It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

open carry illegal stop - when the president follows the constitution - I will....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Here's what just happened in Connecticut the other day.Attorney defends right to carry gun to Batman showing

Read more: www.ctpost.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

The line that stood out to me the most in that article: "Sometimes just because something is legal doesn't make it right," DeStefano said.

Which is clearly an unconstitutional statement, but this snippet got me as well: "It's not specifically illegal to be in a theater with a handgun," he said. "But what often happens is that people are charged with breach of peace if you act in such a way that you alarm other people, which, by definition, is breach of peace."
He said since more than one person called police to complain, "clearly he was upsetting people, which makes it a breach of peace."

So if your breaching the freedoms of others, does it become a crime? I mean I'm not saying they should've detained him but if the majority of patrons didn't feel comfortable around the guy then he should've left.

edit on 10-8-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
in the video that was posted in the OP and the second video that was posted, they had two main key points. CITIZENS WERE ALARMED. i personally feel that if more citizens knew what their rights were, they wouldnt be so alarmed to see someone exercising their rights.

if more people in this country were as knowledgeable about their rights as these two gentlemen were, then the police would be more hesitant to harrass and violate citizens rights. knowledge is power.

an individual that doesn't know their rights, doesn't know when their rights are being violated.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well done. I live for videos like this. This strength and defiance in the face of those infringing upon our liberties is an inspiration. I couldn't disagree more with the same old folks (as usual) showing up to say the man in the video did something wrong, by knowing his rights, voicing them, and remaining empowered in the face of the police state. Cheers to you, my friend.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the cops are talking their jobs way to personally.

all the cop had to do was ask if he was legally entitled to carry the gun.

if the guy says yes, say thank you have a nice day and then your off the hook and everybody is happy.

Oh, that's foolproof! A criminal would say no.

This man perfectly displays the type of paranoia common among gun owners. Was he breaking a law? No, but he could have been more polite, especially if he's dealt with this issue before. As soon as he mentioned the marijuana charge, I assume he was carrying, hence his hesitance to pass along ID. Simple search and off to jail he goes.

He got away this time, but next time he won't.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
His absolute right to carry outweighs the public's inferred right to "feel safe".

Just as ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it, people's ignorance of other's rights doesn't criminalize them.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

da-troof, baby....c'mon....really
We should chat, Icould talk you into seeing it differently

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

I laughed so much during this video. This guy obviously knows his law, and rolled right over them.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Actually a pretty good video, I am not a huge gun guy, but I have to give the man credit, he was polite yet defiant. Where people lose me is when they come off like jerks, and yeah he approached that, but never called the officers names or any other truly offensive behavior. The officers were trying to do their jobs, but I agree, he was much more knowledgeable concerning the law. All in all, a pretty educational video.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
A question for LEO's out there. Does a complaint by another citizen provide probable cause? Not trying to start a flame war, just actually curious.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here's the thing, maybe for folks not from the US:

The right to bear arms is protected by the highest law of the land: The Constitution.

There is no right to not feel alarmed.

Violating a 'breaching the peace' statute would be a much lower law...state or local ordinance type thing. A constitutional right trumps such an arbitrary rule.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Some states don't allow the gun to be loaded, can you believe it? What good is a gun if it doesn't go boom. I once got stopped packing a shouldered 44 magnum 10 inch and was asked if it was loaded I say absolutely!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The problem with the video and the intention s of the man in it are a little suspect to me. I don't know many people that vid tape themselves going to get potatoes at the local market. I'm an avid supporter of our Constitutional rights and I have no problem with open carry. But this guy was told someone called about this man. Rights or no rights when cops roll up on a call you are still the man with a gun. When you open carry in places where there are plenty of people all it takes is one idiot anti gun person top make the call and they are going to respond to it. And if legal open carry is all you are trying to do then show the LEO an ID and let them and you get on their way. Being combative in this instance was just a waste of time.

I'm a member of a few firearms forums and I see tons of these vids all the time. People go out with their handgun and vid cam to get something to upload to youtube. It just seems to me that it's more a trying to get your 15 minutes than trying to fight for ones right to carry. I myself open carry form time to time and have been stopped more than once. Sure, it's annoying but it's more annoying when I have to sit there longer than I think I need to. So I'll try to get things wrapped up as quick as possible. They want an ID? Fine. The faster I can get back to what I was doing the better. Sure I can deny them but I think that just help create the opinion that open carry people are just asshats trying to force a point. I think we do ourselves more a service by showing we are responsible gun owners and being we are not breaking the law we have no problem getting the officer on his way and back to pinching some waitress's rear end or telling stories to badge bunnies that make them all "swoony".

These cops in the vid looked more annoyed that the guy wanted to do anything he could to show he was in control. Like I said, when cops show up about a call received you may be within your rights but you are still the man with a gun. I can see why this could make them nervous until they get the situation properly assessed.

