It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sol 3's images just in. All in glorious colour!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DjangoPhat

Whether or not it was planned out before hand. The way the information is released and how, is slowly diffusing the shooting. I am sure I have read it in a psychology book in high-school, I believe it is called Classical conditioning. Now I could be wrong, admitting right now. I will look at it while at work but it will take a little bit.

Classical Conditioning

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

I definately think that we are being conditioned all the time, and that the Colorado shooting stinks, but to say that they are using Curiousity to obfuscate the shooting just doesn't make sense.

At least not in a planned out, action/reaction kind of way.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DjangoPhat

Hmm you might be right, I mean I guess it's possible for other people to be right

But I don't believe in coincidence. I will just keep my ear to the ground.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

RE calcium sulfate. It depends on it's composition and form (think gypsum). We don't know what it might be mixed with, I'm sure there are numerous chemical compounds in evidence, that when combined will give it extended sustainability.

The point I was trying to make is, calcium sulfate is a natural fertilizer, and is in fact used in many manufactured fertilizers due to it's soluble nature and it's not washed away very easily. It stays in the soil for a long time.

You can usually find high amounts of calcium sulfate around the mouths of some hot springs.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by magma

RE calcium sulfate. It depends on it's composition and form (think gypsum). We don't know what it might be mixed with, I'm sure there are numerous chemical compounds in evidence, that when combined will give it extended sustainability.

The point I was trying to make is, calcium sulfate is a natural fertilizer, and is in fact used in many manufactured fertilizers due to it's soluble nature and it's not washed away very easily. It stays in the soil for a long time.

You can usually find high amounts of calcium sulfate around the mouths of some hot springs.

I agree. - I would be inclined to suggest that the weathering profile may reveal sediments of a heavy mineral nature and alluvium is insitu. - I do not think the photo in question reveals outward evidence of hot spring. This is not to saythe gypsum is not there more to suggest localised exploration may reveal that evidence.
-I believe we are looking at a collapsed ridge in a basin the solid white rocks are quartz like with iron. This suggests at least 2 billion years of weathering insitu

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Without doubt. I'm not suggesting that particular area is a hot spring. I'm just saying that calcium sulfate can be found around the mouths of some hot springs on Earth. This area is probably an old lake bed. If there was a hot spring pumping out various chems including calcium sulfate, it would have been dissolved into the water really quickly, giving it a large dispersal area.

It's presence, will suggest that the lake was (relatively) warm and salty.

I'm pretty sure they found calcium sulfate compounds on the last rover mission? Can anyone confirm that?
edit on 10-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wildapache

Do People realize that this is a science expedition and not some tourism/lets visit the aliens houses over there expedition?
I'm not asking for aliens... I'm asking for something other than close up pics of dirt. Like nice scenic landscape views which can give us a nice feel of the area.
edit on 10/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I suggest that you go watch TV. I'll send you a U2U when something develops.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Great pics and a foretaste of things to come ... I can't wait for the full res pictures .. the red planet not so red after all ... who'd of thought it

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

FYI I hardly ever watch TV... I simply can't see why everyone is having spasms over such a set of bland images. I mean how god damn hard is it to snap a few long distance landscape shots to please people. If I were to let the conspiracy theorist in my take over I would say they are only showing us this crap whilst keeping the more interesting pictures to themselves and they will only release the better pictures after they have been carefully white-listed.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
look why dont they just freakin fly there already...
im sure there are plenty of people that are willing to die on a one way trip... and who knows maybe they can make it back.
or just take people from death row and ask if they want to die in an electric chair, or die as a hero..
prisoners can obviously deal with small spaces for long periods of time.
that 2.5 billion could have solved alot of problems here on earth...this is all unnecessary. just go there already and put up a dam tent... go closer to the north where the ice can be used as water and oxygen and im sure there is food there.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

There are pictures of vistas in the images. Have you even looked? The high resolution pictures will be along later.

