It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Plot Thickens. Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianFlanders
A web site is being used as peer pressure to try and force people to share private information with complete strangers.

(...)This is what Facebook is designed for. It is purpose-made to invade your privacy.

In what way are they FORCING people to share private information?
It only has whatever "power" you let it have.

I don't trust Facebook, but I won't become paranoid about it.

Everything is temporary anyways, when you die, having written that you just ate a sandwich on Facebook will be the least of your concerns

edit on 8-8-2012 by Cloudless because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Mark Zuckerberg apparently does. Believe me. This guy is not a privacy advocate by any stretch of the imagination. Does the term "Radical transparency" sound like a warm, fuzzy blanket to you? You may not think it's either/or but I assure you that the guy who runs that company does. And he hasn't made a secret out of what he believes and exactly how he feels about privacy. If you doubt me, do some digging on Google. You should at least know what you're talking about before you tell other people they're overreacting.
reply to post by BrianFlanders

I couldnt give a RATs what Zuckerberg thinks, he has absolutely 0 control over my life.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Fun party trick:

When you meet someone, and they say, "Ah man, you're a great guy, we should chat on facebook." Just pause a little.... look straight in their eyes, and say quietly.. "Or we can talk right now."

For some reason the conversation always ends right there.. haha, maybe we are psychos

edit on 8-8-2012 by adrift because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

The Daily Mail is for very stupid people. Its reportage is over-egged and sensationalistic, hence the asinine talk about psychopaths and mass murderers. The statements quoted from the body of the article are, however, quite accurate, apart from the booboo about Breivik.

It is probably true that if you are under 40 years old, own a computer with an internet connection and don't have a Facebook account, you have some kind of problem with social interaction. Certainly, all the people I know who fit the above description do have such problems, usually fairly mild ones. They are the sort of people who have trouble getting a date, aren't any fun at parties, dislike social interaction, lack humour or are simply 'comfortable with themselves'. They aren't psychopathic or autistic, by any stretch of the imagination, but they are definitely not very much fun to be around.

If I was working in advertising – my former profession – today, I would certainly think twice about hiring somebody who wasn't on Facebook. Young adults, especially before they marry, are among the most sociable people in the world. If someone in that demographic is not on Facebook, the implications are pretty clear.

It's common sense, really. You want to hire team players – people who get on easily with others, aren't solitary, touchy or aggressive, don't have problems with authority and are comfortable with the give and take of social interaction. Unless they're hiring for the post of lighthouse keeper, computer programmer or whatever it is that carlyv does for a living, employers don't want to hire loners. Neither do they want mavericks, drama queens or someone with an all-consuming obsession or affiliation that could cause a conflict of interest or loyalty.

Such discrimination might sound unfair to some, but from a business point of view it is right and sensible. Things have been that way since long before Facebook existed. Now that it is here, why shouldn't employers use it to make better hiring decisions? I believe they are right, as well as within their rights, to do so.

But what about the agony aunty who advised kids not to date anyone who isn't on Facebook? Well, I think she's right, too.

If there is one group in the world that is more sociable than young adults, it is their immediate juniors: older adolescents. And it is this group, more than any other, that Facebook seems to be made for.

For someone aged 15-19 not to have a Facebook account seems quite bizarre in this day and age. It clearly flags the individual as socially maladept and quite possibly maladjusted. If I had a daughter, I would certainly look askance at any Facebook-free swain who wanted to date my little flower.

In a male adolescent, the lack a Facebook account is very suspicious; it may betoken some unhealthy religious or other obsession, insufficient mental (or possibly physical
) development, or deep, indeed dangerous levels of mental disturbance. For adolescent females, it's even worse; not having a Facebook account is a clear sign that other girls hate you so much that the question of your own personal issues is almost irrelevant.

I don't expect many of you to agree with me. But if those members who took up the first few pages of this thread proudly adverting their imperviousness to Facebook were to be honest with themselves (not always an easy thing), they would probably admit that they are neither the world's most sociable people, nor the world's most socially adept. There's nothing wrong with that; frankly, I, too, can take society or leave it. Most of the time, I choose to take it, for the benefits it offers are immense – human beings did not evolve to live as solitaries – but there's no law that says anybody has to. You can always take the path less travelled; it's your right.

