It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sol 3's images just in. All in glorious colour!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

There you have it folks. All in colour too. All I can say is "wow!".

Some stunning vista shots. Can't wait for the full resolution one's when they have been compiled!
edit on 10-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Err... they went millions of miles to land their Buck Rogers rover..in Barstow? lol....

Seriously, was this where they meant to land? I understand safety in not wanting to hit anything..but it looks so barren? Won't they have some real travel distance to get to something more interesting than the field of endless loose stones?

I'm sure they planned all this out...but that is why I ask, is this actually the target landing zone? Thanks anyone who can help.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What's a field of loose stones to you, is a geological gold mine to others. They will be examining the sediments of Mt Sharp in due course.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Thanks for posting

- think we are looking here at remnants of hydrothermal vein

The white looking rocks appear to be silica based with traces of iron

The regolith is heavily oxidised

Very beautiful and very special

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I appreciate the reply. Heck, after seeing the virtual tour of that rover with all the instruments, drills and cameras highlighted and explained, I'm very anxious actually. I'll be watching this with great interest for it's whole mission life. I have high hopes this one gets us something truly new. They sure loaded it with enough gizmos and tools! (crosses paws for good luck)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Interesting...Im gonna go see what this trip cost.
edit on (8/10/1212 by shells4u because: added something

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Well that mountain didn't just get there all by itself. So I would say you very close to the truth.

There is also evidence to suggest that water probably flowed here too. There are alluvial fans and there is also evidence of scarps in the surrounding environment.

So in the past, this place was volcanically active, probably with geezers and such close by. There was flowing water. The crater walls act just like a valley, so rich mineral run off from rains would be washed into the basin, so you'd end end with a very mineral rich mud in certain locales. Mix these ingredients up, and you have a recipe for life.

Awesome work NASA, top notch location!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Wows.
edit on 10-8-2012 by DjangoPhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Err... they went millions of miles to land their Buck Rogers rover..in Barstow? lol....

Seriously, was this where they meant to land? I understand safety in not wanting to hit anything..but it looks so barren? Won't they have some real travel distance to get to something more interesting than the field of endless loose stones?

I'm sure they planned all this out...but that is why I ask, is this actually the target landing zone? Thanks anyone who can help.

When everyone accepts that mars will turn out very similar to earth all the mystery is gone.

Thankfully this process will prove it

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread / pics.

Looks a lot like AZ. no wonder there are so many aliens in Phoenix.

(Bad joke.)

Really though thanks 4 sharing.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by magma

Well that mountain didn't just get there all by itself. So I would say you very close to the truth.

There is also evidence to suggest that water probably flowed here too. There are alluvial fans and there is also evidence of scarps in the surrounding environment.

So in the past, this place was volcanically active, probably with geezers and such close by. There was flowing water. The crater walls act just like a valley, so rich mineral run off from rains would be washed into the basin, so you'd end end with a very mineral rich mud in certain locales. Mix these ingredients up, and you have a recipe for life.

Awesome work NASA, top notch location!

In order for oxidisation to occur you need a catylist.

Guess what that was....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Yeah, very beautifull pictures...but boring. Probably because there is nothing much to see in a dessert.

Still ...I could be terrible wrong of course....but my intuition says there is something wrong with these pictures with a horizon.. The same feel I get with these horizon pictures made by Apollo astronauts on the moon.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Exactly. As far as I understand it, you need a volatile ORGANIC compound.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

You have not looked at rocks and dirt and horizens too much have you

Intuition in your case is mis aligned

Sorry to be the bearer of truth

Maybe you could have another look....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

reply to post by magma

Exactly. As far as I understand it, you need a volatile ORGANIC compound.
[/q]

As we know it.

One of the most corrosive substances on our planet....

It is vital for life....

It is.....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by zatara

You have not looked at rocks and dirt and horizens too much have you

Intuition in your case is mis aligned

Sorry to be the bearer of truth

Maybe you could have another look....

Yep...I expected a reply like yours and before posting I did have an other look. Could be nothing of course and you are probably right...... but the feel remains the same....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Acid. Water. Oxygen. Lots
edit on 10-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Something tells me all we will be seeing are pictures of rocks possibly, some cracks on the ground from mountains.

This mission was to test sedimentary rocks and debris.

I would love to see a tall mountain or snow.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Nevermind -_-
edit on 10-8-2012 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Yeah, very beautifull pictures...but boring. Probably because there is nothing much to see in a dessert.

Still ...I could be terrible wrong of course....but my intuition says there is something wrong with these pictures with a horizon.. The same feel I get with these horizon pictures made by Apollo astronauts on the moon.

The atmospheres less dense than on earth so thats why the views in the distance are similar to the moons.
Mars Surface density: ~0.020 kg/m3 Earth the density of air at sea level is about 1.2 kg/m3
edit on 10-8-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join