It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worse drought in 50 years but Hey who cares Obama is going to protect Ethonal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Examiner Editorial: To protect ethanol, Obama seeks to inflate meat prices

Campaigning in Missouri Valley, Iowa, yesterday, President Obama announced yet another government spending program -- this time designed to inflate meat prices in Midwest swing states. "Today the Department of Agriculture announced that it will buy up to $100 million worth of pork products, $50 million worth of chicken, and $20 million worth of lamb and farm-raised catfish," Obama explained to reporters in front of a drought-stricken cornfield.

"Prices are low, farmers and ranchers need help, so it makes sense," Obama explained. "It makes sense for farmers who get to sell more of their product, and it makes sense for taxpayers who will save money because we're getting food we would have bought anyway at a better price."

washingtonexaminer.com...

None of this makes sense. In fact, Obama's move only harms American consumers while protecting a corrupt federal program.

Wny yes it doesn't make any sense considering the fact that under current government agricultural subsiidies that pay farmers not to grow and produce food, and under NAFTA that made beef prices worthless to the American beef producer, guarantee grain prices.

Corn and it's by products are used in so many things that is really too long to list, among that is livestock feed to my favorite beverage of choice Coca cola etc.

Thanks to the ethanol mandate, more than 40 percent of the nation's corn crop now goes into the production of a useless fuel that hardly anyone would buy if the government didn't require it.

This is true we are burning food for fuel which doesn't make a lick of sense, add that things that could relieve some of that stress like the Keystone pipeline.

What i do not see is how our tax money which is where that 100 million comes from is going to help millions of people and billions of products that are screwed this year.

So here we are government created the problem even tho droughts happen but the solution is more government.

Meh.
edit on 15-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The guy is a fool and a dangerous one at that. At least Mr. Peanut wasn't more dangerous than telling the nation to wear a sweater. Absurd as that was, this is just outright harmful. They wanted to put up an Ethanol facility outside town here as some other locals might jump in about with more details but the MAJOR fight over it was the water table and how much WATER the facilities themselves use. Forget using our FOOD CROPS in a world with FOOD SHORTAGES for fuel....
(Oil is worse?? Worse than WHAT exactly?)

The fear was the place would lower the water table in a region where everyone outside a major city is on a drilled well on their own property. That was long before Missouri was in any form of drought condition. Now the whole NATION is under drought conditions to one degree or another and most classed as Severe- Long Term on the outlook.

What does this idiot do? Gee... The farmers need money so lets pander to the farmers while in Iowa without even THINKING about asking if there may be larger issues at play which require a more thoughtful approach than a sound-byte and great sounding speech.
I don't care if the nation votes for Pee Wee Herman. Just not HIM again...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I thought I heard on the news this morning that they were also going to purchase beef, for community food banks and other government programs.

Is this going to make a shortage then, of low price beef, to the middle class that could really use a deal?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The corn they use for ethonal (field corn/dent corn) and the corn you eat (sweet corn) are very different strains of corn the type used to make ethonal is disgusting and only used for animal feed and the like. So to say corn used to feed people will decrease because it is being routed to make ethonal a big fat lie feed to you by those whose pockets it cuts into.

Where was everyone complaining about the number of farmers growing crap corn we can't eat when it was being planted? That seems to me to have been the smart time to do something about it. Now that it's in the ground it's a little too late.

They also use this crap corn (dent) to make high fructose corn syrup. Want farmers to grow more edible corn put down the big sip 55oz soda. If there is less demand for crappy corn farmers will be forced to quit growing crappy corn. Its all about supply and demand.

Why not complain about what will be given and sold overseas instead of being kept at home to lower prices for American consumers?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Hey! Will you stop confusing wrecking the thread with facts? These guys were having a lovely Obama-bashing circle-wank and you came along a ruined it. Shame on you!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

The corn they use for ethonal (field corn/dent corn) and the corn you eat (sweet corn) are very different strains of corn the type used to make ethonal is disgusting and only used for animal feed and the like. So to say corn used to feed people will decrease because it is being routed to make ethonal a big fat lie feed to you by those whose pockets it cuts into.

Did you just contradict yourself?

If it is used to feed animals, just who do you think eats those animals? Therefore, corn=food for people!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Seen the price of Ground Beef lately? Just hit a record high and it will only get worse because of the ethanol subsidy. Feed corn is being plowed into the ground because of natural toxins brought on by the drought.

The average price of ground beef hit a record high in the United States in July, according to data released Wednesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The BLS has been tracking the average price of a pound of 100% ground beef since 1984. In July, it cost $3.085, up from $3.007 in June.

Prior to June, the average cost of 100% ground beef in the United States had never topped $3.00.

Prices move faster than the inflation rate

Since January 2009, the price of ground chuck has outpaced overall inflation. Had it tracked overall inflation, it would be $3.16 per pound now instead of approximately $3.45.

cnsnews.com...

Ground beef is a staple item in homes all across middle class America....

Think its time to break up the EPA yet? I do!!!! All in the name of Ethanol!!! which is bad for your engine...unless it is specifically designed to run on it.

Ethanol is more corrosive and burns hotter than gasoline, properties that could cause some engines to stall, misfire and overheat. Fuel with higher ethanol blends emits more nitrous oxide and formaldehyde than gasoline, lowers mileage and damages fuel tanks and pumps.

"Instead of approving a fuel that will pose health and safety hazards and damage engines, the U.S. should invest in energy efficiency measures and research and development for truly sustainable biofuels," said Karpf. "The high cost of replacing or repairing engines will be tacked onto corn ethanol's other costs -- including higher food prices, increased soil erosion and polluted water supplies."

www.consumeraffairs.com...

www.ewg.org...

