It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question on ownership, copyright issues with ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hi bosses!

easy question (I hope)

If I'm writing a book and want feedback, and I publish exerpts on the short story forum, do I still get to claim ownership or once it's on ATS, it belongs to ATS?

Thanks.

beez

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
just make a site, tons of free ones out there.....write it down there first, then just use that as a source before posting it here.

therefore it is your content

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
just make a site, tons of free ones out there.....write it down there first, then just use that as a source before posting it here.

therefore it is your content

Ahhh, good idea!

Just wanted to be clear on copyright laws with ATS though.

(But I'll do that, all the same!)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If you actually are able to convince a publishing house to print your work, then there will need to be a copyright agreement worked out. The way I understand this works is that the agreement will be entirely between the author and the publisher and anything posted anywhere online (which is part of that agreement) will need to be 'taken down'.

This can be arranged by contacting the administration of ATS.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Easy, but not simple.

You always own every bit of everything you post here and can do whatever you want with any of it.

So can ATS.

Now in the case of a work you think you might want to eventually publish elsewhere, you might be tying yourself in a knot. ATS will have no problem whatsoever with your pursuing other opportunity, and you'll always be free to do whatever you want with your own material, as far as ATS is concerned.

Where this could be problematic is with a potential publisher. They usually aren't thrilled with the idea of taking on anything for publication that has been previously published or posted elsewhere. So that's the warning - what some other entity has issue with, we have literally (pun intended) no control over.

For your own protection, I'd advise not posting anything here you might want to consider eventually publishing elsewhere. Not because ATS would care, but because a potential publisher might, since by virtue of posting it here, you no longer have exclusive rights to it. Publishers typically don't like that sort of loose end.

[Edit to add]

And of course while I was composing that mini screed, others filled in and answered the question. So anyway, good luck.

edit on 8/12/2012 by yeahright because: ETA

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

reply to post by masqua

Thank you both for your input.

beez

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I know, from past experience, that the last thing the ATS administration wants to do is be a problem for a member to become successful in a career, be it as a writer or anything else. If anything, they will be more than helpful.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
You will find a lot of useful writers and advice at authonomy.com. People post their works there all the time. I know, aside from all the troll posts you get from people to read their stories, you really do get a lot of constructive feedback. And it is also owned by HarperCollins*. If they think it's good enough they'll publish it.
edit on 13-8-2012 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Anybody know if censorship has become a problem? institution?

Is the difference between stylistic/commercial editing versus censorship detectable?

Self-publishing marketted from various web sites might be the only way to distribute the best

internet cutting out alot

When I see or hear authors on TV or radio they all have MSM views on assasinations, the Fed, The Republicrats and Demopublicans etc.

And there are ideas and juxtapositions of ideas that are NEVER broadcast.

good thread beez

edit on 14-8-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I am paying attention to your questions

top topics

join