It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Top Gun' director Tony Scott dead after jumping off bridge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I've read some past bio's of Scott especially interviews with actors, who always describe him as an upbeat character, who has a very manic and hyper style of directing, with plenty of joking around on the set. Doesn't seem like the sort of personality that would suffer from depression to the point of suicide. He still had a number of projects in the works, and did his production company just wrapped up Prometheus. So you can't say he was suffering from neglect or a stagnant career.

How do we know it was a suicide? "Witnesses" or a witness claimed he stopped his car, scaled a fence, and jumped without hesitation. Pretty spry, for a 68 yr-old man, who stood 5'-7" tall. Take a look at the fence in question:

The articles claim the fence is "8 to 10" feet tall. I've been over that bridge, and like anyone else who has, can tell you it's taller than 8'. It's at least 10', in fact it felt more like a good 12' or more. In the photo, the height of the fence on the far side of the bridge is nearly equal to the tractor-trailer cab (the one that looks like a sleep-over cab), which, according to DOT, is roughly 13 feet. (*) That's a heckuva fence for a short older guy to climb over.

Was this truly a suicide? Who exactly are these witnesses?

(*) based on these sources: 1, 2
edit on 20-8-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Im sorry for his family. Sucks for them. But as for him...Screw him. He was an idiot who decided to off himself. No sympathy for him

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
No one jump off a bridge unless

A: it's to kill yourself.
B: You are attached to a bungy cord.
C: It's really low.
D: You have been pushed off.
E: There is a train coming.
F: Highly Intoxicated
G: Lightning Strike
H: Extremely Powerful & Sudden Gust Of Wind
I: Accidental Medication Mix-Up
J: A Large Bird
K: Frantic Uncontrollable Seizure
L: Disorientation From Food Poisoning
M: A Banana Peel
N: Sleepwalking
O: A Small Pool Of Oil
P: Horseplay
Q: Extreme Hallucination (Don't even realize you're on a bridge)
R: Rotten Cross-Tie
S: Leaning a bit too far over the edge while trying to capture that awesome camera shot.

I could go on & on.........

reply to post by Ook33

Originally posted by Ook33

Is it really necessary to doubt everything ? Doubting everything is as crazy as believing everything. A man committed suicide, I don't see what smells like BS in this.
Is it really necessary to unquestionably accept what we are told?
Doubting is a healthy response in almost any situation.

Immediately believing that what has been stated is the absolute truth,
is just as bad as immediately proclaiming that what has been stated is definitely a lie.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Originally posted by jibeho

What's troubling to me, is that according to witnesses he jumped without hesitation in the middle of the afternoon. He parked his car, climbed a rather tall fence and jumped without ever a second thought. He was clearly hell bent on taking his own life. [color=FFFCD6]One suicide note in his car and another in his office.

......Tony Scott never even stopped to second guess himself. That's deep!!
Cannot know for sure, but I seriously doubt that he had just suddenly decided to park his car, get out, and jump. It is highly probable that he had repeatedly 'second-guessed' himself numerous times, before eventually settling upon this definitive conclusion.

He most likely knew exactly where he was going and what he was doing, before he had even put his keys into the ignition, earlier that day. He may have been contemplating it for several hours, a week, months, or possibly even years.

It is much more than simply second-guessing. It can be more closely similar to 2 different sides in a heated argument with one another. It is battle within your own mind, that is capable of continuing on for years. Not necessarily constant, but sporadically over long periods of time.
[color=FF8080]"Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! Don't do it! Do it! [color=FF8080]aaaaah screw it. Ok, I'll do it."

and also:

[color=FFFDB8]For the record, 9:48 p.m. Aug. 19:

An earlier version of this post incorrectly said a suicide note was found in Scott's car, which was parked on the bridge. In fact, the note found in his car listed contact information. Investigators later found a suicide note at his office.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

edit on 8/20/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

You make some great points...and have me thinking.

hmmm..who were these witnesses ?

something isn't adding up..

