It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Once and Future Wisdom Gospel of Thomas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Lachlen French has written some wonderful books. Among them is his newest one, wherein he tells us all about the history and meaning of The Gospel of Thomas and its true meaning. How this discovery reveals that the bible that has been handed down is a corrupted version of Truth.

Lachlen's explains how and why these lost Gospels were hidden in the first place.

He tells us how Roman Government usurped and corrupted the message of Jesus in order to keep their power.

This is a message for today, as governments and authoritarian religions struggle to keep their positions of power. The Gospel of Thomas holds the keys to our freedom and teaches how to make it through the days ahead.

Lachlen explains who Jesus really was, his being raised in the teaching of the Essenes.

We learn why Jesus message had to be 're-worked' by the powerful authorities of Rome.

Lachlen shows us that the original meaning of Jesus message was metaphysical and quantum.

We see why the religion we call 'christianity' seems to be missing the mark; the people were lead astray from the Real Light of Truth which is that the Power is within each of us, as individuals, Here as I.

That God is not the big ruler on the clouds but rather The Ineffable All in all ---that the Light of Truth our Inheritance and is really within us.

You can read the real message of our own freedom and liberation from false authority that Jesus was teaching. .

Lachlen is giving the books as free gift download on pdf.

You can find it here:

www.booksinthelight.com...

There is also another book there, you will see called "Secrets of the Ages". You can have that one for free, at this time. I am not sure how long he will offer these as gifts.

Enjoy, Sweet Mystery

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sweetmystery

Gospel of Thomas... My namesake right there, so you know it's going to be good!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The reworking of Jesus' message is the gnostic books. Rome wasn't always corrupt, it took hundreds of years before the inmates were running the asylum. The Septuagint and Textus Receptus were what was salvaged and by Peter Waldo and the Waldensies when the Papacy began editing and re-arranging the gospel to portray Mary as being the Savior when the Savior is Yahweh/Jesus.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
nice!!! this is right down my ally!!! s&f for you and a bid thank you!

ive been saying that the romans hijacked the christianity myth on ats forever!!!
alway attacked by 'religious' people!
WE ARE GOD!!!!
as bob marley put it so well - 'mighty god is living man'!!!
thanx for the link,i'm going there now!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

"Almighty God is a living man"..

You've misinterpreted this. Believe it or not, this verse is referring to Haile Selassie being THE living God. Marley and gang believe that God is Haile Selassie.

"Haile Selassie is revered as the returned messiah of the Bible, God incarnate,"

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hey Thanks all of you too!

As to when the Romans took over and altered the words of Jesus, this books says pretty much what you say--it was about 300 years after Jesus.

The Roman society had become really violent and perverse, and those who believed in what Jesus had taught were becoming a "party to contend with"---so, yes, that is when the Roman Rulers decided that if you can't fight them, join them---and found a way to re-write the words of Jesus.

But, yes, you are correct, this tyranny of Jesus words took a long time to get set in place and become all this pomp and circumstance with (false) Authorities and Popes and Kings and now authoritarian religions and over oppressive governments.

All the rest of the controlling and immoral and disgraceful shenanigans just fell into place along the way for lack of True Understanding or our Real Identity i.e, being one with God's Eternal Presence and Divine Intelligence, Already, Right Here and Right Now.

It comes down to Now we must Rediscover our the Truth of Who we Really Are ---The Keys that are within each of us we can find Now.

Others who thrive on power and control have tried to keep the Truth hidden from us.

We are finding It and we are on the Dawn of the New Day.

Good going guys!!

[

edit on 8-8-2012 by Sweetmystery because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I concur. Between the writings of the apostate Paul (aka Saul of Tarsus and mysteriously referred to as the Apostle Paul) and the machinations of the Emperor Pope Constantine much has been lost of Jesus' teachings.

The great thing about the Gospel of Thomas (sometimes referred to as "doubting Thomas") is that he among all the apostles actually seems to "get it" when Jesus speaks metaphorically. Thomas asked questions, sought clarification - "challenged" Jesus to be more clear. He's my favorite of the gospels along with Mary Magdelene.

ganjoa

p.s. yes I'm an avowed atheist and don't "believe in" the bible - not its' editorialized canonized content - I DO allow the possibility that Jesus was a real person.....

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sweetmystery

Even Matthew preach the same below. The bible as a whole have become a divide and conquerer scripture that is preaching duality and ego while saying it is preaching openmindedness and love and most people cannot see thru the manipulation and cant let go of their indoctrination. If the manipulation was not so diabolical in nature then I would admire the cleverness that they used to confuse us.

Matthew 25:31-46

New International Version (NIV)

The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
p.s. yes I'm an avowed atheist and don't "believe in" the bible - not its' editorialized canonized content - I DO allow the possibility that Jesus was a real person.....

Yeah, even an atheist like myself can get a little behind the teaching of somebody who says that "God" is an incomprehensible concept and you shouldn't let it affect your daily lives, and that while this world is a horror we should at least try to be nice to each other to minimize that horror as much as possible while we're here.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Downloaded.

