It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Science Laboratory / MSL / Curiosity rover - your questions answered.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by SpittinTruth

how you going to keep those fruit and veggies fresh for longer than a few days?
edit on 9-8-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

A smart farmer, would have seasonal fruits and veggies. If farming is all we did, believe me.....THERE WOULD BE PLENTY!!!!!!!!

*sigh*
Seasonal fruits and veggies grown during a Canadian long winter...
What a concept.

At least I don't have to live in an igloo

I'm grateful for whoever "created" glass, metals, home heating, etc

What was the topic again? Oh, yeah, Mars.
At least it gives mankind something big to do. We need challenge in our life to evolve. Now if I could only figure out how to grow food in the winter without use of a greenhouse and grow lights....

No, life started in 1960. We are SPECIAL. Pfft, at least that's what we think. Ooooh the arrogance. Pride always comes before the fall. Yeah, let's see what SPACE has to offer. I can't wait to see how mankind "advances" by collecting dust and rocks, and taking pictures in HD. ewwwwwww i'm sooo excited!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
>>
We are the only people in the universe....because God made it so!
>>

This is the result if people are ignorant. No further comments needed.

link   

I think Yoda says it best my friend.

It's maybe time to take a breather and drop some of that anger, its bad for your health.

Do you have anything useful to add to the thread about the new mars lander, I showed you some colour pics earlier, what did you think?

link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Yeah if someone gets cancer science is there the help. It's not full proof. It's a learning process. Something that it's fundamental to science. We take baby steps to learn things. Cancer cures is getting better. Meanwhile... cancers cured by chatting with the invisible guy in the sky: 0.

Cancer is getting better???? on what planet? And, who chats with an "invisible guy in the sky". Is that what "Curiosity" is "curious" about. Are they looking for God??? If so, let me stop them from wasting 2 Billion dollars; and inform them, God can be found, in the HEART of man. Heaven is not a tangible place. hahahhahaha Oh science, learn you something.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And to add something to the OP:

Instruments

Major Instruments

Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer (APXS)
ChemCam
ChemMin
Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons (DAN)
HazCam
MastCam
Mars Descent Imager (MARDI)
Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI)
NavCam
Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD)
Rover Environmental Monitoring Station (REMS):
Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM)

The general analysis strategy begins with high resolution cameras to look for features of interest. If a particular surface is of interest, Curiosity can vaporize a small portion of it with an infrared laser and examine the resulting spectra signature to query the rock's elemental composition. If that signature intrigues, the rover will use its long arm to swing over a microscope and an X-ray spectrometer to take a closer look. If the specimen warrants further analysis, Curiosity can drill into the boulder and deliver a powdered sample to the analytical laboratory (SAM) inside the rover. The highly sensitive SAM analyser has a limit of 74 sample cups.

Cameras: Curiosity has seventeen cameras overall.
MastCam, MAHLI, and MARDI cameras were developed by Malin Space Science Systems and they all share common design components, such as on-board electronic imaging processing boxes, 1600×1200 CCDs, and a RGB Bayer pattern filter.
MastCam: This system provides multiple spectra and true color imaging with two cameras.
Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI): This system consists of a camera mounted to a robotic arm on the rover, used to acquire microscopic images of rock and soil.
MSL Mars Descent Imager (MARDI): During the descent to the Martian surface, MARDI acquired color images at 1600×1200 pixels with a 1.3-millisecond exposure time starting at distances of about 3.7 km to near 5 meters from the ground.
ChemCam: ChemCam is a suite of remote sensing instruments, including the first laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) system to be used for planetary science and a remote micro-imager (RMI).
Alpha-particle X-ray spectrometer (APXS): This device can irradiate samples with alpha particles and map the spectra of X-rays that are re-emitted for determining the elemental composition of samples.
CheMin: CheMin is the Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence instrument.
Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM): The SAM instrument suite will analyze organics and gases from both atmospheric and solid samples.

