It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under 45 yo? What will you do WHEN gas hits $15 and

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a sack of groceries costs $300? In a recent Alex Jones interview noted financial insider Max Keiser is 99% sure that a system-wide collapse will occur by April, at the latest; and the result must result in a Civil War in America between those who Have, and those who Have-not.

Mr. Keiser goes further to suggest that the Have-not ranks are filled with the mostly under 45's who are generally living so close to the edge that any disruption in established supply lines will quickly send them over that edge and into a fear-based group centered response of food riots and worse.

Gas could easily go to $15 a gallon for a multitude of reasons besides system collapse with war and natural disaster always topping the list, so what happens then? How many people can afford to drive to work at that price? And would a job even be waiting with so very little moving on the roads?

Food prices are set to skyrocket already with the much publicized drought concerns and the volatile Futures Market, supply lines could collapse or become spotty. Prices are set to go up significantly anyway and if fuel zooms as well, it's not difficult to picture $300 for a sack of groceries too.

If supplies are available the Haves (over 45) will still have food and fuel but the Have-nots will not, and Max Keiser sees them streaming out of their hovels and hutches, hungry and desperate as rats, forced to take whatever they need (and want) by violent means from those who have.

It's not difficult to speculate what a person with no job, no transportation, and only a week (or less) of food in the house will do when faced with the "reality" of disrupted supply lines, empty shelves and gas tanks... mere thoughts of that moment could quickly escalate into mass action of some sort.

The prospect of that action and the likelihood of disrupted supplies is enough reason to explain why government agencies are stockpiling ammunition... and it seems clear that once the action starts the stores will be quickly cleaned out and the mobs will (and must) pillage out into the suburbs and countryside. They'll be in for a penny in for a pound with no turning back

According to Max Keiser the poor youth will be pitted against their affluent elders with literally no other choice to survive or have a future. It's easy to predict that gun and ammo sales will skyrocket in the next few months along with tensions as people are pushed to the lower levels of Maslow's pyramid.

What will you do? Interesting to seriously ponder $15 gas and $300 food and a 8 month prediction (or sooner) with guaranteed Civil War too? Interesting along with all the other existential threats from Man and Nature facing Humanity at this time in History. Whew.

(with kindness if able could someone please embed the AJ video. Thank you in advance)

edit on 20-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context

edit on 20-8-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I will continue doing the same thing I've done for the last 2 years...ride my bike everywhere. And eat a lot less since food prices will skyrocket. And fight the elites who engineered this whole mess.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

It's not difficult to speculate what a person with no job, no transportation, and only a week (or less) of food in the house will do when faced with the "reality" of disrupted supply lines, empty shelves and gas tanks... mere thoughts of that moment could quickly escalate into mass action of some sort.

I think this may have happened before... what was it... oh right the French Revolution...

Gee, I wonder if the government is prepared for such an event.

Oh right every government agency is buying hollow points by the truck load.

I don't like fear mongering or alarmist, but at some point we have to read the writing on the wall.
edit on 20-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Sure, I've always thought about this. You don't really need to be a trend forecaster or expert to know that the majority of people live week to week or even day to day. Even something like a prolonged fuel strike without other dramatic factors can and has emptied the shelves in shops. With no backup from a government figure, i.e army, or even the lack of any food to systematically give anyway, most people in western civilisations will perish.

Picture the millions of people in inner city high rises with no clue of how to care for themselves. Wasn't two weeks the estimated time it'd take for everything to totally collapse with no food and easy water supply? Remember seeing that somewhere.

It wouldn't be so bad if we had 3rd world roots to fall back on (if you get what I mean), but to go from 1st world to complete chaos is so easy. Even a couple of days without food, drinkable water and no hope and probably 95% of people will become desperate animals. Our technology and strong economy becomes a weakness when one link in the chain fails.

I'd look forward to it if I wasn't one of those people I describe! Couldn't even get out of here, can you imagine what the roads would be like?
edit on 20-8-2012 by AR154 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hoping to be in my bug out location with my family. Starting a new life living off the land.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Walk more.

A lot more.

Like always.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

and the result must result in a Civil War in America between those who Have, and those who Have-not.

Why would those who ‘have-not’ fight against those who ‘have’? That sounds like class envy to me. So people who earned a decent living and were smart enough to see what was coming and put away some food become targets in this scenario??

How about a Civil War between ‘Americans’ and ‘the crooks in our government who F’d this country up’? That makes a lot more sense to me.

edit on 20-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I try to keep a minimum of 2 weeks food at roughly all times. Usually I have more, but I have had some personal economic issues to deal with. Once some of those are taken care of I'll try to get 1-3 months.

Essentially, in an economic collapse, especially with high fuel prices, about the only thing one can do is hunker down. The inner cities will be a mess. The close in suburbs will get overrun by them probably, although more affluent might be protected. The outer suburbs and towns within 10-15 miles of a city will likely fare better, especially as I see that being the zone of "enter/exit" into the main cities.

