It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African Snow Record

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
There's some good pictures on the bbc news website of the snowfall, take a look, prettycool. www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff187

Thank you very much. On my way to have a look

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Nice thread and AWESOME pictures !!!

Here in Montreal, the weather this summer has been warmer than normal. The humidity index has been through the roof for longer periods of time than I can remember. Climate change is worldwide and still there are folks that believe that all is normal. It hasn't been normal for quite some time...

Thank you for the pics, through this heat here, they are refreshing...

And the lion pic is worth a thousand words !!!

S&F.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Just a side note to 'climate change' Auckland, New Zealand, had, for the first time in 75 years, snow last year, right after that terrible earth quake,

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Oh, it is refreshing, but I doubt us Saffers would be able to handle this weather, not even for a month

Just had a look now and I see black clouds coming in from the west. Thus far no snow today and nothing predicted. Would swop weather with you in one or two more days

@pike, I doubt that would happen here. Our quakes are tiny, and less common than tornadoes
Touch wood!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I enjoyed your pictures of the snow and countryside,

especially enjoyed the pic of the lion, thanks for sharing. Also, that's a lot of land mass to be snowed on in one day, pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Your lion picture is incredible.
I have been in Joburg few years back, and I can not imagine snow there!
It was so nice , in January...
Nice OP.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames

Taken at the Johannesburg Zoo

This photo says it all for me, as it is looking up and wondering what the stuff is!

Living in Phoenix, AZ, and having taken public transportation home in 115 degree heat, it was refreshing to see snow somewhere in the world, because Arizona in the summertime makes you forget that.

The pictures are beautiful, even if it's odd. Hopefully nobody is losing there temper over it like what I experienced today on my way home. Some woman got in my face just seconds before the bus pulled up accusing me of trying to make the moves on her boyfriend. Thank God the bus pulled up when it did, because I was hot and pissed off already.

I honestly was ready to punch this woman out!

These pictures were exactly what I needed to cool off my hot head after my experience today! Thanks!

edit on 8-8-2012 by Sulie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Great photos! We can still enjoy these awesome animal's...In various parts of the planet!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Amazing, snowing in most parts of SA
Here in WA we have had a slight increase in the sea temperature on our coast and more tropical pelagic fish have come further down the coast. The wind in summer has dropped off a bit as well, the induction from the cold water isnt as severe so it stays hotter in summer. Though I cant ever ever imagine snow in West Oz

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thank you for your pictures!
I'm glad you're getting to enjoy your snow. I know that I was pretty sad this winter because we didn't have a lot of snow here in Kentucky.

Don't pay attention to the people who put your thread down. YOU know what's extreme in Johannesburg since you are from there, after all.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by KaelemJames

Here in Montreal, the weather this summer has been warmer than normal. The humidity index has been through the roof for longer periods of time than I can remember. Climate change is worldwide and still there are folks that believe that all is normal. It hasn't been normal for quite some time...
S&F.

BUT Climate Change IS Normal...Nothing is out of the ordinary!!!!

Summer is Hot, Winter is Cold....thats it.

The Earth will eventually return to an Ice age, then it will warm up again.

The Sun changes seasons every 10 years, AND is growing larger every day.

The Continents are Still moving, the Earth is still "Growing"

Just because Man came along doesnt mean the Earth and Universe Has Stopped.

Just live your life with as little impact as possible, to your Planet.

Then you can Die happy....and stop complaining, just live with the Earth Not Against the Earth.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Just a side note to 'climate change' Auckland, New Zealand, had, for the first time in 75 years, snow last year, right after that terrible earth quake,

the quake in Christchurch I presume you mean - that you didn't dfeelin Auckland?

So are you saying the climate is jsut hte same as it was 75 years ago??

And what about befoer then? when did weather start to be recorded in auckland - some time around 1840? how often did it snow there before then??

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

I am with ya in the Heat! Im in Yuma, AZ the ass crack of the desert. I love this pic with the lion. He's like uh, wet, cold, i can dig it.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Nice thread OP.

I recall that last year already there was a thread about the heavy snowfall, and truck drivers were stuck by the snow in parts of SA, but to have snow in Johannesburg is really special.

Pity we can't have Christmas now.

It would have saved us all the fake Styrofoam snow and people sweating in their Santa outfits in December.
If these snowy winters are becoming more regular perhaps we should start a movement to move Christmas to the start of August.
It would also feel more in line with all the snowy American Christmas movies and songs.
edit on 8-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Well count me in with the group that didn't know it snowed in South Africa.

That's so cool that all of you were able to enjoy what looks like a good bit of snow. It doesn't snow often in the part of Texas where I'm at, but every once in a while it will do more than sleet. It actually snowed over a foot on Christmas a few years ago, but I was stuck in a car trying to go and see relatives on the other side of the state. Some bozo thought it'd be a great idea to shut down the highway. Goodness me, where they wrong.

I say everyone should stop the hostilities and climate change talk and all of that and just enjoy the beautiful pictures.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Did not know that so many would appreciate the photos. Thank you guys for all your kind replies

Today it is sunny, one would never say we had snow. Like a total reversal of the weather. Guess that's Africa.

For those who think that snowfall is normal for us, it is not. For the most of South Africa during Winter time it is sunny, no rainfall at all. It can get very cold at night, but overall our temperature in Winter is really great in the daytime, and we see more sun than some might think. What we call here our "Winter Sun". We love our Winter Sun in South Africa.

Over the years (except for 2007, 2011 and this year) i have never seen seen snow in Winter. In 1981 when we had, what i would say was our biggest snowfall ever, it was Spring. When it did snow in 2007 it was during the early morning hours while most were sleeping. In 2011 only certain parts of Johannesburg had snowfall, but it was a whiteout in Kwazulu Natal, same as this year. Natal has been hit severely the last couple of years.

Thank you again, to all, for your kind replies

Love & blessings.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Snow IS extremely rare in South Africa. I lived at the foot of a mountain outside Ceres for many years, and experienced occasional snow on the mountain-top once or twice every winter. But snow further afield than the tops of the highest mountains and the Drakensberg is an absolute rarity.

BTW - I'm north of Cape Town, and the winter here has been very mild and most magnificent! It is such a beautiful sunshine day today. But boy - have we had rain this winter! We've had about twice our yearly average, with another 60mm forecast for the next week! Better get my paddle-ski ready
The Namaqualand is definitely going to see one of its most awesome flower seasons ever!

S+F - loved the photos.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lovizall
Your lion picture is incredible.
I have been in Joburg few years back, and I can not imagine snow there!
It was so nice , in January...
Nice OP.

FYI- January is the summer in the southern hemisphere.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

Winter overall has been extremely mild in JHB, too. We have had our chilly days, but i cannot complain. Some have said it was colder than 2011, but, i do not agree. We have had an "awesome" Winter in Gauteng, with some tornadoes and snow, of course

Great to see another Saffer on ATS

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join