It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camouflage face paint 'resists intense heat from bombs'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is pretty cool and seems to have all round usage applications

US scientists have developed a camouflage skin paint said to withstand intense heat. Funded by the US Department of Defense, it could protect soldiers' faces during explosions, and help firefighters. It is said to resist temperatures up to 600C - as hot as a burning cigarette - for up to 15 seconds. Heatwaves from a bomb blast lasted two seconds and could cook skin, the team from the University of Southern Mississippi said. The researchers presented the material at a meeting of the American Chemical Society in Philadelphia.

Heat-resistant paint for equipment with high operating temperatures, such as boilers, fans and ovens, has existed for some time, but the new substance is also waterproof, non-irritating, easy to apply - and it repels insects.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Non-Irritating? I wonder if it has any side effects like most Rx? I have an allergy to nickel, titanium, and thimerosal. Gives me bad rashes, if the ingredients are close to that, then I can't wear it.

15 seconds is a very long time when you are pumped full of adrenaline jumping for your life when a heat blaze is heading your way. How long before any of us get to try it out, do you think?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

It is silcone based and

All military camouflage paint in the US has to contain an insect repellent called Deet, which is extremely flammable. To ensure it does not catch fire, the scientists mixed it with a water-rich hydrogel substance.

Don't like that Deet #, gotta be something harmful in that.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What if i got naked and put it all over my body, do i become explosion proof?

In seriousness, very cool. Any advantage on the battlefield keeps our troops alive and healthy. I to would be concerned of the ingredients of such a product...Something must be poisonous.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This link has a video of an experiment set up by the developers showing the temperature difference in a piece of material heated by a blowtorch, one with this new paint covering one without.

dvice.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

S+F

I totally agree it's probably got some nasty stuff in it but for insect repellant, I doubt there's anything better. When I was in the Boy Scouts we always had to check the DEET % before we left for a camping trip.

I read about this story as well and my reaction to the headline was: Wasn't the face paint non-flammable to begin with? I always assumed it was grease paint and I didn't think grease caught fire. But yea, it sounds like it could have a bunch more applications besides war paint.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Isn't DEET quite harmful though? At least in high quantities and regular use?

Sounds like a decent amount of time to withstand exposure to extreme heat.

Laboratory experiments showed that the new makeup could protect skin for as long as 15 seconds before its temperature rose high enough to produce mild first-degree burns. In some tests, the paint provided protection as long as 60 seconds, Lochhead said, which could give soldiers time to escape from a blast zone.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Deet is wonderful for repelling the insects, but its not all that great for people. The insect repellent they used to issue us had an ungodly high Deet content, and would, if dripped on it, completely dissolve the plastic barrel of the issued skill-craft ink pen in short order.

Still, it beats leaches...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Interesting, would make for a great corpse paint. :3

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

dis they steal it from maurice ward the inventor of starlite fire resistant material.

he showed paint which could resist a blow torch.

top topics

join