I understand the mans frustration but he could have saved everything a lot of time by just doing whatever was needed to get him off to the store for his taters. But that would not have been a very interesting youtube video I guess.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Some states don't allow the gun to be loaded, can you believe it? What good is a gun if it doesn't go boom. I once got stopped packing a shouldered 44 magnum 10 inch and was asked if it was loaded I say absolutely!

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. In Oklahoma upon first contact with an LEO you must state "I have a conceal carry license and am currently armed." She was stopped by a highway patrol on her way to work and when he got to her window she informed him of her CCL and that she did have a weapon in her vehicle. The state law reads that they don't really have the right to ask anything else about the gun, to see it, etc. They can ask to see your CCL. Anyway, the highway patrol responded "Is it loaded?" She said, "Wouldn't be much good if it wasn't, would it?" He shut up after that and processed whatever traffic reason he stopped her for, and didn't bother her anymore. (P.S. In her case he did have a valid reason to stop her. I think she may have been speeding a bit.)
edit on 8-11-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumJunkie
The problem with the video and the intention s of the man in it are a little suspect to me. I don't know many people that vid tape themselves going to get potatoes at the local market. I'm an avid supporter of our Constitutional rights and I have no problem with open carry. But this guy was told someone called about this man. Rights or no rights when cops roll up on a call you are still the man with a gun. When you open carry in places where there are plenty of people all it takes is one idiot anti gun person top make the call and they are going to respond to it. And if legal open carry is all you are trying to do then show the LEO an ID and let them and you get on their way. Being combative in this instance was just a waste of time.

I believe in this first video, if you rewatch it, he was not videoing UNTIL they approached him. It's pretty easy to turn the video of a cell phone on, wouldn't you think? After the 4th or 5th time of going through the same routine, I think I'd hit the record on my phone at that point.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by nighthawk1954

So if your breaching the freedoms of others, does it become a crime? I mean I'm not saying they should've detained him but if the majority of patrons didn't feel comfortable around the guy then he should've left.

edit on 10-8-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

No no no. If you are uncomfortable around someone who is carrying a pistol in a theater then it is you that should leave. If I was the responding officer I would explain to the people who called that the man has the RIGHT to carry the pistol and that if any of them feel uncomfortable with it then they should leave because he has just as much RIGHT as everyone else to be there.

I mean we can compare this to back in the day when blacks were being discriminated against even after they had all the RIGHTS of the white people.....

Picture your self a tall muscular black man walking into a theater in 1965 not long after the civil RIGHTS acts of 1964 was passed. You had the RIGHT to go into public places among the whites without being discriminated against.

As you walk in people stare, and many "feel uncomfortable" and "become alarmed". Three or more people call the police. The police come and arrest you for "breaching the peace". Would that be wrong?

There is not one bit of difference between this hypothetical situation and the situation in the OP, not one.

The RIGHT to carry is not WRONG.

Originally posted by : BrutalDictator-

His absolute right to carry outweighs the public's inferred right to "feel safe". Just as ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it, people's ignorance of other's rights doesn't criminalize them.

-Alien
edit on 8/11/2012 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Well how would you feel if you were harassed continually for doing something that is completely legal because of people's ignorance and irrational fear? How about Americans educate their self on the history of this country, the Constitution and stop being a bunch of stupid sheeple? How about that!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

What politicians control this cop's salary?

This is an election season, so make sure you let them know that you will hold them responsible!

It matters who you elect. If you vote for politicians, district attorneys, and judges who tolerate such actions then you deserve the kind of government that you get.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
Here's the thing, maybe for folks not from the US:

The right to bear arms is protected by the highest law of the land: The Constitution.

There is no right to not feel alarmed.

Violating a 'breaching the peace' statute would be a much lower law...state or local ordinance type thing. A constitutional right trumps such an arbitrary rule.

Quite true!

Using the logic of "not feeling alarmed" and "breaching the peace" to other parts of the Bill of Rights shows how silly and dangerous it is.

1st Amendment
Should we arrest politicians who use their freedom of speech to scare senior citizens talking about Social Security cuts or even calling reductions in the rate of increase a "cut"?

Should we arrest Mormon missionaries or Jehovah's Witnesses if they make us feel uncomfortable by knocking on our doors or walking around our neighborhoods?

3rd Amendment
Should we arrest your neighbor if he rents to a soldier and that makes you uncomfortable?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Poor guy has been stopped multiple times for obeying the law. Hopefully this video will make it to the local police dept so they can leave him alone.

I feel sorry for his neighbors, who don't know their own state law and state constitution. True the dispatcher should have informed the caller(s) that it is legal to open carry, but they didn't. Wonder how many times he gets stopped now after the two 'mass' shootings.

OffTopic - wonder how things would be now if the F&F scheme didn't get public and stricter gun laws were put in place.... (Hint: They would be worse - look at all the stats on robberies that were foiled from legally carry citizens, now imagine those robberies with the victim staying the victim)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join