It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under 45 yo? What will you do WHEN gas hits $15 and

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So values go out the window? All bets are off because food and gas costs more? What happened to respecting your fellow Americans and their rights?

I simply believe in the old adage hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I would hope that all the high minded idealism keeps in tact, that people unite to overcome adversity and survive together as a whole.

BUT be prepared if thats not the case.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Well I'm one of those people barely hanging on. I have to go to the library to access the internet. I can barely keep gas in my car and when I go home I have maybe ramen noodles to look forward to for dinner. This will be my only meal for the day. Oh yeah and I have two other people living with me.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I’m not making light of your situation at all but I must ask this question; what are your plans if/when it gets A LOT worse? Will you take from others or keep trying to get by like you do now?

I'm not even sure what I'd do if it got even a little bit worse, let alone as bad as the OP is suggesting.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
www.zippycycles.com...

150 - 250 MPG

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Geeze you Americans

In the uk and much of europe petrol or gas as you call it is already over the equivalent of $15 a gallon....

Does the system crash???

Nope....

Wake up and open your eyes!!

Korg

edit on 20-8-2012 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

To me the prices of gas and groceries are already staggering. When I was a kid I remember my mother filling up the family car with "Ethyl" for 19 cents a gallon. Today I paid $3.55 a gallon for regular unleaded. When I was 18 years old it was 79cents a gallon. You do the math!

I can remember saying I would quit smoking when cigarettes went above $1 a pack. Now I cross state lines to get them once a month because they're over $5 a pack here now. I spent $20 at the grocery store for milk, bread and a bag of sugar- when my kids were babies I could cook meals for a week for the same $20!

I think it will get really ugly really quick if gas and food prices quickly rise. Not to mention how many people will become homeless when forced to choose between eating and paying rent or a house note. How many people will get their utilities cut off? When gas goes up so does the electric bill. And what will happen with this young generation of adults who feel entitled and like everything should just be handed to them? Will they become roaming gangs of looters, stealing from those who have worked hard and prepared for hard times? You can bet your sweet hiney that some will! Why wouldn't they? They think the world owes them everything on a silver platter. Of course I'm not saying ALL will, but a lot will!

Now I'm not sure about anything put out there by Alex Jones, but noone can deny the fast rising price of groceries, and it's fixing to get much worse due to the major droughts around the country. The price of food will keep rising at break-neck speed until one day it takes every cent you make just to feed your family. I think whether you believe in the bible or not that's one prophesy that I see coming true in the real near future!

To the younger generations: please start stockpiling dried beans and rice now! I don't want to see anybody get hurt- especially you!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I keep saying and often ridiculed by my statement that, all this comes from the illusion that living in a big city is the best and easiest way to do go through life.

Seriously, if you're seeing yourself in problems in a near future, run away from the metropolis lie, as fast as you can.

We are "wolves", not "ants".

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Geeze you Americans

In the uk and much of europe petrol or gas as you call it is already over the equivalent of $15 a gallon....

Does the system crash???

Nope....

Korg

yeah right we all know your gas costs twice what it does over here but none of you ever mention the fact that YOUR VEHICLES ARE TWICE AS EFFICIENT.

BlueMotion technology for example by VW. (many other companies have similar technology) ... mileage approaching 90MPG in a standard vehicle.

Not sure about the States but in Canada, import of these engines/vehicles are illegal as "they do not meet our environmental standards"

!!! ????

These are the exact same cars we have over here just with super efficient engines... we're paying the same amount for gas on average is what I'm saying.

edit on 20-8-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
One must consider in a national emergency, I beleive the President can freeze prices and wages. I am not saying that's a good idea, or if the sitting president at the time could. But it would put at least a temporary solution that might stop/limit alot of the potential civil unrest.

Of course it would probably also correspond with some sort of martial law.

I beleive (unless you think this is all planned collapse) if gas goes much above, IDK, maybe $8 a gallon, you will see the strategic reserves opened (already being discussed for later this year), pending the transition to the opening/reopening of US oil fields. Obama might not because he is so dead set against fossil fuels, but I suppose if enough congressman/senator's were threatened with their jobs the issue would be forced with a supermajority bill.