The Truth about Ethanol
www.ewg.org...
www.ewg.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

A #1 thread killer at your service! I am a thread assassin.

The real problem will be that countries with rising standards of living like China will be offering to pay more for our food crops than Americans can afford. You will see big containers being shipped overseas to fetch a higher price while Americans struggle to afford food. THAT is the real threat. Food will go to the highest bidder and it sure as heck isn't the American public. This is a DIRECT result of all the jobs shipped elsewhere. These rising economies can now afford to eat like we USED to be able to.

Cause and effect. Remember this everyone who could have cared less because it wasn't THEIR job being shipped overseas when your seeing those trucks lined up at the ports to ship your food overseas. Sucks don't it.

I don't used stand why we are paying top dollar for oil you can't eat oil. The farmers hold the real power or they did till Monsatan drove them under.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I thought I heard on the news this morning that they were also going to purchase beef, for community food banks and other government programs.

Is this going to make a shortage then, of low price beef, to the middle class that could really use a deal?

Farmers are selling their herds, because they know they won't be able to afford it....so expect a decrease in beef followed by a huge increase as the number of herds gets smaller and smaller.

What I really hate is the government saying to expect a 4% increase - BLOODY HELL, FOOD PRICES have rose at least 12% just this past year. I would say at least a 20-30% would be more realistic.....I expect a lot of civil strife as people are unable to afford to buy food.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

A #1 thread killer at your service! I am a thread assassin.

The real problem will be that countries with rising standards of living like China will be offering to pay more for our food crops than Americans can afford. You will see big containers being shipped overseas to fetch a higher price while Americans struggle to afford food. THAT is the real threat. Food will go to the highest bidder and it sure as heck isn't the American public. This is a DIRECT result of all the jobs shipped elsewhere. These rising economies can now afford to eat like we USED to be able to.

Cause and effect. Remember this everyone who could have cared less because it wasn't THEIR job being shipped overseas when your seeing those trucks lined up at the ports to ship your food overseas. Sucks don't it.

I don't used stand why we are paying top dollar for oil you can't eat oil. The farmers hold the real power or they did till Monsatan drove them under.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It has to do with protecting the corporate dictatorship and screwing the consumer.

Plain and simple, is been like that for a long time, but many people can not digest the realities of corruption in our nation, after all we are the nation of "opportunity" and "freedom" but only for the ones running the nation behind the government.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
For those who think they are "thread assasin's"

www.gsmcweb.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Maybe it's the painkillers, but I'm not getting it.

Obama spent 100 million so we don't have to pay higher prices on meat?

I don't understand.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Oh yes looks like you got me. Not really because the crappy corn they feed to livestock is only fed to them because it is cheap and fattens them up quick for market. It makes for poorer quality meat that fattens you up as well. Ever had REAL beef fed the way nature intended? Cows were never meant to eat that crap by the time they go to slaughter their stomach is one big ulcer and they are dying and need to be fed antibiotics just to keep them alive. Antibiotic immune strains of bacteria and virus sound good? besides most farmers are taking and even cheaper crappier way of feeding their cows by feeding them the waste from the food manufacturing industry. It's no surprise to see feed troughs full of M&M's and such. Crap in crap out. You are what you eat.

WE have allowed this to happen not the president. Take some personal responsibility. Really Obama didn't plant those crops you did, you influenced the farmers decision of what to grow and how to raise his cattle by what you purchased.

Yes ethanol may destroy your car but crappy crops and crappy methods or farming/raising livestock will ruin something far more expensive to fix YOU. OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN! I have no idea why I even try. I'm going to beat my head into the wall much more productive and worth while.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Maybe it's the painkillers, but I'm not getting it.

Obama spent 100 million so we don't have to pay higher prices on meat?

I don't understand.

Neither does that Havard graduate

www.statesman.com...

100 million > than 5.2 billion

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

To recap, government is driving up the cost of food, animal feed and gasoline, and Obama's solution is to drive up meat prices as well. Obama could eliminate the entire problem overnight and reduce carbon emissions were he to waive the ethanol mandate in a time of drought. Instead, he is creating a new spending program to mollify livestock producers, who, were it not for the ethanol mandate, would be able to make an honest living without his help.

This administration seems to be infatuated with meddling in places where they have no business.

vote "Windmills 2012"

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Pssst, I have a secret. That ethanol corn which is "disgusting and only used to make animal feed and the like" indirectly feeds everyone who eats those animals. When the prices on that feed are skyrocketing, the prices on the livestock which eat that feed also skyrockets because it costs more to feed them before they are processed into delicious steaks, ground meat products, sausages, bacon, and assorted chicken parts for yummy deep fat frying. There is no lie in this thread, but there is clearly a significant disconnect in some people's understanding of the agrigultural food chain and the impact ethanol subsidies and mandates have on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No. It's not about keeping meat prices down. They're going up regardless. Unfortunately, if Obama had done his job and prevented the drought that wouldn't be the case. The intent of the purchases is to support the smaller farms. We're losing smaller 'family farms' at a frightening pace and that is a dangerous situation. Because of the drought a large number of farms have had to send a large portion of their animals to market long before they want to. This has a dire negative impact on the farms' revenue and many could fail. We can't lose these farms. Once the land is developed it's basically gone. We're already putting our agricultural eggs into far too few baskets and that puts us all at-risk.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I agree and who doesn't like a big fat bloody steak. However it doesn't change the fact we shouldn't be feeding cattle this crappy corn. Crappy corn = crappy meat. You really like a good steak eat a cow fed the way it was meant to fed. This issue was created by trying to get something for nothing. You always get what you pay for and cutting corners always equates a loss someplace else.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

So Obama spends 170 million to save some farmers (maybe, don't they have insurance?) and puts the onus on the poor and middle class.

Cloward-Piven?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join