I enjoyed watching The Gospel of Thomas on the history channel, so this should be a good read I hope.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by ganjoa

Yeah, even an atheist like myself can get a little behind the teaching of somebody who says that "God" is an incomprehensible concept and you shouldn't let it affect your daily lives, and that while this world is a horror we should at least try to be nice to each other to minimize that horror as much as possible while we're here.

Nice! Yes, and when we add to this the latest things Quantum Physics is uncovering (how strange, entangled and marvelous the entire universe really is) The ideas that God is without form, without time and 'outside' of matter or that God is what everything is, a sort of invisible Isness manifesting Its Self as all that is----errr or something like that---

All this Truth, how ever we there, is exploding the old concepts. That we no longer accept anything we are being told is a big halleluha!

All this sharing through instant communication with millions just might make it possible for us to find the Truth about what really is and who, how and what we really are.

At least we have opened the doors and Light is streaming in. I am sure we will find the Truth when we come out of the dark and wake up.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Some people like to say that The Gnostics changed things and added their own books, but that doesn't change the fact that The Gospel of Thomas may have been the earliest gospel, although some try to date it as a later date to justify their belief systems...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
First let me say that Im not a Christian. I have a great interest in Christianity though, and later in life I read Thomas... and was blown away. If this book was more widely read and accepted.. it would turn the empire on its nose. It would take the "organized" out of organized religion concerning Christianity.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh, my. The Gospel of Thomas, which is 114 sayings of Jesus, has been rewritten into a 100 page spiritual guide? Can't wait to wade through this thing, though I doubt I'll have a favourable view.

First red flag is his references to "experts" in the Preface, who endorse this guy's unorthodox claims about Thomas, but who are never named. There are, in fact, no sources at all, apart from other ancient texts, so his conflict with the historical record is not surprising.

But I'll give it a shot. Lord knows I love the Gnostics, lol.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Some people like to say that The Gnostics changed things and added their own books, but that doesn't change the fact that The Gospel of Thomas may have been the earliest gospel, although some try to date it as a later date to justify their belief systems...

Actually, the Gospel of Thomas contains some things that likely pre-date the Biblical Gospels, but most of it is Gnostic sayings that reflects a form of Gnostic Christianity that didn't exist prior to the mid Second Century, so it is impossible to have existed in its current form as early as you believe.

Here's a thread that I wrote in 2011 on the problem of Thomas:

Early Christian Heresy: Document Forgery and the Problem of The Gospel of Thomas

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by arpgme

Actually, the Gospel of Thomas contains some things that likely pre-date the Biblical Gospels, but most of it is Gnostic sayings that reflects a form of Gnostic Christianity that didn't exist prior to the mid Second Century, so it is impossible to have existed in its current form as early as you believe.

Here's a thread that I wrote in 2011 on the problem of Thomas:

Early Christian Heresy: Document Forgery and the Problem of The Gospel of Thomas

When you read this guys book, you will see that he says this same thing you say; that a lot of what Jesus taught and much of his sayings were from earlier teachings. He mentions the names of the earlier books. He gives us some really interesting insights on the history of Jesus and those times.

I think you will like his work. Let us know what you think after you read it.

The important point is that we all start to realize that the Bible as it is, and the religions that stem from it are not really following the teachings of Jesus. Just that point alone could do a whole lot of good.

No matter who is right, it is obvious that any teaching, religious or political that professes controlling others in any way, is not a good thing.

And seeing that gives me much hope for our awakening to real understanding.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Christ taught about a personal experience of God www.biblegateway.com... . That message was dangerous because it upset the bureaucracy. If God is within and everyone can attain enlightenment then why do we need Popes, Kings, Nobility.....
Therefore Christ's message had to be stamped out.It was replaced by the doctrine of obedience, blind faith in authority and fear of punishment. Christ's message of spiritual liberation became its opposite, the goal became to be the perfect slave.
The Gnostic gospels are the true message of Christ before his message was co-opted and perverted by the elite for their own greedy purposes.
edit on 8-8-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wittgenstein
Christ taught about a personal experience of God www.biblegateway.com... . That message was dangerous because it upset the bureaucracy. If God is within and everyone can attain enlightenment then why do we need Popes, Kings, Nobility.....
Therefore Christ's message had to be stamped out.It was replaced by the doctrine of obedience, blind faith in authority and fear of punishment. Christ's message of spiritual liberation became its opposite, the goal became to be the perfect slave.
The Gnostic gospels are the true message of Christ before his message was co-opted and perverted by the elite for their own greedy purposes.
edit on 8-8-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

Beautiful!! Excellent and well said! Perhaps we are getting there. It feels like it, even though the world seems just as confused and stuck as ever--- I can feel the kind of a Dawn coming. It is just very near the horizon now.

As more and more begin to 'get it' and do find it within, then there will be a New Day, and Heaven on earth---I think it is destined, but it's going to take everyone of us sharing what we know in our Heart. We have to find the ways to give bravely what we have found so other might glean this Truth also.

Information internet exchanges certainly makes the exchange and passing the message around a lot easier now-a-day.

