It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under 45 yo? What will you do WHEN gas hits $15 and

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Brown Bear

and the result must result in a Civil War in America between those who Have, and those who Have-not.

Why would those who ‘have-not’ fight against those who ‘have’? That sounds like class envy to me. So people who earned a decent living and were smart enough to see what was coming and put away some food become targets in this scenario??

How about a Civil War between ‘Americans’ and ‘the crooks in our government who F’d this country up’? That makes a lot more sense to me.

edit on 20-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Obviously you've missed the point when you ask "why would those who Have-not fight against those who Have?

Whether the Have is Walmart, old folks with a freezer full of food, or the survivalist down the road... the rats will have no food, gas, supplies and once the supply lines breakdown the only place to get anything is from those who have it.

So it will be open season on rats until they starve.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander

While the economic system may not be "planned to fail", the response in certain areas might be to allow essentially a "die off" of the inner cities as they essentially consume but do not produce anything of value, whether tangiable products and especially tax revenues.

I think you're spot-on here. If the authorities protect anything it'll be the major distribution centers and the smaller outlets will be sacrificed like mine canaries. Once the local Walmart goes empty from looters or violence the supply lines will remain closed so that the rats will be given the opportunity and time to fed off of themselves.

However, Max Keiser also pointed out that big money is rushing into the private prison systems with the expectation that another 20-30 million new inmates will be housed.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Do you think the government is going to wage war against the young?

Please: We will introduce a whole new currency first. They don't call it the "Breadbasket" or "strategic reserves" for nothing.

As for the rest, I suspect that in a true SHTF economic scenario, a hardcore 300K would "bug-out" with a supply of guns and ammo. I don't imagine most will last a year with the rest of the country on high alert. It would be too easy to marginalize these guys and every time they "act out" will be another brick in the wall for the new regime. In the end, we will have our type-1 civilization -- minus the violent outbursts of those acting out centuries old wars and passion-plays.

Not that I believe anything Max Kaiser says or predicts. I suspect inflation will trend upwards, obviously, but on a relatively slow and steady course. Same outcome except for a difference of 25 years or so. By then the power structure will have shifted altogether and the old guard will be dead, and the new boomers -- the Y's and Millennial -- will remake the world in their image, while their parents do what we have always done: we will let them.

Just in time for the technological singularity, and then? Well, the skies not even the limit anymore.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
it won't hit 15 dollars...the oil companies would crash and burn...too much self interest there, plus they have way to much power over the governments of the world to let that happen.
the only scenario would be a brief spike do to a cataclysmic cut off of supply. maybe that's what you are talking about

I think you have a good point as surely TPTB recognize the consequences of $15 gas.

However, Max Keiser suggests that the complicated interconnections in society and commerce pretty well guarantees that when one segment goes the rest will follow in a domino response.

With a large segment of the population living day to day and hand to mouth, who can guarantee that even a short-term spike at $15 won't push the stressed downtrodden Masses over the edge... and once mob-mentality and riots happen who will put that genie back in the bottle?

You can see the governments response in the ammo they're purchasing.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I hope gas goes to $15 a gallon.... Less traffic n less accidents...... If you cant afford $15 a gallon too bad for you, ride your bike

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Geeze you Americans

In the uk and much of europe petrol or gas as you call it is already over the equivalent of $15 a gallon....

Does the system crash???

Nope....

Wake up and open your eyes!!

Korg

edit on 20-8-2012 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

You can't conceive the differences between America and Europe? Why do you waste the grown-ups time with your shallowness because we're definitely not interested.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
Since Alex Jones said it you know it's BS.

The market will not support $15 US. Demand will shrink throughout the world.
There is still a lot of fluff in driving.
Third world countries will ditch their new cars and go back to ox and bicycles.
With low demand prices will drop.

It's simple supply and demand as always. Not Alex Jones economy.

The quotes come from Max Keiser not AJ.

In the event of War or Financial collapse we'll all be lucky if we can get $15 gas and it'll only takes a few days for many people to run out of food and maybe water. two hamburgers tomorrow don't do any good when you are starving today. The haves can afford it, the have-nots will riot... must riot.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Good points. However Price Controls will only work as long as there are supplies which are finite and exhaustable. And in the event of War the government won't release the National Reserves. It's more expeditious to start shooting and not stop.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chi-and-Me
I will continue doing the same thing I've done for the last 2 years...ride my bike everywhere. And eat a lot less since food prices will skyrocket. And fight the elites who engineered this whole mess.

You won't have to ride your bicycle anywhere, the High Schools will be closed.

Have you figured out yet that if the system collapses there won't be any food to "eat less of"? And you won't be fighting the elites, you'll be fighting all comers for whatever scraps the elites leave you... including your bike.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
Luckily, this prediction was on Alex Jones, so we don't have to worry about anything. I'll happily bet against this April prediction.

