It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worse drought in 50 years but Hey who cares Obama is going to protect Ethonal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Originally posted by jtma508
Unfortunately, if Obama had done his job and prevented the drought that wouldn't be the case.

Damn Him! He just lost my vote.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Actually the massive drought in the lower 48 has compounded the issue even further. Feed corn is intended to be a supplimental feed for cattle (Though it always has been a staple food for chickens). The drought has decimated the grazing lands in the west, leaving feed corn as the primary nutrient source for cattle. The drought has also limited corn stalk growth, leading to a serious shortage of silage (which is a very natural/healthy food source for cattle, btw).

The antibiotic, poor meat quality, fatty cattle argument isn't because of feed corn, by the way. It is because of overcrowded feed lots where disease runs rampant and the cattle are stacked like dominos.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by jtma508

Unfortunately, if Obama had done his job and prevented the drought that wouldn't be the case.

Damn Him! He just lost my vote.

Funny.

Because he's using tax payer money to "make it rain"

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What should be done? Nothing? Or not 'protect' ethanol production and necessitate more gasoline so gas prices go up (even more)? I'm not sure what the 'good' answer is here. If Mitt Romney wass in-charge what do you supppose he would do? I'm sure that is the correct answer.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

What should be done? Nothing? Or not 'protect' ethanol production and necessitate more gasoline so gas prices go up (even more)? I'm not sure what the 'good' answer is here. If Mitt Romney wass in-charge what do you supppose he would do? I'm sure that is the correct answer.

If Obama would have released more drilling in Anwar, or allowed drilling to resume in the Gulf, this would not have been the issue.

Gas will still go up, haven't you been watching the news (or getting gas)?
Food prices are also rising.

This was not a fix.

It was 170 million spent for a future campaign commercial.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

What should Obama do?

Put a stay on ethanol production mandate,release from the strategic oil reserve and let that corn go to the farmers and the oil used in transportation to get those goods to market.

but hey that makes too much sense doesn't it. just throw money at a problem and pat himself on the back for a "job well done".

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Oh yes looks like you got me. Not really because the crappy corn they feed to livestock is only fed to them because it is cheap and fattens them up quick for market. It makes for poorer quality meat that fattens you up as well. Ever had REAL beef fed the way nature intended? Cows were never meant to eat that crap by the time they go to slaughter their stomach is one big ulcer and they are dying and need to be fed antibiotics just to keep them alive. Antibiotic immune strains of bacteria and virus sound good? besides most farmers are taking and even cheaper crappier way of feeding their cows by feeding them the waste from the food manufacturing industry. It's no surprise to see feed troughs full of M&M's and such. Crap in crap out. You are what you eat.

WE have allowed this to happen not the president. Take some personal responsibility. Really Obama didn't plant those crops you did, you influenced the farmers decision of what to grow and how to raise his cattle by what you purchased.

Yes ethanol may destroy your car but crappy crops and crappy methods or farming/raising livestock will ruin something far more expensive to fix YOU. OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN! I have no idea why I even try. I'm going to beat my head into the wall much more productive and worth while.

Wow!!! Calm down......I hate Monsanto and understand absolutely what that company is about...

I was pointing out your flawed writing that you said humans do not eat the corn that was being talked about when in FACT we do! As you mentioned above, it is fed to the cattle, that we eat! Therefore to say that humans do not consume the corn is a false statement??

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by jtma508

Put a stay on ethanol production mandate,release from the strategic oil reserve and let that corn go to the farmers and the oil used in transportation to get those goods to market.

One of the main issues I had with GWB was his incessant pushing of ethanol. It's damn interesting that two of the biggest economical/industrial thorns in America's sides came from two Republican presidents who were supposedly haters of the environment. We've got Nixon to thank for the out of control monster known as the EPA and Bush to thank for ethanol's sacred status in US policy. Both need neutered, but I won't hold my breath for that to happen anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You'll get no argument from me about the stupidity of the EPA, and ethanol or for a bunch of people who supposedly hate the environment and I never seen the logic behind alternative energy that is dependent upon the climate, and to those who scream at the top of their voices the climate is changing.

Bush are you talking about the Energy Independence and Security Act?

en.wikipedia.org...

Nevermind

www.forbes.com...

