It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding the Right Computer for ArcViewGIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I need some help in picking out a computer for my office...it's one that's going to be temporarily loaned to another office and then returned back to us...

It's primary function while at the other office, and the whole reason we need a new one, is because it will be running a program called ArcViewGIS...From what I understand, this program is a serious hog of RAM and processing speed...in fact I've been told that it may even require a server to function at full speed...

Regardless...I've set the purchasing price with my boss between $1500-2500...perhaps more if needed...2 GB RAM, 2.0GHZ processor or above (Do you think we would need a dual-processor?!), NTFS...

Of course, we'll also be getting an LCD monitor, keyboard, blah blah...

So...my fellow ATS computer nerds
....Can someone help me find that perfect machine at a descent price?! The sooner I can get a lead, the better...When it comes to finding good computer deals on the net, I get lost...

Also, if anyone has any experience with this program, let me know what you run it on and what you think of it...

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hello Enron,

There are just a few details you left out.

What operating System do you wish to run this on? What version of ArcView are you going to run, etc etc etc.

Anyway, I found their website, and it has the system requirements based on what version you will be running, and what operating system it will be running on. ArcView System Requirements

Despite what you have been told, it seems relatively tame. I input that I have the latest version, running on windows 2000, and it says that it will run on about any old piece of junk pc made in the last 5-6 years. Below are the exact results.

Product: ArcView 3.3
Platform: PC-Intel
Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional
Service Packs/Patches: SP 1 (optional), SP 2 (optional), SP3 (optional), SP4 (optional)
Shipping/Release Date: May 23, 2002

Hardware Requirements
Memory/RAM:
24 MB Required/64 MB Recommended
Swap Space:
200 MB minimum / 300 MB recommended
Free Disk Space:
Approximately 171 MB
Disk Space Requirements:
See setup for disk requirements per component.

Dont take my word on it, I may be overlooking something.
Deny Ignorance, check it out and look like a hero to your boss.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
First off, thanks for that link! It's been dead the past few days for me, but now it's working...

This is an interesting revolation...News around the water-cooler was this was some ginormous piece of software...I'll have to call them and do a double-check just to make sure we're not buying ArcView Server...But I seem to recall seeing version 3.3 on the invoice...When my boss handed me the specs for what he was looking for in a system, he gave me this:
support.esri.com...

It's not too unlike him to overlook the difference between a desktop and a server or to confuse one version of software with another...lol

It would be run on Windows 2000 Professional or XP...

Thanks for helping out!! I'll be sure to double-check everything before I imply to my boss that he was a dimwit for thinking we needed a super computer for this software

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No problem providing the link, I like Florida.

Even if you are running the server version, according to the specifications listed, even a 2 - 3 year old laptop/desktop should run this ok.

Hardware Requirements
CPU Speed:
800 MHz minimum
1.0 GHz or higher recommended
Processor:
Intel Workstation and Server processors (i.e, Pentium or Xeon Processors)
Memory/RAM:
256 MB minumum
512 MB or higher recommended
Display Color:
Greater than 256 colors

In fact, here are the specs on a laptop that will do it. I mention laptop since you said that you will allow another office to use it, then bring it back.
IBM T-41 Yes, this one is used, but is one of their newest models, (I have a couple) an even older one should work ok also. I think all the way back to a T-23 should work. I have put up to a gig of ram in one of these, no issues. Just make sure that you order all the needed accessories, docking station(handy but not absolutely needed) briefcase, usb floppy(does not come with floppy drive).

If you just prefer to lug around a desktop, here is another IBM, also referb. We use these for our high end CAD stations. Intelestation Pro I refer you to the referb's because of the low price that you mentioned. This way you can still get the latest equipment with warranty at low cost.

To answer your original post more fully, about any mfg of any pc within the last 2-3 years should suffice, however I do reccomend going above the 512 mg ram, as it will increase speed to a more efficient rate. Judging by the specs, I see no need for a full blown server. (not that you could buy a decent one for $2,500.00 more like $25,000.00)

Dell and gateway should be reserved for household use. HP has some darn good pc's with best in class video. IBM's are above normal for stability, sturdy construction, world class workhorses and warranty service.

