It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Science Laboratory / MSL / Curiosity rover - your questions answered.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
In light of the number of threads and posts regarding the landing of Curiosity on Mars, it is painfully evident the main cause of the problems some people have with anything from purpose of the mission to "why are the pics B&W and crappy" are due to the lack of a proper explanation of the rovers purpose and it's mission timeline. A good summary that goes into a little more depth than your average tabloids pretty pictures is the Landing Press Kit available here:

marsmobile.jpl.nasa.gov...

I suggest anyone interested in the mission starts by reading this. I also especially recommend anyone with a strong and angry opinion reads this, as you may find your thoughts and feelings were based on a lack of information or misunderstanding all along..

Enjoy..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

I wouldn't bet on many heads or opinions being turned by such informative articles. Some people want to be angry and want NASA to fail in their objectives, such is their misplaced, ill-informed and irrational hatred of all things government.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NoExpert

No I know, its a very sad state of mind. The motivation of 99% of the people involved in these missions isn't political and most are equally frustrated with the Government, for budget cuts if nothing else!
But at least it gives those with a genuine lack of understanding a chance to better themselves, those who simply have inadequacy issues or a hatred that has grown to destroy common sense and rationality are a self destructing waste of time anyway.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
B&W photos aside, my biggest problem with this mission is the WASTE! Too bad we don't have the same kind of enthusiasm on this planet; or for the people that live on it. We don't have a problem looking for life on other planets, but let's turn a blind eye, to the lives on this planet.

NO! We don't have money to help feed the hungry. We don't have the money to build up the infrastructures. We don't have money to find a cure for cancer. But hey, looky here, found 2 Billion dollars laying around. Let's spend it looking for something that doesn't exist!!!

Get a grip already. Earth IS A SPECIAL place! We are the only people in the universe....because God made it so! I'm not sure why people have a hard time ACCEPTING that??? There is NO LIFE ON MARS, or anywhere else. The only life forms, in this universe, resides on this planet. Therefore, can we PLEASE take care of this planet, before we become like Mars???

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This mission is going to yield som AMAZING pictures (I hope)...
Mars is a fascinating place...

So is our moon...
And I am still trying to Understand why this Administration killed our return mission to the Moon...

Our future is in the the stars and I would much rather see my hard earned tax money go towards getting MEN in space than towards Union pensions...

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Ahhh how telling! You almost sound like someone whose faith is threatened....

From the financial aspect, its really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things and the technological developments on this mission and others do benefit mankind... Did you not read the PDF? You might also find this site useful in understanding:

spinoff.nasa.gov...

Surely evil man made money isn't needed with your god watching over people anyway, being all powerful and all that...?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Getting people interested in science, especially the younger generations, encourages more people to take up a science career. The more scientists there are, the more likely we will find the cure for cancer.

As I said in another thread, the money to solve world poverty is already there. It lines the bank accounts of corrupt third world country politicians. Throwing good money after bad is not the solution.
edit on 9-8-2012 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth
B&W photos aside, my biggest problem with this mission is the WASTE! Too bad we don't have the same kind of enthusiasm on this planet; or for the people that live on it. We don't have a problem looking for life on other planets, but let's turn a blind eye, to the lives on this planet.

NO! We don't have money to help feed the hungry. We don't have the money to build up the infrastructures. We don't have money to find a cure for cancer. But hey, looky here, found 2 Billion dollars laying around. Let's spend it looking for something that doesn't exist!!!

Get a grip already. Earth IS A SPECIAL place! We are the only people in the universe....because God made it so! I'm not sure why people have a hard time ACCEPTING that??? There is NO LIFE ON MARS, or anywhere else. The only life forms, in this universe, resides on this planet. Therefore, can we PLEASE take care of this planet, before we become like Mars???

The scientific pursuits of space exploration and curing cancer are not mutually exclusive. The problem with your argument regarding the money being potentially better spent on disease cures or feeding the hungry is that it has far reaching implications. For instance, remember the last chocolate bar you purchased? What a waste of money, you didn't need that at all. The money would have been better spent donating to a charity to help feed Africans who are starving! The same argument could be applied to the purchase of a new television, refrigerator or sofa. The problem with diverting all resources to ironing out inequality is that instead of bringing people up to our level you will end up bringing us down.

Of course there is also the fact that had hunter gatherers devoted all their time to ensuring that other tribes had something to eat fire wouldn't have been mastered, tools wouldn't have been perfected and all in likelihood we would still be running around a heavily forested Europe hunting deer.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

From the financial aspect, its really not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things and the technological developments on this mission and others do benefit mankind... Did you not read the PDF? You might also find this site useful in understanding:

spinoff.nasa.gov...

Surely evil man made money isn't needed with your god watching over people anyway, being all powerful and all that...?

Based on your post to star ratio....you're not saying much, 1st. 2nd, if i "almost" sound like something, DON'T ASSUME.

Now, please, do tell me, HOW has science 'benefited' us? I seem to be confused. Last time i checked, science doesn't make the sun shine. Science doesn't make the seeds grow. Science doesn't produce fruit from those seeds. So, HOW again, does science "benefit" us??? Are you telling me, without science and technology, we wouldn't exist? Do you think we would be bored?

