It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran bans women from Universities - because the men are being upstaged!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Under the new policy, women undergraduates will be excluded from a broad range of studies in some of the country's leading institutions, including English literature, English translation, hotel management, archaeology, nuclear physics, computer science, electrical engineering, industrial engineering and business management. The Oil Industry University, which has several campuses across the country, says it will no longer accept female students at all, citing a lack of employer demand. Isfahan University provided a similar rationale for excluding women from its mining engineering degree, claiming 98% of female graduates ended up jobless.

If there was ever a situation where men felt intimidated by a womans intellectual prowess then this is it.

It follows years in which Iranian women students have outperformed men, a trend at odds with the traditional male-dominated outlook of the country's religious leaders. Women outnumbered men by three to two in passing this year's university entrance exam.

I personally know two Iranian women, whom are friends of my wife, they live in Perth, Western Australia, and they would both have to be the brightest young ladies I have ever met - both academically in their chosen fields (both doing Doctorates) and socially in regards to civil rights. I have just been liaising with one of them and she has given me these eight words to pass onto ATS that sum up the male dominated attitudes in her homeland:-

"small d#@k syndrome hidden behind outdated religious dogma".

And.......thats what it is........nothing more and nothing less.

No country need attack Iran - the Clerics are doing a damn good job of destroying their own country from within.

Senior clerics in Iran's theocratic regime have become concerned about the social side-effects of rising educational standards among women, including declining birth and marriage rates.

I find this a violation of human rights, and as much as I cannot stand the UN and its global agenda, I hope they do something about this - and pronto..............totally unacceptable situation, imo.

Writing to Ban Ki Moon, the UN secretary general, and Navi Pillay, the high commissioner for human rights, Mrs Ebadi, a human rights lawyer exiled in the UK, said the real agenda was to reduce the proportion of female students to below 50% – from around 65% at present – thereby weakening the Iranian feminist movement in its campaign against discriminatory Islamic laws.

The Telegraph............

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Iran is not as evil as America and Israel say, BUT, Sharia law prevails in Iran, which is not a democracy. How do I know that? No, not from the Internet. A friend flies every summer for 4-6 weeks in his home country (Iran) And he had the happening before his eyes.

Let's face it, Iran is in the stone ages when it comes to how they treat their women.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Is this accurate, or is it just yet another propaganda piece on the mighty evil Iran who hates women and wants Israel wiped off the map?

I can believe that its possible, men have kept women subdued for centuries because they fear they will outdo them if they were left to their own devices, and as we see in the western world where they have gotten more rights, that that indeed can and does happen often. But I expect this article has been exaggerated in order to push the anti-Iran agenda.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

Let's face it, Iran is in the stone ages when it comes to how they treat their women.

It really makes me wonder what is going through the minds of the Iranian "leaders" that would possess them to throw a blanket ban on women like that - it makes no sense to me to deny a country (with such a rich history) the best and brightest minds - how can they advance socially and technologically when the women are forced to stay at home and cook when they could be researching particle physics.....I mean WTF!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Is this accurate, or is it just yet another propaganda piece on the mighty evil Iran who hates women and wants Israel wiped off the map? I expect this article has been exaggerated in order to push the anti-Iran agenda.

NB: Quote edited

NO it is not propaganda.

My Iranian friends (refer my OP) said its the real deal and they have eyes and ears at the coal face.

Also, its all over the news from various news agencies on both sides of the political divide............so it is a legitimate and accurate story - period!

"Iran bans women from Universities"

edit on 22-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Islam teaches that a woman cannot be more intelligent than a man, and have the intellect of children. I guess the educational sucess of the women must really sting the Imams

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

it makes no sense to me to deny a country (with such a rich history) the best and brightest minds

That's probably why Islamic countries are such poor perfrmers all round. if about half your funcrioning geniuses are female and you forbid them from reaching thier potential and using their abilities, you just won't be able to keep up with your pro womens lib rival cultures. They'll just surge past you in tech and social advances.

It's probably not a coincidence that original Islamic culture (which expected women to take part in public life and to be scholars if they could) performed so much better that the later fundamentlist types of Islam.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
Is this accurate, or is it just yet another propaganda piece on the mighty evil Iran ...

It's accurate. And yes .. Iran is evil. It hangs homosexuals simply for being homosexual. It imprisons and tortures women simply because they dare to show an ankle or a wrist. It puts journalists to death simply for reporting the truth. It sentences a Christian pastor to death simply because he won't convert to Islam and it sentences a mentally retarded girl to death simply because she had a burned page of the Quran. It sponsors terrorism around the world. It's not innocent. It's evil, and by what we read here about women in universities, we can say the government and Imams are ignorant as well.
edit on 8/22/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Did you know that men in the west (England/USA etc), come out of uni on to more money in the same jobs as women, and are much more likely to get a pay rise throughout their career?

Yes Iran where a important religious cleric went on record this year as believing that women cause earthquakes (not a joke) are psychotic in their treatment of women, but no where is an equal place for women, even now.

