It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glitch or Photoshop retouching within Recent Nasa Mars Image.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lets dive into what i noticed.

A member uploaded a recent image of NASA's mars photos, so i immediately noticed an odd formation and upon further magnification i seen what might be a tech glitch or some bad Photoshop. Below are the images in question.

I have cut and paste a formation of rocks that seems to fit or should i say seem to resemble a camera mounted on a base. Sure we have seen formations of rock that resemble faces and people but this does seem strange. I have something similar in my garden that are buried with soil and transmit images with a fov that shows me the rear and front of my property. The size of these are no bigger than your packet of cigarets and only the camera lens sticks out of the soil.

The second image shows the possible Photoshop or tech glitch of pixel distortion or bad Photoshop retouching.

in
b/w

edit on 13-8-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Do you have a direct link to the source of this image by any chance?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Holosapien

Sure give me a minute of so, it was also posted in ats. Odd thing is as of posting this thread im getting time out responses to ats only !

Source

www.nasa.gov...

hi res

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Just putting this ‘out there’ it looks like tracks, the rover tracks, I’m not sure if it’s mobile yet, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
Just putting this ‘out there’ it looks like tracks, the rover tracks, I’m not sure if it’s mobile yet, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Mickierocksman

These tracks made by the Spirit rover

Its what i thought, but when i download the hi res, it seems that it should have shown more than one linear line of tracks and as you can see they have a beginning and end rather than an consecutive linear path. ( from beyond the horizon leading up to the point of that the image was taken. Check out the source link and see for yourself.

Although at the bottom of the image we can see a set of crop marks that might justify a merging of two images but yet we should have seen another set of crop marks further up and perhaps more distortion of pixels if two images were used to fuse a single image.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the link to the original source.

Honestly, all I see is a rock. We get to see a lot of these 'anomalies' on many images coming back from mars.

For example many images that came back from Gusev Crater sent by Spirit are filled with interesting 'anomalies' of different shapes and sizes, however, they are just rocks. In my opinion.

Take this image for example:
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Zoom in on the top right corner. Do you see anything there?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yup i see that..hehe..but whats your take on the pixel distortion that i have mapped out.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Yup i see that..hehe..but whats your take on the pixel distortion that i have mapped out.

I believe one of the two possible options you mentioned before is the reason. I don't know how NASA stich their images together to make one. So, it could be either a glitch or a bad photoshop.

Take a look at this image. I'm still trying to figure out how Spirit made that maneuver.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

The second image shows the possible Photoshop or tech glitch of pixel distortion or bad Photoshop retouching.

Ummm...

This is part of a larger, high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.

www.nasa.gov...

What you are seeing is the area where two images overlap.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Ummm...

This is part of a larger, high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.

www.nasa.gov...

What you are seeing is the area where two images overlap.

I understand the overlapping , but that would also imply that the stitching runs vertical (from top to bottom) of the photo, in which case that is not happening here.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I understand the overlapping , but that would also imply that the stitching runs vertical (from top to bottom) of the photo, in which case that is not happening here.

That only happens in very rare cases, when everything on the scene is far away and not affected by camera movement and lens characteristics.

If you have a camera, try it for yourself, you will see that the images rarely align along the vertical and horizontal axis.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

So you're claiming what? That it isn't stitched?
Here are the original images. See how you can do. But you'll have to decide if you want the foreground or background to play nice.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 8/14/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah thanks phage..

I see what you mean, but i guess out of the billions NASA could afford a Photoshop user to help them stitch photo's..!. Without wanting to make waves, its rather odd they tried to stitch the photo with so much overlap.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Ah thanks phage..

I see what you mean, but i guess out of the billions NASA could afford a Photoshop user to help them stitch photo's..!. Without wanting to make waves, its rather odd they tried to stitch the photo with so much overlap.

Photoshop isn't panorama software. Please show us how NASA's panorama can be improved with it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

They probably used an automated system, like the one I use.

But if you want another, non-NASA panorama, you can look at this thread.

Edit: you can also see some problems with that version, but you can also see that they are different from the ones on the NASA version.
edit on 14/8/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks for that and i did read your reply when you posted it its just i couldn't log into the pc from the location i was out. You know how it is at the pentagone, they get kinda weird on sites like this.

P.S. Thanks for the source
and your gift for helping me out on the thread is the below vid, i would rather insret it but ive mod slapped for my lack of humor.

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join