If you read the thread (hell even the OP), you would know there are vista images.

As has also been said, what might look like a picture of dirt to you, will be highly interesting to a geologist or chemist. It will tell us what this place used to be like and whether it was suitable for harbouring life. You might not find the picture interesting, but I bet you will find the answers they give to be interesting, right?

Are you interested to see if Mars once harboured life?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loueber

I don't even know where to start with that post.

When the capability is there to safely transit people to and from Mars, people whom are on death row, do not deserve to have that privilege.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

FYI I hardly ever watch TV... I simply can't see why everyone is having spasms over such a set of bland images. I mean how god damn hard is it to snap a few long distance landscape shots to please people. If I were to let the conspiracy theorist in my take over I would say they are only showing us this crap whilst keeping the more interesting pictures to themselves and they will only release the better pictures after they have been carefully white-listed.

One persons crap is another persons treasure

You surely should realise this by now.

Stripaway your materialism and investigate deeper and the beauty will be revealed

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

There you have it folks. All in colour too. All I can say is "wow!".

Some stunning vista shots. Can't wait for the full resolution one's when they have been compiled!
link deosne work.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DEV1L79

I think the site is having tech problems at the moment. It's probably the amount of traffic they are generating.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
I'm not asking for aliens... I'm asking for something other than close up pics of dirt. Like nice scenic landscape views which can give us a nice feel of the area.
edit on 10/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

These images (the panorama is a mosaic of many images, stitched together) were taken by a pre-arranged camera setting instruction -- instructions that had been sent to curiosity several weeks ago. The images are more "test images" to show the engineers that the rover's cameras are working properly. They have not yet sent new camera-pointing instructions up to the rover, because the rover is still going through its post-landing diagnostics and software updates.

When the camera instructions were sent to the rover weeks ago, they had no idea which direction the rover would be facing, so they did not know what these first images would be.

As for the dirt...

NASA believes the area the rover has landed in was once a very wet place -- perhaps even a relatively deep lake. Some of that dirt may just be sand blown in over the past millions of years, but some of that dirt could be part of an ancient lake bed.

You can bet that is damn exciting to geologists and astrobiologists. This area is a prime candidate for NASA's search to find out if mars could ever supported life.

Having said that, the real exciting stuff is in the opposite direction, toward Mount Sharp. Mount Sharp has clay deposits (Clay is known only top for in wet environments) and it has exposed rock strata that may be sediment laid down by that ancient long-gone lake.
edit on 8/10/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Good information people, thanks.
A question for the geology-enabled: I read that they suspect past volcanic activity in the formation of the Mt. (I don't recall the name right now), so are they attributing the possible water to underground based water springs or to a past atmospheric presence of H2O?
(I don't know if I worded that one right..)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Well considering Mars' similarities with Earth, if there was a significant amount of water, I'd expect to see similar results as Earth (including weather effects).

So I think both are very likely and aren't mutually exclusive to one another. For there to be water coming from spings, the water will be coming from elsewhere, getting heated, then being thrust back to the surface. It won't be being created by the spring as I understand it.

EDIT: What I'm basically saying is, there will be some kind of cycle, very similar to Earth, in regard to H2O distribution.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Err... they went millions of miles to land their Buck Rogers rover..in Barstow? lol....

Seriously, was this where they meant to land? I understand safety in not wanting to hit anything..but it looks so barren? Won't they have some real travel distance to get to something more interesting than the field of endless loose stones?

I'm sure they planned all this out...but that is why I ask, is this actually the target landing zone? Thanks anyone who can help.

I think the Mars surface is pretty much like these pictures. They picked this region because its inside an impact crater where they can look back into the layers that are exposed and "see" what it was like on Mars millions of years ago. They surely were not worried they'd hit a tree. Just didn't want to land in a complete desert and not be able to see possible differences in the strata. Make sense if you think about it. They are looking for what Mars was like before in lost it's atmosphere and water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join