On the contrary, my friend! Science is making things worse!!!! Our morals, values, standard of living is NOT better because we have Androids, and cars with tracking devices. YOU ARE FOOLISH in your thinking! The only thing that is needed, on this planet....for you and me, has been PROVIDED for! It's called SEED TIME and HARVEST. Real WORK!

Save all that other non-sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by NoExpert

The scientific pursuits of space exploration and curing cancer are not mutually exclusive.

Really??? So, the cure is in space? Ooooooh...ok.
The only thing in space, is mankind's BRAIN. Cancer is on the RISE...and has no intention of being stopped. It's all part of the GRAND SCHEME. Keep feeding their agenda; and at the same time.....stop complaining about how screwed up our world is.

Why is what's OUT THERE soooooooooo damn important???? Please EXPLAIN to me. I'm IGNORANT!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

spinoff.nasa.gov...

Based on your post to star ratio....you're not saying much, 1st. 2nd, if i "almost" sound like something, DON'T ASSUME.

Now, please, do tell me, HOW has science 'benefited' us? I seem to be confused. Last time i checked, science doesn't make the sun shine. Science doesn't make the seeds grow. Science doesn't produce fruit from those seeds. So, HOW again, does science "benefit" us??? Are you telling me, without science and technology, we wouldn't exist? Do you think we would be bored?

On the contrary, my friend! Science is making things worse!!!! Our morals, values, standard of living is NOT better because we have Androids, and cars with tracking devices. YOU ARE FOOLISH in your thinking! The only thing that is needed, on this planet....for you and me, has been PROVIDED for! It's called SEED TIME and HARVEST. Real WORK!

Save all that other non-sense.

Gotta love people that use the internet to preach against science!

Without science *you* would probably have died during child birth. Without science, it would be impossible to feed 7 billion people.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

We don't have money to find a cure for cancer

Who's to say MSL won't find some microbe on Mars that cures cancer?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Without science *you* would probably have died during child birth. Without science, it would be impossible to feed 7 billion people.
reply to post by BagBing

REALLY? So, how many died, before science became the all mighty savior? How would science have saved me??? And, let me do this
...to your last statement: "Without science, it would be impossible to feed 7 billion people." I would loooooooove to hear how this would get accomplished, with science. Monsanto??? hahahaha I thought i was stupid. Here, take my trophy. I AM NOT WORTHY!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Why is what's OUT THERE soooooooooo damn important???? Please EXPLAIN to me. I'm IGNORANT!

You said it... Trying to explain anything to someone so angry and irrational is a waste of time..

As for my 'star to post ratio' however that's supposed to be relevant, there was no star system in my early years here when the vast majority of my posts were made. I spent many years until recently not even viewing the board because I could feel my brain rotting away reading the raging unintellectual muck being posted by people like you.
My initial desire to help people while learning myself eventually gave way after years of perserverance to resentment and lack of caring thanks to the endless, mindless tirade of abuse and ignorant remarks from nasty, aggressive little people such as yourself. The sad thing is I know scientists and engineers who work on projects like this who still manage to maintain their religious beliefs. I think they see it as a way to get closer to and understanding god, its not my thing so I don't know. Such a shame your faith isn't strong enough, I'm not sure what faith you follow as I'm unaware of any that promote the level of aggressiveness you exhibit?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

We don't have money to find a cure for cancer

Who's to say MSL won't find some microbe on Mars that cures cancer?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So, cancer came from space? Everything on this planet, came from this planet. The cure is on THIS PLANET. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I SERIOUSLY DOUBT, we've turned over every rock, and looked through every nook and cranny. Not even with all mighty "science". Man, i wonder how they survived, back in the days BEFORE science.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Without science and technology, ATS member SpittinTruth would not be able to participate in this discussion about Curiosity.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Everything on this planet, came from this planet.

Actually, everything on this planet came from space.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

You said it... Trying to explain anything to someone so angry and irrational is a waste of time..

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, SHAME ON ME!!! We're waaaaaaaay past "shame"....and well into TRAGEDY! You need not waste your time, trying to win a debate. YOU WONT WIN! Science has been a COMPLETE FAILURE. We still pay for what's free: ELECTRICITY. So, stick your "science" in the nearest socket! REAL "science" is for THEM, not me and you. But, i'll play the fool. You think i'm angry. You should be pretty angry too; angry with all the LIES!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Everything on this planet, came from this planet

Of over 53000 meteorites that have been found on Earth, 99 were identified as martian

Source

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap

Everything on this planet, came from this planet.

Actually, everything on this planet came from space.

I'll play along with the "technical" game. Actually, everything on this planet...was CREATED. Get over it already. Science makes not a difference on this planet. Earth is a planet of (GET THIS) SEED TIME and HARVEST. Nothing...and i mean NOTHING, not even science, can change that. IT IS SO! Like it, or not. I DARE YOU...with your science...to stop nature, from doing what nature is going to do: PRODUCE! Science has got nothing to do with (GET THIS) REPRODUCTION!

Do you people see through the eyes of REALITY....or is everything just an ILLUSION to you????

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join