It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flawless second day on Mars for Curiosity, high-res pic (including R/B 3D)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I need to ask , did you bother to research that topic for your self , or did you simply make up your mind already and ask the question as a means to be little the whole mission ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I am all for space exploration; but with the economy the way it is; I think 2 billion dollars could have been put to better more practical uses right now. I think they should have waited a while longer; when the economy is more stable; and then sent Curiosity to Mars.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

I need to ask , did you bother to research that topic for your self , or did you simply make up your mind already and ask the question as a means to be little the whole mission ?

You give her too much credit... she read another pro-creation website, I assume.

The naysayers are getting a little bit tedious with the same ol' feed the world crap. Harsh? Yes. true? Yes.
edit on 9-8-2012 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Well just between you and me , we will never pay back what we ow , so if we are going to spend the money on something , it might as well be space exploration / R&D .

After all , it's the one thing that could potentialy get us out of the mess we are in .

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BagBing

As I have stated in 2 other posts; I am all for space exploration; I just think the timing of it is bad right now; the 2 billion dollars could have been put to better use right now; and the space exploration could have waited a while.

As for looking at some sort of creation website; that I DID NOT do

And as far as "feeding the world" goes; yes I care about all of humanity; and it is my hope and prayer that someday everyone will be feed. You are tired of this attitude; so be it.

edit on 9-8-2012 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I am not saying to stop space exploration; but I do think it could have waited a few more years; until our economy is straightened out.

The amount spent on the MSL is a tiny portion of what is already spent on "helping". To put it into perspective, food stamps are $89 billion for one year.

edit on 8/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Ok , you realize this project was started before we got into much of this economica mess and there for money was already put up for this project , right ?

And out of curiosity ( nice one I know ) what would you have spent the 2bil on ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Then I appologise.

But, how do you expect the human condition to improve without science? Lest us not forget that *all* of science is intertwined. A discovery here aids a discovery there.

If the $ figures bother you, then first complain to your local elected representative. Perhaps they will agree to help with military funding reductions?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ok...everyone go ahead and flame me! I stand by what I have said. I will not argue with any of you.

Nor will I respond anymore in this thread; I have said all I am going to say on this subject...move on.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by Seremela

How about taking away all the different bonuses from all the banksters and push in the money into projects like this.

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us? Why are we so fascinated with life on other planets; and care so little about life on this one? The same people that start wars, are the same people that runs NASA. So, how does this benefit you and me???

I could only imagine what life would be like, if we used all this technology to enhance our lives. Instead of going to mars, how about we find a cure for cancer????

Your narrow view of the scope of reality is made oh so apparent from this one post alone.

Q: And then what?
A: And then these missions inspire our youth and provide important data and information to help us better understand this universe what we call our reality.

Q: Will this help planet Earth???
A: Yes, yes it will.

Q: How is this mission benefitting us?
A: Well I've already mentioned inspiration and data, and a practical use of that data is to develop a better understanding of the way planets are formed and sustained. The earth exist in the same reality as mars, and this provides bits and pieces to another side of the equation. By better understanding things like this we can draw conclusions in the realm of physics and make extraordinary accomplishments. The space age and cold war brought you the majority of the technologies you take for granted. Satellites make cell phones possible and many of the materials synthesized in that era are used in all sorts of electronics today.

Q: Why are we so fascinated with life on other planets; and care so little about life on this one?
A: This question is like asking " Why are we so fascinated with the Universe we live within? " It is all one reality the science that is applicable there is applicable here as well. And speak for yourself, I care deeply about the life on this planet ( even you ) and strive to make tomorrow a better day for generations to come. Also, literally trillions of dollars are spent in medical research and innovating new forms of energy in an attempt to better the quality of life. With those numbers, it is clear this planet's life is more important to the majority than space exploration.

Statement: The same people that start wars, are the same people that runs NASA.
Response: Not true, the same people that start wars are the ones that fund NASA. The engineers and scientist are the ones who run it and make it happen, and the two often have disputes. en.wikipedia.org...

Q: So, how does this benefit you and me???
A: Re-read this post until it sinks in.

Statement that is illogical, followed by a question that shows a lack of knowledge about cancer: I could only imagine what life would be like, if we used all this technology to enhance our lives. Instead of going to mars, how about we find a cure for cancer????
Response: The same technologies that are going to detect different minerals in the soil on mars are also used to detect differences in body chemistry to alert doctors of possible cancer. And cancer is not one disease, but many different diseases with similar characteristics. We have in fact cured some forms and greatly increased the life expectancy for people with other types of it. Since it is not just one disease, but a group of many different kinds, this will take time.

Was I thorough enough for you? Or do you have some more questions you would like to ask?
edit on 9-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: formatting

edit on 9-8-2012 by twistedlogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Ok , you realize this project was started before we got into much of this economica mess and there for money was already put up for this project , right ?

And out of curiosity ( nice one I know ) what would you have spent the 2bil on ?

It's not like you just had 2 billion laying around, you had to borrow that money from China in order to build your little probe.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Ok...everyone go ahead and flame me! I stand by what I have said. I will not argue with any of you.

Nor will I respond anymore in this thread; I have said all I am going to say on this subject...move on.

Don't leave this thread... your input is as valid as anyones. Surely, discourse that leads to differing opinions is better than no discourse at all?
edit on 9-8-2012 by BagBing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

Nice , another little research topic to put to myth busters , assuming you are even interested in finding the truth ....

Ready ? Ok here we go !

What percent of publicly held US debt does the amairican people hold and what percent of US debt does China hold ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BagBing

Agreed

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
what I really dont understand quite well is that....

Why put a 2.5 billion rover the size of a Compact Car with all type of devices into a 96 -/+ Mile Crater

where something else with alot less cost could do the Same

a Giiant Rover just for Soil Sampling for detecting if ther was Possible Life
as it was the main Theme

why Not Put This Rover ,, like somewhere near at the poles where ther may be life
mosly Flora ...

or the Famed Cydonia Site or the Inca City Site

Or maybe they have ..

as the goverment alway keeps things in twos for spares

I have just read my news paper

Tile :
Rover Photos display Mars terrain resembling Earth Desert

it said scientist claim the Curiosity has shown images like the Mojave Desert on Earth..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

I agree, being stupid is great!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BagBing

I didn't type that... for the record...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The color pics look cool.

How soon 'til it gets rolling? That's when we'll know everything is working. (Not to mention I'd also like to see where they "parked" the sky-crane bit after separation.)

Also looks like they'd never run out of the clay needed for the infield, if there are future Mars colonists which are into baseball. At least from a visual appearance, the soil looks remarkably similar. From the texture it looks like something that packs and holds moisture in the same way, not just an identical match in color. (If anyone ever colonizes Mars, having grass on the outfield would be the hard part.)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Would someone please explain to me; why we sent (curiosity) to Mars? What are the purposes of this?

How will any of this help mankind on earth?

OK, sorry for sounding bland, but how about one day Mars can be colonized? I know, I know...

But look, they no longer make planets, so each one you find and manage to settle... is pretty priceless, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I keep hoping they will image a fossil at some point. But I think its doubtful. We didn't have complex life on earth until around 600 million years ago during the Cambrian explosion. For all the time before that, life was pretty much microscopic one celled organisms. So if the two planets followed a similar evolution, Mars will only have produced possibly something like stromatolites by the time the planet lost most of its atmosphere and water. That being said, its certainly possible a hardier form of life may have evolved there and there could still be some beasties living there, something radiation proof with antifreeze in its circulatory system, It would really be cool to see some animal lumbering around on the surface. Or plants growing. Still havent given up hope.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join