While the economic system may not be "planned to fail", the response in certain areas might be to allow essentially a "die off" of the inner cities as they essentially consume but do not produce anything of value, whether tangiable products and especially tax revenues.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well, if things really get that bad, I'd expect a lot of death.
Now with 50 percent of their customer base gone, stores will have to re re adjust their prices.
We can only hope that it will be the correct 50 percent of customers that have been bumped off.
Just get a stockpile of beand and rice if you are worried, it will not be like a disneyland ride but you will continue to breathe long enough to see the otherside of this depression.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
it won't hit 15 dollars...the oil companies would crash and burn...too much self interest there, plus they have way to much power over the governments of the world to let that happen.
the only scenario would be a brief spike do to a cataclysmic cut off of supply. maybe that's what you are talking about

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

and the result must result in a Civil War in America between those who Have, and those who Have-not.

Why would those who ‘have-not’ fight against those who ‘have’? That sounds like class envy to me. So people who earned a decent living and were smart enough to see what was coming and put away some food become targets in this scenario??

How about a Civil War between ‘Americans’ and ‘the crooks in our government who F’d this country up’? That makes a lot more sense to me.

edit on 20-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Why would those who have not fight against those that have? you answered your own question.

They have not, so they want what you have, and will fight when desperate to get it.

In a "collapse" scenario you will see the worst of man kind come out.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Luckily, this prediction was on Alex Jones, so we don't have to worry about anything. I'll happily bet against this April prediction.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Why are the "haves" 45 or older? I am 29 and my wife is 27 and we are better off than most people I know.....45 or older or not??

Why is age bearing a factor on how much money people have?

To answer your question, yes I could afford $15 a gallon of gas to get to work, although I would be pissed every time I had to fill up, that wouldn't defeat the purpose of me being able to do it......

Financial planning is the only way I can describe situations that most are in today......If you have money, that doesn't mean you have to spend it....

If you can afford a BMW and that is all, then buy a Toyota and save the $300 a month you are saving!! Don't live over your means, and plan your finances well and you can make it on much less!! I have in the past, and it paid off for my wife and I who actually can afford whatever we want now!!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't think that we will see an overnight event and suddenly prices of everything have gone up 5 or 10 times.

I do think that our currency could be significantly devalued against the world market.

I do think that prices for commodities will increase dramatically.

You will first notice this when interest rates start to increase. You might think this is OK when the banks pay you 5 or 10 percent interest on your bank account. However you need to realize that this is very inflationary. In other words, your dollars will be worth less and less.

I think that Obama will do everything in his power to prevent anything dramatic from happening before the election in November.

I don't know what people will do.

Personally, if there is a sudden spike in prices, I'll be stocking up for a financial problem .

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Get my 15 year old body back- I was cut and had a 28 inch waist and no man boobs.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Why would those who have not fight against those that have? you answered your own question.

So values go out the window? All bets are off because food and gas costs more? What happened to respecting your fellow Americans and their rights?

They have not, so they want what you have, and will fight when desperate to get it.

Good luck! We’ll all be desperate at that point.

In a "collapse" scenario you will see the worst of man kind come out.

I’ve seen it which is why I prepare for it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well I'm one of those people barely hanging on. I have to go to the library to access the internet. I can barely keep gas in my car and when I go home I have maybe ramen noodles to look forward to for dinner. This will be my only meal for the day. Oh yeah and I have two other people living with me.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Well I'm one of those people barely hanging on. I have to go to the library to access the internet. I can barely keep gas in my car and when I go home I have maybe ramen noodles to look forward to for dinner. This will be my only meal for the day. Oh yeah and I have two other people living with me.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I’m not making light of your situation at all but I must ask this question; what are your plans if/when it gets A LOT worse? Will you take from others or keep trying to get by like you do now?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
As a practical matter society will unravel at a much lower fuel cost than $15/gallon. Modern agiculture, food production and distribution all use fuel. Consider how EVERYTHING you buy is trucked to the store with a "just in time delivery system" Most retail grocery stores are on a daily run from distribution warehouses. In order to continue with business as usual product prices will have to rise and/or curtailment of the delivery system will occur.

Maybe it seems trivial and has its workarounds but the underlying economic impact is huge in upsetting an already delicate system to the point of being either very expensive or unworkable.

As it is today many are on the razors wire financially and cannot absorb any more costs nor can they expect income to rise in compensation.

Never thought I'd contemplate food riots in the U.S. but have to say its within the realm of possibilities.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

As it is today many are on the razors wire financially and cannot absorb any more costs nor can they expect income to rise in compensation.

Never thought I'd contemplate food riots in the U.S. but have to say its within the realm of possibilities.

Right!

Obviously people who are living closer to the edge (almost not able to provide now) will be the first to commit desperate acts. Ideally we’d all like to be thrifty and knowledgeable enough to live off the land but that’s really a losing battle for 90% of people in this country IMO.

Let’s face it, every parent knows deep down that if you see your kid starving you will do just about anything to get your kid fed, including things you never thought you’d do (lie, cheat, steal, rob, and YES even KILL)…that’s a fact. Most of us would do our best to avoid that but many of us would cross that line if times were hard enough.

I think things will bounce back at some point but the country will look a lot different for those who survived. IMO people need to have enough to get through the initial collapse and have the means to defend it. Otherwise you will become a victim to those get beyond desperate – sad but true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join