Believe there was a difference between Obama and Bush ethanol production ?

meaning instead of corn as OBama pushed Bush pushed

That’s right. As bizarre as it sounds, the New York Times reports that oil refiners were required to blend 6.6 million gallons of cellulosic ethanol — a biofuel made from grasses such as switchgrass, woodchips, the inedible parts of plants and other organic material — in the gasoline intended for cars or pay a fine. But since cellulosic ethanol has never been mass-produced, there was none to buy. And so the refiners paid the fine (or is it a tax?).

cellulosic ethanol.either way there is so much BS surrounding alternative energy it's pathetic.
edit on 15-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Energy Policy Act of 2005... which is the mothership of a number of those so-called "Bush tax cuts" that this administration would like people to not investigate too deeply. The bill was heavily supported by Bush for its role in reducing taxes in exchange for companies and individuals becoming more energy independent and conservative. It was also the birthplace of the "Drill, baby, drill" argument in regards to ANWR oil. It was supported by Obama and, incidentally, was also the first salvo over potential federal oversight of fracking contaminants (a salvo which resulted in complete exemption of those fluid contaminants from falling under the guidelines of the Clean Water Act.)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Geez the more I look in to things the more i get PO'D from that forbes article there was a link to this story

blogs.forbes.com...

so how the hell is this nation suppose to have "energy independence" and pass all the stupid legislation they want when they turn around and sell foreign countries our energies reserves.

What is the point of it all?

Other that to make the consumer shell out more $$ for a pipe dream.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Dude, read THIS if you really want to crap some thunder.

Last year the U.S. received an average of 9.5 billion cubic feet a day of foreign gas – at least twice the volume a major Alaska gas pipeline would carry – and exported 4.1 bcf a day.

Now, I'm no engineer with a minor in advanced math (Oh, wait... actually I am
) but 1/2 of 9.5 BCF = 4.75 bcf. Add that Alaska pipeline estimate to the 4.1 BCF the US exports....
8.75 BCF. We could reduce our reliance on foreign natural gas from 9.5 BCF to a paltry .75 BCF purely by stopping the exporting and CONSTRUCTING A DAMN PIPELINE... Common sense would tell us that the remaining shortfall could easily be made up by simply allowing development of one of the many natural gas sources we know about but which the EPA/Congress refuses to permit development of.

I used to have an old pickup truck which had a natural gas egg in the bed. This technology isn't even remotely cutting edge. Mind you, natural gas is a byproduct, often a completely wasted byproduct, of oil exploration and recovery. For years oil companies have simply burnt it off because of a lack of demand. Now, with a building national demand for the stuff, the Feds decide to obstruct. Ultimately the bastards will end up selling all of our LNG to China and Japan and drive up our local electricity rates (NG fired generators provide much of the electricity in South Central AK) in the process.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
the drought is affecting soybean, hay and corn crops and it hasn't just effected dent corn, it's effected pop corn, flour corn and sweet corn alike, not to mention fruits, vegetable's as well. i think even if the world was a rose colored place, it would be wise to put some food aside for this one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No food? obama got it all?
whats he going to do with it? not let You have any.
So you go hungery...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Such Crap they are feeding us LOL.

I mean ill still pass the Chicken breast but seriously cat fish and pork? Pork only taste good in Chinese restaurants. I dont know anyone that eats catfish only if they really needed to eat. But seriously its a low percentage of Catfish eaters. Its still going to be cheaper to buy from fast-food restaurants anyways so why spend on this.

Its nonsense, they seriously couldnt spend that money on something better?

besides who is he going to buy this from? It better be to American family farmers, because if hes going to buy it from the already rich enough factories then you know whos side he is on
edit on 15-8-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I do not like the guy, never have and most likely never will. his policy's are way different than what I believe.
(yeah, I know that makes me a racist)

What I don't understand about this new plan is this........

Wouldn't those farmers and ranchers have sold that chicken,pork, lamb and catfish anyways.
The goods they have will be sold to consumers anyways. The problem is the goods they DON"T HAVE because of the drought.

So, your corn mostly died so I will help you out by buying the pig you were going to sell anyways to somebody else.
Now my next question is: When he sells the pig to Obama is he going to get as much as selling it on the open market?

If he said "I am going to buy all your dead dried up corn & soybeans" THEN I could see it helping....

They must be super smart and I am obviously really stupid so if someone could enlighten me..............

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join