Oh, and I will check out the Bible Gateway.

Love the way you have stated it so clearly here. Thank you

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Here are my thoughts on this text. As I said, I suspect you're not going to like it.

Summary:

Objections:

The author shows in numerous places total ignorance of history, theology and philosophy, which makes his claims of an accurate read of The Gospel of Thomas highly unlikely.

For example:

It is said that more than 95+ percent of the world's population did not hear we found this new gospel, among 45 other Christian documents in a earthen jar in 1945, where it had lain buried, hidden for nearly 2,000 years in sand, close to Yeshua's country. This indicates other gospels existed alongside those four gospels that were placed in Emperor Constantine's Roman Bible 400 years later, in 381 CE (Common Era).

In this partial paragraph, we have a host of errors. The claim that 95+ percent of people don't know about Nag Hammadi isn't sourced, and I'm guessing that he just made the number up. There are not 45 "Christian" documents, they are a variety of viewpoints, though most are "Gnostic Christian". They were most likely buried around 400AD, so 2,000 years is a bit much, and the following sentence makes it clear that he wants you to think that these texts were buried at the time of Christ, which they clearly were not. And, finally, only those who get their history from Dan Brown novels think that Emperor Constantine had ANYTHING to do with deciding what books would be in the Bible.

Some other "oopsies"

1) Jesus is said to be an Essene, which he was not. He neither lived like them, nor acted like them
2) Jesus is said to have been crucified at age 38, though Luke says he started his ministry around the age of 30 (Luke 3:23), and John says that it lasted three years, so he was either 33, or close to it, when he died
3) The Gospel of Thomas is self-attributed to "Didymos Judas Thomas", which the author claims was "one of the sons of Joseph and Mary and one of Jesus' 12 apostles", though there is no outside affirmation of this. Jesus had an apostle named Jude, who was said to be Jesus' "brother" (interpretations of that term vary), but is not Jesus' twin, which is what the "Didymos" and "Thomas" in that name imply
4) The author seems unaware of the fact that "Thomas" presents a Gnostic view that would be post-Valentinus, dating the text to mid-Second Century, not contemporary to Christ
5) You know the "Holy spirit" that is referred to over and over in the Bible? That's just referring to breathing, not anything to do with God. More on that in a minute.

However, one of the biggest errors that the author makes is in not recognizing (or intentionally hiding) the fact that Nag Hammadi is a Gnostic library. He seems to think that he can reconcile Jewish theology (the Essenes) with Platonic philosophy and derived religion (the Gnostic Christians) when they are absolutely incompatible.

This, however, was the gobstopper for me:

This Deep Breath exercise can be used to burn out colds, flu, asthma, even cancer and addictions, particularly smoking which actually decreases the benefit of the Holy Breath within our lungs by clogging them up, reducing their effectiveness significantly. By practicing this new spiritual technology, we can burn out the tar and nicotine, as well as other impurities such as heavy metals, smog, pesticides etc., as well as any proclivity to cancer that could be there waiting to rise up.

Good grief, I don't even know where to start with this.

I didn't get to the "translation" of the 114 sayings of Christ (of which maybe 1/3 are actually things he might actually have said - I point you again to my earlier post on the problem of Thomas) found in Thomas into 100 pages of text before I just gave up on this demonstrably error laden… um… work. Just the notion of claiming that Thomas and the rest of Nag Hammadi were Jewish texts is absolutely ridiculous, never mind the New Age goofiness and "doing breathing exercises to cure cancer" stuff.

As Blackadder says in that clip… utter crap.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

As Blackadder says in that clip… utter crap.

-Well, think what you like---and you are pretty funny with your video---

And to each his own opinion on these things. No one really was there, so who knows.

I too heard that the Gospels and Jesus teachings were from the Gnostics. That makes sense too. It seems that both the Gnostics and the Essenes were saying that the Light of Truth and Divine Intelligence is within us. That God is not a big man on a cloud, but an Ineffable Isness without beginning and without end---Something that has no form or name but is Absolute and Real.

No matter what they called themselves, apparently the teachers of enlightenment in those days knew that the men who ruled were not God (or gods)---The knew that God was First and Immutable and they knew that what was Holy was not found in the government. I think that is a great message.

Teaching that there is Something Ineffable that we can only understand through our own personal insight and experience seems a very good message. No matter who they called themselves.

It's the Spirit of the thing that matters, the message of Liberation, not so much about the footnotes and where the words came from. The Gospel of Thomas dose exist, it is a historic treasure, it does have a mystical message and It is full of much metaphysical meaning, which seems closer to Reality than the more literal and re-worked bible of today that religions use to control their flocks by creating fear and guilt.

Which, so does the government do the same thing. It's nice that there are so many waking up to all this. And If this book and hopefully many others come along to help wake us up, then more power to them.

Well, as I say, for me, it is a wonderful book and I appreciate that he is sharing it.

But, I do also appreciate your comments and your view point. You have studied all this and I have not. I thank you for your opposing views. I find them very interesting as well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join