It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Plot Thickens. Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

There is no irony here. The OP clearly states that a fashionable tool is being used to deduce whether someone is stable or not. I personally don't care for FB. I know what the masses think of ATS. We know differently though, don't we?

CJ
edit on 9-8-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

Be prepared to battle wits with sir Reginald Snodgrass the 3rd. I realize the fact that this report will be dismissed by Reggie though as it conflicts with his business class views.

CJ

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
All I ever used facebook for was to share my views on global topics. I'd link an article and put my opinion out there.

I don't need to worry about getting a "normal" job, and was taking an active stance against any authority.

Never thought twice about it until recently.

Pretty much reached a state of apathy where I think there isn't hope for "waking up" the average individual.

I tried for years, and all it got me was a lot of funny looks, and...that's about it

So I decided it wasn't worth standing up for a people who were obviously too retarded to help their selves.

I deactivated recently.

Don't plan on going back.
edit on 9-8-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Once I stopped using it I realized quickly I was missing nothing. Zero. Nada. There is no reason to have to be "connected" in such a way. Many people I know do it - I don't begrudge them - but I do think it is an interesting social experiment. Great way to drum up support for things like KONY.

CJ

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Be prepared to battle wits with sir Reginald Snodgrass the 3rd. I realize the fact that this report will be dismissed by Reggie though as it conflicts with his business class views.

CJ

Actually my last post came off i think a little more harsh than i intended. I wasn't intending to imply he's a narcissist, just there were correlations, and an over all higher % of likelihood. And basically, its the same as saying those without facebook are psychopaths. Studies may suggest connections & links to this and that but i like to judge people on an individual basis, on things such as character, integrity, compassion, sense of humor, intelligence etc. Not whether or not they use facebook. Unless they were using it in an innovative way somehow, or if they were a dickhead on it all the time. (is that word allowed btw? I don't see it censored, so i'm going to assume fair play, mods let me know if the case is otherwise)

Reginald Snodgrass the 3rd i like that hahaha nice.

edit on 9-8-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Have I read 1984? Sweet smoking Jebus. Is there an educated person who hasn't?

You may have read it but you evidently were reading it from the opposite POV from what most people were reading from. Most people found it incredibly disturbing. And you obviously are a collectivist. You're entirely too upset for someone who didn't take it personally.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six
Who comes up with this crap.

In my opinion the only people who HAVE a facebook account are

1) Pedophiles
2) Obnoxious people who think far to much of themselves
3) People who are just plain creepy and like to spy on others
4) Companies - trying to CON more people into buying their useless crap
5) DIRTY scum government people
6) The piece of crap Mark crappenburg and all the other below par humans who run facebook.
7) Most people on FACEbook are child molesters..END OF...

Argue against that......I dont use Facebook because im NOT a PEDOPHILE......

I guess if I have to pick one to describe myself it will be number 3.

Come on now! I opened a facebook account in 2008 and its still active. I read someone say they don't buy the whole "talking with family miles away" thing but honestly.. I have family all over the world and its how we talk.
Like it or not.

My privacy settings are the highest, and while I was dumb and used my real info to open the account.. I use no apps, post miminal pictures and don't put out personal information.
Facebook to me is a place I can go and see what my friends and family are up to, see their pics and message them all in the same place.

Do I waver between shutting down the account every other day? Yes. But I hate using phones, they are cold and impersonal. I always prefered writing letters (and later emails).

I have some friends that aren't on facebook, but many that are. I was never a popular person and facebook certainly hasn't changed that. I'm not striving to be cool or think that I am cool. Its simply a tool for communication.

I don't have any deep attachment for the thing, but there are plenty of intelligent and people with open minds who use it as a tool. A lot of people here are pretty, if I may, "hipster" about their dislike for facebook. Don't like it? Continue to not use it, but don't act like we are all ignorant sheeple.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Your conversational skills are outstanding.

You're making me blush.

Why would I not hire someone who doesn't own a gadget I don't have myself?

Originally posted by Colorado Jens
So you only hire people who own gadgets that you own

Kindly explain, if you can, how the second statement follows from the first.

You base others' value on whether they are active on FB or not.

Now explain how you came to this extraordinary conclusion.

I would hope you would know the difference between being pressured and forced.

You are welcome to explain what you think the difference is. However, my point was that most people embrace Facebook voluntarily. The 'societal pressure' you cite is a figment of your imagination.

In my view, if you dont wear specific brands of clothing it shows that you are not inclined to be successful at work. See how dumb it is you say the same of another marketable product? Sheesh, you really are not that smart are you?

There are specific reasons, listed earlier, that make Facebook a reliable source of insight into a user's character, behaviour and personality. This is clearly recognised by advertisers and market researchers, who use data from the site to profile and classify consumers.

The clothes a person wears also give clues of this kind. Since the 1980s, clothing brands have been consciously turned into marks of wearer self-identification and affiliation. And even non-lifestyle brands make statements about their users. Advertisers, marketers and media firms spend millions researching these statements, and make billions out of the insights they glean from them. The proposition is not so dumb as it seems to you.