Just don't whine about what others think of you. You forfeited that right when you stopped thinking of them.

edit on 8/8/12 by Astyanax because: of skid-marks on the road less travelled.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudless

In what way are they FORCING people to share private information?

Click

OK. You tell me. What is Facebook for? What is the point of all those likes and stuff?

It only has whatever "power" you let it have.

For now. The future doesn't end when the sun sets today, does it?

I don't trust Facebook, but I won't become paranoid about it.

Good. I'm sure that's music to their ears.

Everything is temporary anyways, when you die, having written that you just ate a sandwich on Facebook will be the least of your concerns

Cute. But not really funny.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The Daily Mail is for very stupid people, so its reportage is over-egged and sensationalistic.

Nice. I am smart enough to realize you just called me stupid. Did you read the OP? Is Salon for stupid people too?

CJ

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Just don't whine about what others think of you. You forfeited that right when you stopped thinking of them.

Spoken like a true collectivist. You've forfeited most of your rights if you don't worship the hive.
edit on 8-8-2012 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

If I was working in advertising – my former profession – today, I would certainly think twice about hiring somebody who wasn't on Facebook. Young adults, especially before they marry, are among the most sociable people in the world. If someone in that demographic is not on Facebook, the implications are pretty clear.

And you speak of stupid people. "The implications are pretty clear"??? You are deluded.

CJ

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In responce to this I shut down my Facebook account, which I never use.
There must be something wrong with me.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

there are many websites you can use other than FB to stay in touch

lame stream media is your friend and you admit it, just bend over it wont hurt

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
My thoughts are that Facebook is on it's way out anyway, just give it time. I keep hearing suggestions that there be a membership fee, who knows if that will ever come, but it wouldn't come as any surprise. Not being on Facebook is probably a bit healthier than sharing your every emotion, video from youtube, purchase or gripe. Far too many intimate details get posted there. It makes you wonder the maturity of the posters. Then there's the member with 6,732 'Friends' ........yea right, like you ever communicate with them. Facebook has it's place, and it's an easy way to watch the events of your friends, but to say not having an account is a tendency to be a psychopath...... BS.... I'm sure the 'Docs' want you to think that, they have to have some platform to sell their snake oil, they do have mortgages to pay you know. They need some 'something' to purvey with their PHD's and titles. I'd say it's far healthier in the long run to avoid Facebook. Though it does make a good locator for old school mates or old loves from the past.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I am smart enough to realize you just called me stupid.

Is the Daily Mail your favourite newspaper, then? The only one you read? Do you take everything it says literally?

Are you not simply taking a general statement about a newspaper and applying it to yourself?

Did you read the OP?

Did you read my post? If you did, the answer to this question should be quite evident.

Is Salon for stupid people too?

You did not mention Salon in your opening post.

"The implications are pretty clear"??? You are deluded.

Can you explain how and why I am deluded? Is it merely because I don't see things as you do?

Do you disagree with any of the specific statements I made in my post, apart from the one about the Daily Mail? Would you like to discuss those?

reply to post by BrianFlanders

Spoken like a true collectivist.

Does disagreeing with almost everybody who has so far posted in this thread makes me a collectivist? Perhaps a non-conforming collectivist. Do you think such a creature exists?

From the point of view of someone who has set themselves apart from society, a reasonably well-integrated person may well look like a collectivist. All a matter of perspective, really.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
So if you don't use facebook you're 'suspicious'. Well in that case i had better be wary of my elderly grandparents, they might be psychopaths.

Facebook is just as effective as having a barcode stamped on your skin. It's a program that can track your Age, history, location, marital status, employment record, hobbies, activities and conversations. It's how we ended up with targeted advertising, tailored for each individuals interests.

Now I would classify that as 'suspicious'.