MSL's cruise stage on Earth
Radiation assessment detector (RAD): This instrument was the first of ten MSL instruments to be turned on. Both en route and on the planet's surface, it will characterize the broad spectrum of radiation encountered in the Martian environment. Turned on after launch, it recorded several radiation spikes caused by the Sun.[49]
Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons (DAN): A pulsed neutron source and detector for measuring hydrogen or ice and water at or near the Martian surface.
Rover environmental monitoring station (REMS): Meteorological package and an ultraviolet sensor provided by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.
MSL entry descent and landing instrumentation (MEDLI): The MEDLI project's main objective is to measure aerothermal environments, sub-surface heat shield material response, vehicle orientation, and atmospheric density for the atmospheric entry through the sensible atmosphere down to heat shield separation of the Mars Science Laboratory entry vehicle The MEDLI instrumentation suite was installed in the heatshield of the MSL entry vehicle. The acquired data will support future Mars missions by providing measured atmospheric data to validate Mars atmosphere models and clarify the lander design margins on future Mars missions. MEDLI instrumentation consists of three main subsystems: MEDLI Integrated Sensor Plugs (MISP), Mars Entry Atmospheric Data System (MEADS) and the Sensor Support Electronics (SSE).
Hazard avoidance cameras (Hazcams): The rover has two pairs of black and white navigation cameras (Hazcams) located on its four corners.
Navigation cameras (Navcams): The rover uses a pair of black and white navigation cameras mounted on the mast to support ground navigation.

SOURCE
(if all those acronyms didn't excite you, I don't care for you
)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

Don't let me start breaking out youtube videos. I might BURST your bubble!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I like it how you conviniently left out the word "cures" to suit your reply. And no curiosity is not about chatting with invisible guys, what you are on about is.
Also care to source that where does it say that god only created humans into the universe?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Thanks for that, an interesting read, I used to work in a darkroom many years ago using an antiquated camera half the size of the rover!!
The tech is just awesome.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Theres not a single bubble you can burst my friend, I live in the real world, I added Yoda to chill you out, so you could maybe reflect on your posting at the mo', ya seem to be ranting and not adding much to the thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS OBLIVIOUS.

edit on 8/9/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

LOOKS DELICIOUS. Do you think it tastes like chicken? hahahahahahahahahaha I'm soooooooooo impressed. Let's take it to the I.C.U. and encourage some of their dying patients that "Curiosity" is searching for a cure! WooooooooHoooooooo I wish my mom were alive to see the advancement.

This is about a robotic mission to another planet, to study the creation and evolution of our solar system, to study the geological history of Mars, to learn more about how our planets were formed, and, IF we are lucky, to find evidence of a warmer and wetter prehistoric Mars, where life may have rose on it's own.
I don't know what you are talking about with the "cure". And I share and understand your feelings about your mom.
Have a nice life!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

I like it how you conviniently left out the word "cures" to suit your reply. And no curiosity is not about chatting with invisible guys, what you are on about is.
Also care to source that where does it say that god only created humans into the universe?

Nah, what i'm on about......if you read PROPERLY, has nothing to do with 'GOD' and everything to do with our mentality and priorities. We waste, waste, waste! Want not, waste not!

My other beef is that MANKIND has become complacent....and that can be a very DANGEROUS thing. What i'm on about is the fact that WE believe everything the system tells us...because "they" would neeeeeeever lie to us. What i'm on about, is the fact that people like you are so GUILLABLE, they actually believe their 'religion'. You serve 'their' god, so keep on keeping on. Earth still remains: Seed time and Harvest and you dont need a rocket scientist to figure it out. Where was 'science' during this year's drought, that has yet to be felt?

BTW.....what time is the Olympics on? I'm clueless. I haven't watched any of it because i stopped watching that BRAINWASHING BOX, years ago. I got better things to do with my life, than to be lied to!!!! Believe the lies, if you want....that's on Y.O.U.!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus

LOOKS DELICIOUS. Do you think it tastes like chicken? hahahahahahahahahaha I'm soooooooooo impressed. Let's take it to the I.C.U. and encourage some of their dying patients that "Curiosity" is searching for a cure! WooooooooHoooooooo I wish my mom were alive to see the advancement.

