It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA busted Editing curiosity pics!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Where is the second picture from an official Nasa source?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I think it's Mars mainly because they didn't bother editing the 'road' out. If this was taken on earth, that would be the first thing to go IMO. I am quite interested in that bit, obviously some natural artifact but how did it come about. Water?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
All photos gets processed in one way or another.

Remember when you had you film camera, and you got films with different emulsions, depending on what type of light was used. You got films with an emulsion for tungsten light, flash light, daylight, etc, etc. During processing you could change the exposure again, to bring out contrast, etc.

Digital photography is no different. Why do you think your camera (and that includes your cellphone camera) has got different settings for white balance. The camera makes a guess as to what the average gray should be, and it bases everything around that. It is not very accurate, but it is convenient. If you want to have accurate color, you have to photograph a calibration target, and change the white-balance according to that.

Your camera also does something called sharpening, which makes the picture appear sharper. If you have a good camera that can take raw images, you will find it is a lot less sharp, than the jpegs that comes out of the camera.

You can do all sorts of things to bring out obscured details. Your camera does it automatically for you.

For professional stuff in which you want to bring out more and more detail, you work with raw images, and you don't allow the camera to do it for you, as you know better than the camera what to do.

The same applies to astronomical images. All images are processed to bring out the most details.

No picture would ever look alike, even if the camera is stationary. What the picture looks like depends on the position of the sun, any clouds, any haze, etc, etc.

If you want to say that NASA is cheating with the images, just remember that every other photograph you see are tweaked in the same way, even the images that you take with your cell phone.

I do recommend you read up on photographic processing. It is not only used to cheat like in the fashion magazines, but it is necessary to make a workable image out of the original.

edit on 15/8/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by MamaJ
Does editing a photo mean its fake though?

Please tell me in detail WHY you think they are fake.... Thanks! :-)

Sure it does.. if I posted the un-edited version of me in my ATS photo ( that's a heavily edited real photo of me btw ) ... then that automatically means I have in fact been faked.. I don't really exist..

And you can clearly see a road on my forehead

Hahaha... Professor that looks like a ball of light on your forehead!?

Really cool editing btw!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Problem is, some people have already made their mind up about NASA so they forget to engage their brain in their angry little heads...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If the OP had been paying attention, the NASA web site clearly explains that the second image has been white balanced. Sunlight passing through dust in the Martian atmosphere gives the scene a reddish cast. White balance is the process of removing unrealistic color casts, so that objects which would appear white under white light are rendered white in the image.

Proper camera white balance has to take into account the "color temperature" of a light source, which refers to the relative warmth or coolness of white light. The human eye is very good at judging what is white under different light sources, but digital cameras often have difficulty with auto white balance and can create unsightly blue, orange, or even green color casts. Have you ever taken a picture of a white airplane at night under sodium vapor lamps? It comes out looking orange. This is easily fixed by applying a white balance filter to the image.

The title of this thread is misleading, at best, and could possibly be considered an outright lie. The OP had all the necessary information at his fingertips on the NASA web site. This is just one of several white balanced images displayed on the site with full explanation.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Curiosity is not on mars, it is on earth. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence apparently, and until we have some, a picture that looks like it is on earth, is on earth - not mars the moon, or anywhere else.

nasa need to fake stuff to attempt and justify public funding.

thousands of people are involved, but only in their own respected pigeon hole. They genuinely believe they are working on the project, there is just a small cluster of people who know the true source of the curiosity feed.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and Sinthia is not offering any. If NASA had to fake their missions to get more funding, wouldn't they fake something a heck of a lot more interesting than a bunch of rocks?

There are too many moronic threads claiming that NASA hoaxes everything. The simple fact is that NASA and all the other space agencies of the world have pooled the talents of engineers, scientists, and technicians to explore our solar system. We should be proud of their achievements.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sinthia

The signals from the MSL have been picked up by third parties, including the landing sequence. The different stages of entry and landing evident in the Doppler shift:

www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join