Agreed

its set-up by the victims themselves
the perfect slave system is one setup by its slaves without the slaves realising it

one guy claims he cant keep up with friends without it, like no email or phone will work lol

edit on 8-8-2012 by canyouhandletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianFlanders

Originally posted by TheGreazel
So if they cant spy on you you are a Treath to your government

The stupid part is they can already spy on anyone they want at any time. It's been in the news multiple times that they can get your records from your ISP or cell phone provider with very little effort. Of course it says they can only see where the messages were sent and received but we all know that's a big, fat lie. And I'm sure the spying is much more extensive than that even. What more could they possibly want? I'm sure the Facebook thing is just one more data mining project from which they can extract more information about people to be manipulated and massaged and analyzed looking for "suspicious patterns".

True True , i live in the Netherlands , The netherlands is dot on this planet but its government is gold medal winner in phone taps , we have about the same phone tap statistics as the States , only we have 15 miljon inhabitans and the states around 300 miljon.

i can find little intel about tapping statistics after 2010 , here is an website that has statistics from 08
www.shortnews.com...

26.425 taps where conducted in 08 , rounded our population number up to 16.000.000 , around 1 of 600 ppl have or has been tapped

If i made any errors with placing the link , feel free to point it out for me , im a new poster

TheGreazel

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
the main thing is DONT USE A GOOD PHOTO OF YOUR FACE

the video surveillance grid when its combined with FB database WILL FIND YOU ANYWHERE on the camera grid

consider using a foreign FB as they are independent atm

or just find other websites like FB

If you do close FB ac delete photo's and upload another photo

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by adrift

Well said. Social etiquette is a dying art, people are forgetting how to talk to each other on a personal basis. I enjoy a beer with my neighbours and they aren't on facebook, and i wouldn't classify them as suspicious or as psychopaths.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

It is important to understand the difference between Privacy and Anonymity. In order to bank on-line, order a prescription, or even buy a fifth of liquor, I have to relinquish some of my privacy, i.e., substantiate who I am. However, with the ever increasing amount of cameras in public areas, it is hard to remain anonymous. When at all possible, I pay cash and keep my sunglasses on. What's next? A scarf? Female Muslim dress?

As far as Twitter and Facebook? Never had an account and never will. It's like a giant scrapbook. Nothing I have to say is all that important that the entire world needs to know.

Yes, the implanted microchip is coming. The movie "Idiocracy" hit the nail on the head. Progressive Auto Insurance is heavily marketing what amounts to a "black box" for the car. Corporations are willing to give a discount if you'll sign up for their "rewards" program (just please give us your email!!) HIPAA was just an excuse to make one's medical (and payment) history available across the board, but a pain in the neck for us.

Think back to the 80's. How often were you required to show your I.D.? Buying booze or cigarettes? Yes. At the doctor's office? Hell, no!

Yeah, Big Brother is here. He's just 25 years late and WAY over budget

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The idea of gathering to share information is undeniably beneficial
reply to post by coven83

It's not beneficial information of course, and you don't need facebook to share it either.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HEYJOSE
What if I have a fake facebook profile or even a hundred of them? I guess then I'd be pretty awesome then huh? (Sorry, "Brilliant" for you Brits) What about the bona fide Bots on facebook? Facebook is a joke, a trip down the ego-centric lane of make believe ego masturbation. Why willingly give away all of your personal info to the NSA? At least make them work a "little" bit for it!

You might get banned. Lol!

www.squidoo.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Does disagreeing with almost everybody who has so far posted in this thread makes me a collectivist?

Do you think most people would rather fit in on ATS or on Facebook?

From the point of view of someone who has set themselves apart from society, a reasonably well-integrated person may well look like a collectivist. All a matter of perspective, really.

I don't think it's a matter of perspective. I think it's right on.

I am not living out in the weeds. I'm just not filling the rest of the planet in on it through a silly web site every time I take a dump. I have chosen to back away slightly from a society that has decided to form this creepy thought police like attitude and try to bully people into participating in "social media". Because I think THAT is what is "suspicious" and sinister.

I don't think you're reasonably well-integrated if you think there's something wrong with or suspicious about anyone who isn't on Facebook. I think you're brainwashed. This is exactly what they want us to do. To turn on one another and start accusing each other and being suspicious of everyone. Have you read 1984? It's exactly the same concept.
edit on 8-8-2012 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join