This is about a robotic mission to another planet, to study the creation and evolution of our solar system, to study the geological history of Mars, to learn more about how our planets were formed, and, IF we are lucky, to find evidence of a warmer and wetter prehistoric Mars, where life may have rose on it's own.
I don't know what you are talking about with the "cure". And I share and understand your feelings about your mom.
Have a nice life!

Who cares HOW it started??? I'm worred about how it's gonna end. Therein LIES the problem. You are more worried about the start, and i'm deeply concerned about the finish. We act like 'Curiosity' is gonna change something on this planet. I mean, really...what is the point? Mars isn't even close to being like Earth...so, how is any of the discoveries made, going to help THIS PLANET.

Have a nice life? Not with these lunatics running our planet. Their agenda is running smooth and according to plan. Plans that have been made over a very long period of time. Thousands of years.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
More chewie stuff:
*** Last pics coming from freaking mars (we are still in the testing and evaluating phase, where we check that all instruments are a-ok and nothing was screwed during descent)

-----

-----

Aaaand, the first panorama!

This is the first 360-degree panorama in color of the Gale Crater landing site taken by NASA's Curiosity rover. The panorama was made from thumbnail versions of images taken by the Mast Camera. Scientists will be taking a closer look at several splotches in the foreground that appear gray. These areas show the effects of the descent stage's rocket engines blasting the ground. What appeared as a dark strip of dunes in previous, black-and-white pictures from Curiosity can also be seen along the top of this mosaic, but the color images also reveal additional shades of reddish brown around the dunes, likely indicating different textures or materials. The images were taken late Aug. 8 PDT (Aug. 9 EDT) by the 34-millimeter Mast Camera. This panorama mosaic was made of 130 images of 144 by 144 pixels each. Selected full frames from this panorama, which are 1,200 by 1,200 pixels each, are expected to be transmitted to Earth later. The images in this panorama were brightened in the processing. Mars only receives half the sunlight Earth does and this image was taken in the late Martian afternoon.

Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

What things like this do is give human kind a goal, something to bring us together rather than people like you who divide us with religious nonsence.
I do agree, we can be wasteful in western countries and most parts of the world but by bringing humanity together into space we will over come human-kinds differences and help boost its similarties.
If any kind of fossilized microbial life or even life found on mars could help show that life could be abudant in the universe or even elsewhere in the solar system.

You seem to be very narrow minded for some one in the science forum?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Who cares HOW it started??? I'm worred about how it's gonna end. Therein LIES the problem. You are more worried about the start, and i'm deeply concerned about the finish. We act like 'Curiosity' is gonna change something on this planet. I mean, really...what is the point? Mars isn't even close to being like Earth...so, how is any of the discoveries made, going to help THIS PLANET.

Have a nice life? Not with these lunatics running our planet. Their agenda is running smooth and according to plan. Plans that have been made over a very long period of time. Thousands of years.

Well, I do care about how it started, for what is worth. Many people care.
I also care about the present.
I also care about where are we going.
I am not an unidimensional dude, I have the amazing ability to care about multiple things, yay!
And knowledge is knowledge, what we do with it is up to us.
And the lunatics "running our planet" are few, we are legion and we are going to win, eventually.
Don't despair my friend.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

I've been glued to nasa tv for the last few days, thanks for posting the pics.

Yesterday they stated that it was warmer than they thought it would be, it could alter the times the rover is run, but the other side of the coin was it would help the motors on things like the arm warm up quicker. I can't wait to hear that it's moving.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Nah, what i'm on about......if you read PROPERLY, has nothing to do with 'GOD' and everything to do with our mentality and priorities.

...Get a grip already. Earth IS A SPECIAL place! We are the only people in the universe....because God made it so! I'm not sure why people have a hard time ACCEPTING that??? There is NO LIFE ON MARS, or anywhere else. The only life forms, in this universe, resides on this planet...

Oh dear, I made a booboo.
Also if you think I believe everything I've been told then you're sadly mistaken. I'm a die hard skeptik.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

An honest question.
You have an issue with science as a whole it seems. You also use the word "cancer" repeatedly.
How would you feel about science if science found a cure for cancer?

*apologies for this off topic post, remove if deemed necessary*

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join