Actually the prediction was "a 99% chance of systemic collapse BY April" (and probably sooner), and Max Keiser isn't the only one saying it... he just added a specific time frame and a glimpse of some details.

Anyone watching current events realizes that something is afoot and a collapse seems destined, and likely sooner than later, so I suspect you often make losing bets.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I'm under 45 and I stopped owning a car several years ago. Oh i can afford one, I have a nice house with all the modern conveniences. I got fed up with the Oil Industry and the corrupt people that run it and most world governments.

But I do travel. I go all over the city and go shopping, to and from work etc - on my Electric Bike. It can do between 20 to 30 miles per hour depending on how much voltage you supply. It's legal to ride on the side of the street in most cities no drivers license or insurance needed. It takes pennies to recharge in a few hours. It can carry 50 extra pounds of weight besides me - plenty for groceries.It has a range of 20 miles round trip between charges - most people don't drive around the city 20 miles a day. All this with no peddling at all.

if you ride a bike and it tires you out, you may want to look into one of these. They are Awesome.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Everything costs more,

and you want to know why?

That is because we earn more money. A study here in Denmark was done, and that was about gasoline prices, and they did a calculation.

They took the gas prices from today, and went 20-30 years back, to see the difference.
Ofc, today its around 3$ per liter, and 20 years ago, it was around 1$. But the gas for 20 years ago, was still way more EXPENSIVE than it is TODAY. Because you earn much much more money today, than 20 years ago.

Its quite simple.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
So values go out the window?

Yes. Have you ever been in a situation where you had to make a choice between your values and eating?

All bets are off because food and gas costs more? What happened to respecting your fellow Americans and their rights?

If it cost so much that people lose jobs because they can not get there and can not afford to buy food, respecting the rights of another takes a back seat to surviving. It is an ugly reality. If you have ever been truly hungry, you would understand exactly what I am saying.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Hunger can make people do a lot of things.My advice .Leave USA. Many people I know have left USA for destinations like Singapore,Israel,Dubai,Canada,Macau,Hong Kong and some even Russia ,one person I know on Seekingalpha renounced his citizenship in 2012.

USA is no longer what it was .Its a nazi Germany,where people can be made to disappear off the streets and be killed or locked into mental asylums.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Third world already has very fuel efficient cars and a massive public transportation system.USA has neither.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Geeze you Americans

In the uk and much of europe petrol or gas as you call it is already over the equivalent of $15 a gallon....

Does the system crash???

Nope....

Wake up and open your eyes!!

Korg

edit on 20-8-2012 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

yeah right we all know your gas costs twice what it does over here but none of you ever mention the fact that YOUR VEHICLES ARE TWICE AS EFFICIENT.

BlueMotion technology for example by VW. (many other companies have similar technology) ... mileage approaching 90MPG in a standard vehicle.

Not sure about the States but in Canada, import of these engines/vehicles are illegal as "they do not meet our environmental standards"

!!! ????

These are the exact same cars we have over here just with super efficient engines... we're paying the same amount for gas on average is what I'm saying.

edit on 20-8-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

Not everyone in Europe has a 90 MPG vehicle! The majority have 2L cars. 30-40 MPG. Most wages in UK are much lower than USA/Canada.

Here in London gas is about £1.49 (US$2) a litre making a gallon almost £7 (US$10) and so a $15 gallon may be closer than you think. If it all kicks off in the Middle East watch the gallon go towards $30 a gallon. The "haves" will always be able to fill their cars!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
And everyone called me crazy for stocking up on Nuke Cola.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear
a sack of groceries costs $300? In a recent Alex Jones interview noted financial insider Max Keiser is 99% sure that a system-wide collapse will occur by April, at the latest; and the result must result in a Civil War in America between those who Have, and those who Have-not.

Mr. Keiser goes further to suggest that the Have-not ranks are filled with the mostly under 45's who are generally living so close to the edge that any disruption in established supply lines will quickly send them over that edge and into a fear-based group centered response of food riots and worse.

Gas could easily go to $15 a gallon for a multitude of reasons besides system collapse with war and natural disaster always topping the list, so what happens then? How many people can afford to drive to work at that price? And would a job even be waiting with so very little moving on the roads?

Food prices are set to skyrocket already with the much publicized drought concerns and the volatile Futures Market, supply lines could collapse or become spotty. Prices are set to go up significantly anyway and if fuel zooms as well, it's not difficult to picture $300 for a sack of groceries too.

If supplies are available the Haves (over 45) will still have food and fuel but the Have-nots will not, and Max Keiser sees them streaming out of their hovels and hutches, hungry and desperate as rats, forced to take whatever they need (and want) by violent means from those who have.