The only thing that could force gas that high quickly is a closing of the straits of hormuz and/or hits on Saudi pipelines into the ports. Which could happen with all the mideast war talk, but the Navy will do it's utmost to protect the straits.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I advise stocking up on cigarettes, booze, coffee and prescription medication for such an event. There are a whole lot of addicted people out there who will do anything to get their fix. If you have what they need you can probably get anything you want whenever you want.

On the flip side prepare by NOT being addicted to any cigarettes, booze, coffee or prescription medication. Going on the wagon all at once due to some crisis will make you a useless puddle. I predict an entire nation of people lying in bed going through caffeine withdrawal before I predict riots in the streets.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
I advise stocking up on cigarettes, booze, coffee and prescription medication for such an event. There are a whole lot of addicted people out there who will do anything to get their fix. If you have what they need you can probably get anything you want whenever you want.

On the flip side prepare by NOT being addicted to any cigarettes, booze, coffee or prescription medication. Going on the wagon all at once due to some crisis will make you a useless puddle. I predict an entire nation of people lying in bed going through caffeine withdrawal before I predict riots in the streets.

But don't forget that they'll also be SUPER irritable from going through nicotine withdrawal as well.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Since Alex Jones said it you know it's BS.

The market will not support $15 US. Demand will shrink throughout the world.
There is still a lot of fluff in driving.
Third world countries will ditch their new cars and go back to ox and bicycles.
With low demand prices will drop.

It's simple supply and demand as always. Not Alex Jones economy.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Geeze you Americans

Does the system crash???

Nope....

Korg

And how much does the average job pay over there per hr? I am betting it's well above our minimum wage here at least in NY state. There are a lot of variables other than we all ready pay 15 per gallon of gas.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
supply and demand dictated gas will never get that high

when the price gets high, people conserve, and inventories build up, and prices go down

boooooooooooooooo fear mongering

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t

Originally posted by otherpotato

But don't forget that they'll also be SUPER irritable from going through nicotine withdrawal as well.

Right. So add in super bitchy but can't get out of bed to do anything about it.

I personally try not to worry about "it" too much (whatever "it" end up being, if it ends up happening). Chances are I won't be able to do anything to save myself if it comes down to chaos. I just have to keep preparing in my own small ways and hope for the best. I don't think any of us could predict what to expect. Though it is sometimes fun to speculate about, if for nothing else than to put life into perspective.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I will be 70 km's off the beaten path in the BC wilderness, because for years my family and neighbors have been in a constant state of preparedness. A lake, flowing creeks, and soil many years into knowing how to grow the food it bears.

Those unprepared will find it hard, very hard, there is no doubt about it, my hope is more will see it all crashing around them before they are too screwed to have any other options.

SaneThinking

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
wasn't gold supposed to hit $2,500 an oz by now ? didn't the dollar collapse in the srping ?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If that happened I would sit back and watch how quickly the prices go back down because everybody would stop driving.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
any body remember back in Feb. when 2 top annalists, one had the market crashing in the first quarter and the other had it losing by 3rd quarter......Its not happening

AJ has been ranting this since before 9/11.........."Rave on cat shyt, someone will bury ya!" an old friend used to say.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hmm... well me and a lot of my friends are living on the edge of the line even though we have a college education. In reality, without the support of our parents in some way, none of us would even be able to survive.

It has nothing to do with being lazy, it has to do with the system being broken - my friend in town that is best off only has a high school diploma and works at a call center. Before that, he was only getting 4 hours a week minimum wage and living with his grandmother. In fact, he still lives with his grandmother in a trailer home because that's all he can afford. And he's one of the better ones.

He is doing better than most of my friends with college degrees.

The only other friend I have that is doing well got a masters in teaching, and a job as a teacher. That's right - being a teacher is now considered lavishly rich by my generation's standards. In fact, he just bought a house that I am going to move in to so that my rent is cheaper.

In no way does my generation have it easier than the hippies or whatever did.

edit on 20-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Under 45 yo? What will you do WHEN gas hits $15 and

Blame it on Obama and run for office as a Republican and live large from the lobbyist perks, bribes and presents to keep me voting for the oil companies and big pharma.

edit on 20-8-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join