Frankly I would drop the XP idea. 2000 is more stable for a corp enviornment.

Have fun

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Having had a chance to look over the invoice, I see now that we're purchasing both 3.3 and 9.0...so we're still looking for something with a gig of RAM and a descent processing speed that will carry us for a couple more years...The fact is, our current computers are pretty lousy with the exception of a one or two...

We have several laptops that would suffice, but they're pushing for a desktop...you mentioned HP and IBM, and actually in my intial pricings they came out on top, so I think it's going to be a coin toss between the two...that Intelstation Pro actually looks perfect for the job!

So, yeah - a server is out of the picture now

2000 is what our office uses...but these guys, as you can tell from my original post, want new new new....So I guess that's what I'll give 'em

Once again though, a big thanks for your help! Come on down a get a tan anytime ya like!

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You want something to last a while?

Okie Doke...

Get an:
Athlon 64 3400+ 295$
MSI K8N Neo Platinum 123$
1gb of Corsair XMS Extreme PC3200 224$
Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive Special Edition (I Have it and LOVE IT!!!) 112$
Sony CD Burner (Unless it needs DVD Burning??] 23$
Floppy Drive 7$
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 209$
Of course youll need a case 92$
Power Supply 54$

Definately Below Your Limit and Would Last for quite a while. My mouth is watering just reading the list....

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
My mouth is watering just reading the list....

Mine too!! Nice list

The first thing I said to him was, let me build this - it'll be cheaper, faster and more fun on my end...with plenty of people in our surrounding offices to help me if I needed it, I know I could get it done w/o a problem...but for unknown reasons he shot the idea down - I don't think he understands that it's common-place for people to build PCs...Considering this is a nice little itemized list from an online computer store with excellent prices, I might pitch the idea to him again...I'll need some of those power supply cords and ribbon thingies right? (
) I can probablly get some of those from down the hall...I dunno what they're called...I just plug them in

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Ever cord and cable you would need comes with all the products. The only thing really that you would need to buy at like RadioShack would be some Thermal Grease as to not fry the CPU.

But if he really wants to get a prebuilt comp, go with Falcon Northwest or VooDooPC. They both use actual retail parts in building there computers, not proprietary like Dell, HP and the rest of them losers.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Well - after showing him those numbers compared to the pe-packaged value, he was all for it...I don't know if we exactly need a case with 6 fans tho...I think I might go with an Asus board - I'm gonna switch a few things up just out of consideration for keeping the price under $1000 now that he knows it's a little cheaper...like I said, part of my whole problem was finding a good site price-wise!

I'll prob add a wirless NIC, monitor...Some of our IT guys have that thermal grease...I found out the hard way you need to apply that...lol

Thanks guys
You've practically done my job for me...now I can spend more time on ATS...where do you want the paycheck sent?!

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Having a near limitless budget for this computer, I enjoyed piecing this guy together...Unfortunately, NewEgg doesn't accept purchase orders, so I used TigerDirect.com, a website a co-worker suggested...so here's the specs...

Fanner AMD Athlon 64 Copper Core CPU Cooling Fan

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU

Asus K8V Socket 64 Motherboard

BenQ FP757 17" Black/Silver 1280x1024 LCD Monitor

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz 2 Pack

Trendware 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

Toshiba 8X8 Dual Internal DVD+/-RW Burner

1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive

Logitech MX Duo Cordless Keyboard And Mouse

eVGA GeForce MX4000 128MB DDR 8X AGP w/ TV & DVI

Seagate 200GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-100

Coolmax ATX 400w PS w/ Silent 120mm Fan Black

Enermax Electric Sliding Front Panel Silver

2 80mm fans

All for $1200! My favorite is the case!!

AARRGGHH! I can't wait to piece this thing together...

top topics

join