It's not difficult to speculate what a person with no job, no transportation, and only a week (or less) of food in the house will do when faced with the "reality" of disrupted supply lines, empty shelves and gas tanks... mere thoughts of that moment could quickly escalate into mass action of some sort.

The prospect of that action and the likelihood of disrupted supplies is enough reason to explain why government agencies are stockpiling ammunition... and it seems clear that once the action starts the stores will be quickly cleaned out and the mobs will (and must) pillage out into the suburbs and countryside. They'll be in for a penny in for a pound with no turning back

According to Max Keiser the poor youth will be pitted against their affluent elders with literally no other choice to survive or have a future. It's easy to predict that gun and ammo sales will skyrocket in the next few months along with tensions as people are pushed to the lower levels of Maslow's pyramid.

What will you do? Interesting to seriously ponder $15 gas and $300 food and a 8 month prediction (or sooner) with guaranteed Civil War too? Interesting along with all the other existential threats from Man and Nature facing Humanity at this time in History. Whew.

(with kindness if able could someone please embed the AJ video. Thank you in advance)

edit on 20-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context

edit on 20-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context

It's simple supply and demand, and will never really spiral out of control to that point. Put the price up too much, no one uses it, people find alternatives, because they have to.

They start using electric bikes, bicycles or walking. Jobs go down the tube because people can't get to work, more people reliant on government handouts to survive. Automotive, resources, retail industries go down the tubes, which means more people out of work. Put food up to $300 a bag, people either do one of two things. Turn to crime to feed themselves and their families, or hunt and grow their own food. Again, less reliance on industry, less jobs, again more people reliant on government handouts, added to more people in the prison system for theft and robbery charges.

You can see by that the way the world economy works raising prices would either free humanity from corporate and government control, or place a huge burden on governments that are pretty much broke now. The only reason prices would rise that much is if the government wanted us to either riot or walk away from their system, and enact new laws or even a communist style of government to enslave us. With the way the current economy works it wouldn't be in the governments best interests to raise prices to a level we couldn't live, because the society we all live in and are part of wouldn't survive long, and that includes the Haves.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Why are the "haves" 45 or older? I am 29 and my wife is 27 and we are better off than most people I know.....45 or older or not??

Why is age bearing a factor on how much money people have?

To answer your question, yes I could afford $15 a gallon of gas to get to work, although I would be pissed every time I had to fill up, that wouldn't defeat the purpose of me being able to do it......

Financial planning is the only way I can describe situations that most are in today......If you have money, that doesn't mean you have to spend it....

If you can afford a BMW and that is all, then buy a Toyota and save the $300 a month you are saving!! Don't live over your means, and plan your finances well and you can make it on much less!! I have in the past, and it paid off for my wife and I who actually can afford whatever we want now!!

Is it possible to get through the "me, me, me, attitude enough to realize that there are more people in this country than you? What is the condition of your peers in relationship to yourself? Your shallow focus on "financial planning" for a future that doesn't exist is amusing at best.

The issue is basic survival in the collapse that's destined to come, guaranteed. Obviously the weak, shallow, and stupid will be easy pickings and culled when the system burps for a few weeks (or more). Maybe better to use your money to buy extra food and guns.

Or learn how to "serve your fellow man." I suspect that the only thing the under 45's are entitled to is a shallow grave if they're lucky, and there are many people prepared (and eager) to help them into that at the first opportunity.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Im 30, and I believe there are a lot more people my age, that are preparing for a long term shortage of food and energy, I hope anyways, because I sure the hell am. I even gone as far as to save 50,000 different variety of seeds for growing crops, invested in solar panels and Wind genrators, Battery banks and charge controllers. I have at least a minimum of 3 months supply of food for up to 4 people. Many of my young friends have done the same thing, we look at the Generations before us and ask, What the hell were they thinking, selling this country right out from underneath their own feet, for the benifit of themselves and not thier country.Unfortunetly we as a society did this to ourselves, always wanting a certain system easier to make and produce, has had a negative effect on the basics of our living. Now we must fix this by oursleves. Our Government is NOT going to help, when the SHTF. People will help People I believe in the most dire situations, sure at first the crazys will go crazy, and they must be eliminated or helped into the transition of Basic living. I see a civil war in the near future, Not to kill off the have and the have nots , but to change the way basic life and needs are met, and governed by the REAL people, not the wrinkly old fat A-holes in washington, the Government needs brilliant minds and leaders who are worthy of leading, not because thier wallet is fat, or because they are a popular Son of a B@tch. Real Change will come, but not the way our leaders invision now. Those leaders, in a new society will be worthless, and a cancer, to a new system that must be implemented in to ensure our very survival. Its only a matter of time. People willl become fed up, its happened before and it will happen again.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join