Ah, the poet and his/her words..."befriended"...please go on. Do you include the dog you "befriended" walking down the street as one of your friends? Of course you do.

It takes a little more than that. Frankly, I would advise you not to apply for the position.

Your linguistic style went the way of the stagecoach many years ago. And we ALL know when one has 251 friends on FB that they really have none in real life.

A fine sally. Rather than attempt a riposte, allow me to remind you that you have yet to engage any of my actual arguments; your responses so far have contained nothing but insults and farcical attempts to twist my words to suit your book. Since neither you nor anyone else has offered a single factual or rational counter to my arguments, they stand – thus far – unchallenged.

This thread is nothing but a big whistle for Facebook-haters to blow raspberries through. Plenty of resentment and prejudice from the opening post onward, but absolutely nothing of substance posted to justify it.

I am no partisan of Facebook; if I have defended it on this thread, it is because I was provoked by the small-minded, self-regarding nastiness displayed by so many of those who have posted here. Misanthropes with no charity or humour, putting down their own friends and associates while blaming their own shortcomings and social failures on a web site deserve all the kicking they get.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Facebook is just another fad is along string of fads that come and go in human history. So what! Let Facebook be itself and do whatever it needs to do to feed the hungry masses for their fad. It apart of the bread and circuses for today. It will have it time and pass and one day there will be something else.

At the end of the day face book its just a structure whcih allows interconnection between web pages. Its a case of being in rigght time, right place, with interested financial backers who have decided to use MZ as their flagship creator. It could of easily been anyone else who has the ability to create a connective structure for webpages, and im sure theres millions of people out their with that ability.

So no point in him getting a bighead about his success or becoming vocal about other issues as he has no greater insights than you or I on what constitutes anti social terroistic activities. He should just stick to running his company as they can fall as easily as they rise in dynamic competitive economies.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Runciter33

I have 251 friends on that site

www.cnn.com...

Do you have tons of Facebook friends and often update your status? If so, you may be a narcissist, a new study suggests. Research from Western Illinois University showed a link between the number of Facebook friends you have and how active you are on the site to the likelihood of being a "socially disruptive" narcissist...

Just saying. Not calling you names, but hey, it's a study with all the scientific rigors and peer reviewed journal qualifications and whathaveyou. And it's not the only one.

Is 251 friends a very large number? I understand the average is around 130, and some people I know (pretty girls, mostly) have hundreds and hundreds.

Anyway, as I pointed out earlier, all 251 of those Facebook friends are real friends (or relatives) of mine. I knew every one of them in real life before I contacted them on Facebook. If having a large social circle in real life makes me a narcissist, so be it.

Presumably the average Facebooker, with his or her 130 friends, is not a narcissist. The claim that people with large numbers of FB friends may be narcissists is unrelated to the question of whether or not people who dislike and avoid Facebook are socially maladept. And – as I said in my first post – all this talk of psychopaths is just tabloid nonsense.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Sounds a lot like what people used to say about the internet - it's a fad, it'll pass.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The narcissist thing is rubbish, I meet new people all the time, in real life and online. My friends list is around 420, This includes Family (close and distant relatives), Old school friends, College friends, People I have worked with (during many jobs) , people I currently work with, People from sites I use, Friends of friends, People I may want to work with. There are many people I see on there who I used to know who I haven't added. Maybe some people really are more social, some people use Facebook for different reasons too.

I think including all these factors its quite easy to see how some people have even bigger friends lists than mine, like being on the road all the time, running a business online or an offline business but using facebook to keep in contact, using to cheaply PM someone without the need of texting or calling.

Just my two cents

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

The claim that people with large numbers of FB friends may be narcissists is unrelated to the question of whether or not people who dislike and avoid Facebook are socially maladept. And – as I said in my first post – all this talk of psychopaths is just tabloid nonsense.

No, it isn't unrelated. Because narcissism is also to be socially "maladept". (which is not a word by the way)

It doesn't matter, i do not wish to continue exchanging with you in this thread, i feel i have said my peace. You are free to your opinion of course, as i am to mine.

edit on 11-8-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Not joining??? Not joining???

JOINING IT IS A SIGN YOUR A PSYCHOPATH!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Not joining??? Not joining???

JOINING IT IS A SIGN YOUR A PSYCHOPATH!!!

1 Billion Psychopaths and someone let them online!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I am a non facebooker...but i think i will soon make up a completely false account...then i will get some false friends...then i can live a false life...and i could then live my life in even more anonymity and all will be well and pristine in the world.
You see a true psychopath knows how to work the system...they know how to present themselves as someone they are not whether it be in real or in a virtual world...Now I truly am a psychopath.....I mean just read my posts....maybe one day people will be considered a psychopath if they do not have a ATS account...wouldn't that be a good thing.
It also show how the world of big money can manipulate the populous....Mark Zuckerburg is a Zionist PIG and Facebook is yet another Zionist medium to exert control on how people think and can be influenced ....yet another medium taken over by TPTB.

why not look at Facebook and twitter from this psychopaths point of view.

FACEBBOK?TWITTER

Zionists Control the Internet!

