It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Has No Horses But Pays $56K for Horseshoer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

And if that's not enough......

Union Boss Says It‘s ’Not Possible’ to Eliminate Positions

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) pays a “horseshoer” $29,245 in salary and roughly $27,000 in benefits. There’s only one problem — Detroit has no horses for the horseshoer to shoe.

Some critics argue that the department has been turned into some sort of a government jobs program. Meanwhile, the local union president says it is “not possible” to eliminate positions, the Michigan Capitol Confidential reports.

The horseshoer’s job description, which was last updated in 1967 (Lyndon B. Johnson was president), is “to shoe horses and to do general blacksmith work… and to preform related work as required,” according to the department’s website.

The story goes on to say that the "horseshoers" actually do other shop work these days !

No wonder cities are going broke

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well honestly it may be a good idea since Detroit is starting to look like something out of the dark ages. People may be riding horses and donkeys in the near future for transportation. They're planning ahead!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcalx
Well honestly it may be a good idea since Detroit is starting to look like something out of the dark ages. People may be riding horses and donkeys in the near future for transportation. They're planning ahead!

Good point.

I never thought of it that way.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well assuming Detroit doesn't take to horses as their new means of transportation.. (nice one on that...That was so unexpected I laughed out loud!) I can't help but say this is the absolute best example in at least a few weeks for why Unions of any kind, in any form are BAD in the public sector. Private? More power to 'em. I don't buy anything made in a Union shop....ever...if I know about the products source. That's my right as much as theirs to have a union in the first place.

I don't have a choice in public life though, in fact my tax dollars go to pay their "We can't eliminate positions" crap and things like the rooms in New York City where teachers are paid with benefits to sit..and do absolutely nothing. Sometimes for months and even longer....because they're in the dog house and headed for a termination (in most cases) but.. gee.. gotta keep paying them and take years to can them. Unions... Public Sector? Neigh Neigh I say...and the horse they rode in on! (at least it'll have shoes!)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Who is it that they are paying? Is there a name to place to this obvious abuse of funds?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Daniel Edwards, a construction contracts manager with the DWSD, said the so-called horseshoer was transferred from the Detroit Police Department five years ago. And even though the police department does currently have horses, the DWSD employee doesn’t work with the animals. So the question is: what exactly does the horseshoer do? “DWSD has a blacksmith shop in our Central Services Facility,” Edwards explained, attempting to justify the position. The shop “also … repairs equipment and works with various metals and welding for the department when needed.”

An antiquated title does not necessarily mean an antiquated job position. Considering that the title of the article is made false by the contents therein, I wonder if this is just a fluff piece. Perhaps the guy actually does do a fair amount of welding/metal work. I'm just surprised that benefits are pretty much equal to pay.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hoer = Whore in dutch..

So just laying down and getting some $, sounds pretty normal no?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Crony capitalism at its finest

BUT if he does really do metal working for the department then it isn't.

edit on 22-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm thinking "police horses" - none in Detroit?
Nevertheless, you usually get the bad with the good. Cancel your unions all you want, I agree that there are some exaggerations their ways of getting paid for word, but you will find that "minimum wage" can drop to totally new depths.

Just saying. I think that everyone is entitled to a safe and stable payment, not something his employer is deciding every month anew.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Man, you're not doing yourself any favors in credibility to your posts if you refuse to do some research before posting... www.hrousseau.com... www.facebook.com... www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: added video footage

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Maybe there a few city officials who like to play horseshoes. Maybe some city officials get horseshoes made for their own horses as a perk to the job. A good horseshoer is a technically a blacksmith and a blacksmith could be useful for making parts for equipment. I don't know the logic behind his employment, it could be anything. Without more evidence it's just speculation.

His salary seems reasonable as long as he is doing something to justify his salary.
edit on 22-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
Man, you're not doing yourself any favors in credibility to your posts if you refuse to do some research before posting... www.hrousseau.com... www.facebook.com... www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-8-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: added video footage

You completely missed the irony...

(quote from OP story)

Daniel Edwards, a construction contracts manager with the DWSD, said the so-called horseshoer was transferred from the Detroit Police Department five years ago. And even though the police department does currently have horses, the DWSD employee doesn’t work with the animals. So the question is: what exactly does the horseshoer do?

“DWSD has a blacksmith shop in our Central Services Facility,” Edwards explained, attempting to justify the position. The shop “also … repairs equipment and works with various metals and welding for the department when needed.”

and,
(quote from OP)

The story goes on to say that the "horseshoers" actually do other shop work these days !

So, why still call them "horseshoers" ?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Wow, sorry you are having such trouble grasping an antiquated job title.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So not only is your title a flatout lie, it has been established Detroit still has a mounted unit. But also points out that the Horseshoer, while not not actually shoeing the horses does in fact have a job welding metal for the city. Did you even read the article? If you read it and saw the obvious problems with it why did you post it? This one should really be sent to the hoax bin, and you should quit creating troll threads.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by xuenchen

Wow, sorry you are having such trouble grasping an antiquated job title.

Thank You.

I need the sympathy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
So not only is your title a flatout lie, it has been established Detroit still has a mounted unit. But also points out that the Horseshoer, while not not actually shoeing the horses does in fact have a job welding metal for the city. Did you even read the article? If you read it and saw the obvious problems with it why did you post it? This one should really be sent to the hoax bin, and you should quit creating troll threads.

You missed the irony too I see.

It's all right in front of everybody.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

And if that's not enough......

Union Boss Says It‘s ’Not Possible’ to Eliminate Positions

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) pays a “horseshoer” $29,245 in salary and roughly $27,000 in benefits. There’s only one problem — Detroit has no horses for the horseshoer to shoe.

Some critics argue that the department has been turned into some sort of a government jobs program. Meanwhile, the local union president says it is “not possible” to eliminate positions, the Michigan Capitol Confidential reports.

The horseshoer’s job description, which was last updated in 1967 (Lyndon B. Johnson was president), is “to shoe horses and to do general blacksmith work… and to preform related work as required,” according to the department’s website.

No wonder cities are going broke

the rest of the article said..."the detroit police currently has horses, but the horseshoer was transferred out of that job, and into public works", and since there are no horses in public works, he works on jobs that require working with metals

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

the rest of the article said..."the detroit police currently has horses, but the horseshoer was transferred out of that job, and into public works", and since there are no horses in public works, he works on jobs that require working with metals

That makes me wonder who actually shoes the horses now?

It must be a contractor or maybe a car mechanic?

Ironic huh.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
For clarity, there is no job title called "Horseshoer" They are called Farrier's.

P.S. if you ever want to piss off a real Blacksmith, ask him if he makes horseshoes.

top topics

join