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Do you realize he had to climb a fence first?

Most of your points do not even apply remotely.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Can take terminally ill 0ff the *list. I NEVER kn0wn a terminally ill pers0n wh0 c0uld h0p a 12 ft fence.

Think steve j0bs

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Suicide is rough on the survivors.

People who commit suicide generally do not survive, just sayin

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnukeem

You also forgot to add "Days of thunder" movie

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Bridges like this almost always have security cameras, even some for watching for suicide jumpers. In fact, I can recall a story from LA just in the past year about a jumper from this exact bridge who was caught on camera. So there should be video of Scott jumping. I can understand if they wouldn't release it publicly out of respect for the family, but it should still exist. If it doesn't, then there's a problem with their story.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Final moments before Scott's death:
*edit: you don't really see Scott on the bridge...just events and stuff he went too...^

Finally, picture memories of this famed director in the following video:

edit on 20-8-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added note

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nine11
Cmon guys, dont tell me you actually BELIEVE this story??? It has b.s written all over it.

You've never been severely depressed have you?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Latest news is he had an inoperable brain tumor.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I read that Tony Scott was recently diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer; perhaps that diagnosis is the reason he decided to take his own life.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

That video does not show any CCTV footage of the bridge, or of Scott on the bridge. It's nothing more than some newscaster babbling away about Scott's life. Poorly labeled YT video.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I read that Tony Scott was recently diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer; perhaps that diagnosis is the reason he decided to take his own life.

Right - - inoperable brain Cancer.

I was thinking of my aunt who put a gun to her head. She had a brain tumor.

Maybe it was the Cancer itself affecting his thought process.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Interesting a c0nspiracy f0r euthanasia *legalization.*

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by caladonea

Right - - inoperable brain Cancer.

I was thinking of my aunt who put a gun to her head. She had a brain tumor.

Maybe it was the Cancer itself affecting his thought process.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

My heart goes out to you...about your Aunt. I don't really know anything about brain cancer...but I think your theory is a very good one...perhaps the thought process is affected in a negative direction.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ook33
reply to post by nine11

Is it really necessary to doubt everything?

The short answer would be: "Yes."

An answer offering a more thorough explanation for those who need it would go something more lik43e this: "So, according to you, anyone who doubts this story also doubts 'everything'? Wow, so I missed the m213emo that today is some special holiday where we are allowed to make up random things about people we don't know...

I wanna try! Ok, here goes... Anyone who had cereal for breakfast this morning also believes that breathing in rainbow farts gives you secret powers. There. Did...did I...um...did I do that right? Cause I don't FEEL any different... Oh, wait...ok, there it goes. There's that over-inflated sense of ego that allows me to feel as if I have the right to order other people around when it comes to their personal opinion. Silly cereal eaters!! When will you ever learn??"

I admit I have no evidence to say this was anything other than a suicide. However, it would be ridiculously naive of us not to investigate other possibilities given the man's wealth and fame and the obvious connections that go along with that. In fact, only one thing would make doing so even more of a complete failure of the faculties of logic. And that would be to do so while running about shouting down all who dare to question the official explanation and accusing them of being "doubters of all that exists" on top of it all. Such a circus of an idea of logic needs no bigger of a top to preside over the total chaos one might have the audacity to stand there and refer to as a human brain.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev

Originally posted by trysts
Sounds like he finally sat down and watched one of his own films.

How does this comment have two stars? Everyone's entitled to their opinion on his films, but this sort of statement is just sickening. Suicide is no joking matter.

I wasn't joking, TheStev. When a 68 year old man commits suicide, I respect that decision. I hope I am strong enough to take my own life, instead of disintegrating. His films always seem to have people taking risks, pushing the envelope, etc. His suicide seemed like an adventure, like one of his movies. When I'm joking, I put a "lol" after what I say.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join