Of course one could argue that when The babies come the woman is glad the man is earning enough to support them a little better but that is hardly a fair argument for women that choose not to mate, same sex couples, and women who take minimal maternity leave and rush straight back to work.

Things worth thinking about.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
They don't want their women getting any ideas above their station, which is less than a dog.

If they can't stop the women thinking for themselves and wanting a life other than being a housebound, oppressed slave, then they will simply just bring in a total ban on education for women. Keep them dumb and they're easier to control.

There's no wonder they have arranged marriages, what woman on Earth in their right mind would volunteer to marry an oppressive, ignorant, vile bully?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Testing something for the thread.
edit on 22-8-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
and half of our (USA) society wants the Government/Church to control women's reproductive rights and decisions.

Who are we to judge.

"NUKE EM ALL!" I say...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
They don't want their women getting any ideas above their station, which is less than a dog.

There's no wonder they have arranged marriages, what woman on Earth in their right mind would volunteer to marry an oppressive, ignorant, vile bully?

Good god almighty, have you ever ACTUALLY met any Iranian women? Don't let the chadors fool you. Most households in Iran the women wear the pants. School or not.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

However, the science and higher education minister, Kamran Daneshjoo, dismissed the controversy, saying that 90% of degrees remain open to both sexes and that single-gender courses were needed to create "balance".

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Iran has NOT banned all women from university, according to the OP's own link. Furthermore, also according to the OP link, it was not because women were doing better on tests but because Women currently composed 65% compared to men. So yes it is sexist but not as bad as it seems. The article also says most of the women were rejected by their employees, s that is where the sexism lies. The oil companies as usual.

The Oil Industry University, which has several campuses across the country, says it will no longer accept female students at all, citing a lack of employer demand. Isfahan University provided a similar rationale for excluding women from its mining engineering degree, claiming 98% of female graduates ended up jobless.

Most of the female graduates end up jobless, so I'd say the real problem is why there appears to be sexism in the workforce.

edit on 22-8-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Iran has NOT banned all women from university, according to the OP's own link. Furthermore, also according to the OP link, it was not because women were doing better on tests but because Women currently composed 65% compared to men. So yes it is sexist but not as bad as it seems. The article also says most of the women were rejected by their employees, s that is where the sexism lies. The oil companies as usual.

1. I nor the article said ALL women - read it again for clarification. "Iran bans women from certain courses at University to provide balance" - there is that better?

Women outnumbered men by three to two in passing this year's university entrance exam.
so yes your maths is correct - thats close enough to 65% - so what. Where I come from University entry is granted on academic ability - not "fairness" so dumb people can feel smart. In Australia, for instance, you gain Uni entry scolastically - not because daddy is cashed up.

3. I work in the Australian Oil & Gas industry and your blanket statement "that is where the sexism lies. The oil companies as usual" is WAY out of line. Plenty of females working in my industry AND earn the same as their male counterparts - thanks to EBA's and employers who recognise ability. If the Iranian Oil & Gas Industry doesn't employ females then its not the females fault......I suggest it is because those industry leaders are granted their positions politically - period!

citing a lack of employer demand
Intimidated male employers right there!

4. I agree - it is sexist. But "balance" - are you kidding me. More like ego stroking so dumb males feel better.

Now, back to the topic...........

Why deny anyone their full entitlement? - well the article clearly shows the clerics are calling the shots.

Look my reason for posting this is simple - females, even though more qualified than their male counterparts, are being denied access to courses because of pathetic and illogical reasons - those courses mentioned are in no way, shape or form required to have a penis to succeed in.

As an employer myself I could not care less what you have between your legs - its whats between your ears that I am interested in - that is what will make my job successful. Not balancing it up so I have equal males and females.

Its called progress in my book.

ETA: I assume you are aware I have a penis by the way so no bias here........

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Good god almighty, have you ever ACTUALLY met any Iranian women? Don't let the chadors fool you. Most households in Iran the women wear the pants. School or not.

Totally agree if my two friends are anything to go by - hell hath no fury like an intelligent Iranian female.
Shame they are being denied access to fully exercise this academic "fury" - who knows, the next Einstein is probably got a belly full of arms and legs cooking for her 6 kids - all the while dominating her husband AT HOME. This must end - its high time we exercised equally for all humanity.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

yes that was a wave more like a rumor. but it is not true. would media leave henpecked Iranians alone !

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by maes2

Would you be so kind as to expand of your comments here - I am a little unsure of exactly what you are saying?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yeah but remember, according to some ATS members, these women arent oppressed, infact, their obviously doing better than the guys considering they get to stay at home and look after the family, gosh, i'd pick that over bettering myself intellectually anyday! /sarcasm.

Whats that you say? Some ATS poster's have packed their bags to go and live in iran? Well, if misogyny floats your boat

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Yeah but remember, according to some ATS members, these women arent oppressed, infact, their obviously doing better than the guys considering they get to stay at home and look after the family, gosh, i'd pick that over bettering myself intellectually anyday! /sarcasm.

Are you kidding??? If my wife made enough I would become Mr. Mom in an instant. Get to spend unheard of time with the kids, dabble with my culinary skills etc???? Total no brainer IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join