If you have wondered why Facebook, Twitter, Google, Dell, and Paypal dominate the internet, researching the founder and their Zionist relations may answer the question.
• Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz of Facebook
• Christopher Isaac “Biz” Stone co-founder of Twitter. Most sources give Jack Dorsey credit as the founder of Twitter, however Jack Dorsey is a co-founder.
• Larry Page and Sergey Brin, founders of Google
• Google also owns “Blogger” and YouTube
• Peter Thiel Founder of Paypal, and original founder for Facebook
• Michael Saul Dell, founder of Dell
• Larry Ellison, founder of Oracle
• Phillipe Kahn, founder of Borland.
• Steve Ballmer CEO of Microsoft.
• Bill Gates is of the 13 bloodlines of the Illuminati called the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line (Winsor)
• Robert Kevin Rose founder of Digg.com. Digg is rated among the 100 most popular sites on the web.
• Scott Blum founded Buy.com
• Rob Glaser found RealNetworks and Real Player

Source as above

Now once you have facebook...it is like a bad rash...very hard to get rid of without the right medication.....but the medicine can be prescribed and gotten hold of.

How to Delete Your Facebook Account:

Before you permanently delete your account, there is an option to download all of your data. I recommend doing that first, but it may take a few hours to complete. Once your download is done and you complete the deletion process. Be sure not to return to Facebook in any form for at least 14 days or your account will be transitioned from the Deletion queue to Deactivated status.

The links below will take you directly to the “Delete” account button, which is generally difficult to find (by design no doubt).

www.facebook.com...

www.facebook.com...

The Deactivation link is easy to find within your Account settings. That is FB’s preference because they’re “banking” on the expectation that you’ll be back.

The working of an alternative to Facebook: Altly

An informative site to browse: Inside Facebook

People really need to be aware of what they are involved with....the only real psychopaths are the ones running face book and twitter and such.....be informed and learn people...becuase you will get killed in your slumber not by the psychopaths....but by the ones calling you psychopaths.

Read more: adventofdeception.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Lets say everything you say is right but " Facebook is yet another Zionist medium to exert control on how people think and can be influenced" I disagree, My wall is full of meme's, pictures of people, kids, pets, food. Jokes of the day, Drama, keyboard warriorism. After all that very little in the way of changing my views on any subject let alone controlling me. It is a tool, hell you can post things and never even look at another persons wall.
If its a tool to control its failing miserably. People should actually infiltrate it rather than ignore it, actually learn what it is.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My facebook page is one big front. Nothing on it represents my true nature or feelings at all. I don't have too many friends on it and I don't go on it often but when I do it is usually just to talk to family. Only those who personally know me understand it. I have believed Facebook was a gov. surveilance program from the start so why not feed them full of BS. If someone is going to waste time checking my facebook out then I will lead them on wild goose chases and waste their time as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

I said i am a non facebooker...i did not say i never had an account....
I know how it works...but i know i do not use it as it has rights to everything you put up there...it owns your stuff...have you read its terms and conditions...

once you post on facebook you no longer own anything you post there...it is theirs....they own you and what you post...yes there are happy mems for all who post...but it also does destroy peoples lives...It is the streets and should always be treated as such....I ask you ....do you let strangers into your home to have people look at your kids....so why on this earth would one ever let strangers a look into your personal lives freely online...Does that makes sense to yourself.

I think it is a risky business for people to do that...and Facebook washes it's hands of all respoibility to anything that may happen as a result of what is posted....there are always responsible posters out there...and i would hope you yourself are one of those...but facebook has the right to use your stuff in anyway it deems fit...without any permission required from the user....people should be aware of this...It is important.

Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition: 1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
2. When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
3. When you use an application, the application may ask for your permission to access your content and information as well as content and information that others have shared with you. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, including how you can control what information other people may share with applications, read our Data Use Policy and Platform Page.)
4. When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
5. We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

does this sound like something you would like others to infiltrate.....I agree with the poster above.....put up fake stuff to protect yourself.
edit on 033131p://f03Saturday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Sure I don't go around giving the plans off my house. I have no kids, you say anything I post is theirs..
Then they must know a lot of jokes and seen plenty of cats in bread by now.
If it is the streets like you say then be street smart. I don't avoid the streets in the case of 'what if?' either.
I already know the supposed difficulty of deleting accounts, hell I don't even use my FULL name. You see
anyone who actually knows you, will recognise your picture and your nickame/christian name/surname.
Too much paranoia. And as for letting people in to my home, I Don't exactly live in a highly populated area.

Even if Facebook had a memory in the sense of databasing everyones opinions and statuses of what they said, it would be highly inaccurate. Its hard to read sarcasm when you don't know its sarcasm.

Looking at my page now, There is my Christian name,My photo is that of a devil, my top post is a joke, in the side bar it says I recently listened to Howard stern on my phone, and there is a picture of my Dog.

So tell me how is Facebook controlling me? If I had to be honest, whenever I see things say 'pro war vs Iran' You'd be surprised how many people are anti war, sure you get your people who believe "all ragheads should be shot" but you will also have many trying to open peoples eyes, isn't that the goal? opening peoples eyes and making them aware?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join