues amongst those folks. My neighbor is a recently released ex-con, and he was fine until his extended family and hangers-on started showing up; they are loud, obnoxious, rude, and unfriendly.....and behave as though this is the ghetto. We continue to call LEOs, every single time. They have quieted down some, but they are a hair's-breadth away from being run off altogether, and they KNOW we are armed.

We made sure they know it. So they pretty much leave us alone. Besides that, there are several of us who are not working (one income households)...and most of those are retired men or self-employed; I happen to be female and a damned good shot.

We discuss these things, and our troublesome neighbors SEE us discussing things and practicing with airsoft pistols. My husband doesn't answer the door without his 9 mm in his hand and a look out the window first. They leave us alone. As for the thugs and criminals down the street, as far as we're concerned, if they were better shots and just annihilated one another ... I don't think any of us legally armed home owners would do much complaining about it.

See how that works?

Ughh....I used to be a no-guns anywhere near this house kind of person. Now I'm damned glad I know how to handle a weapon and have been taught to defend myself, including DISARMING a person. I am not afraid; and it's fear that is the worst enemy.
uh of course not. but you missed the point
you ARE so scared, it must be terrible to exist like that.
you live you die but don't go around pointing fingers,
and acting like its all those low class people messing it up
look in the mirror my friend oh and your no safer with a gun
just more likely to kill someone.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join