It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Chemotherapy can backfire and boost cancer growth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
hi all...

well this is an interesting turn of events... i have to say that im not surprised by this.

Cancer-busting chemotherapy can cause damage to healthy cells, which triggers them to secrete a protein that sustains tumor growth and resistance to further treatment, a study said Sunday.

They tested the effects of a type of chemotherapy on tissue collected from men with prostate cancer, and found “evidence of DNA damage” in healthy cells after treatment, the scientists wrote in Nature Medicine.

Chemotherapy works by inhibiting reproduction of fast-dividing cells such as those found in tumors.

“WNT16B, when secreted, would interact with nearby tumour cells and cause them to grow, invade, and importantly, resist subsequent therapy,” said Nelson.

www.rawstory.com...

so basically, chemotherapy is actually helping the cancer to grow and kill a person.... hm, how with all the monies spent on cancer research had they not found this sooner...? did they not think to test these things beforehand...?

imho i have never believed that chemo actually helps, and that it makes you sicker... and now that seems to be the case.
personally i think that people who have survived cancer have healed themselves...
they are fighting for their lives. all the posters, campaigns etc have the words; Fight Against Cancer.

a friend of mine a 21 year old guy died recently from cancer... he had been given 6 weeks and the doctors told him that he should take part in a new experimental drug - alongside chemotherapy... he didnt even last the 6 weeks....... imho i think this 'experimental drug' and the chemo killed him. its too much for the body to handle.
the body is already sick, and is then made sicker by these 'miracle' treatments.... BS imo.....

its almost like a personal battle between mind and body... more research should be done into investigating the 'placebo' effect. the human mind is a powerful thing, and if we can learn to heal ourselves... well, wouldnt that make the world a better, happier place... i believe this could be possible.

peace fluff x

edit on 6-8-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hey, I read this in the paper this morning,

So not surprising,

I watched a documentary some time last year that stated Chemo had a ridiclously low success rate, like 9% (Maybe), my memories a bit foggy,

But I was thinking, like OMG, if that was anything else, it wouldn't be made available with those god damn statistics, not to mention the cases that aren't succesful, the patients condition is worsened by the treatment.

I always said I would refuse it if I fell ill with the Big C, id maybe move to some where remote and try natural remedies...that we know they know of!!
edit on 6-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Many have said for years that this approach to cancer made no sense. Now, they are discovering that to be actualy true.

I wonder how many lives were needlessly shortened or lost because of it?

Meanwhile, the establishment does everything in its power to ensure alternatives are not fully explored.

Lovely system we have.

edit on 6-8-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

I watched a documentary some time last year that stated Chemo had a ridiclously low success rate, like 9

Totally depends on the cancer, stage etc.

The problem is, there is nothing better, and it is better than nothing. Note the study said "chemotherapy can backfire", not that it always does, this doesn't really tell us anything especially new or surprising. It is certainly not proof we should stop using it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Oh, and cue BS about miracle cures involving cannabis or berries or *insert unproven method* here...
edit on 6-8-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim
Oh, and cue BS about miracle cures involving cannabis or berries or *insert unproven method* here...

Oh I totally agree. Radiation, carcinogenic drugs and blind obedience are the way to go!

/sarcasm=off

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Oh I totally agree. Radiation, carcinogenic drugs and blind obedience are the way to go!

/sarcasm=off

Take the blind obedience away, remove the sarcasm line, and you're correct!

Until we find something better, anyway, and I'm looking forward to that day as much as you are, I'm just not inserting BS alternatives while I wait for something that is actually shown to be more effective.

Nah, we're much better off with unproven pseudo-science and plain nonsense about fighting a vicious disease with fruit and recreational drugs.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

jesus thats low... i wonder if people who are undergoing chemo or are about too, know about these statistics..?

it seems crazy that they are constantly investing in new chemo techniques, when it clearly isnt doing anyone any good..!

yeah i agree, if i were fall ill to cancer there is n way i would let myself get put through the horror of chemo...

to be honest i'd much rather die a more dignified death. i'd try all the alternative methods first, and i would try to meditate with myself, listen to my body and let it tell me what it needs, or what i need to do....

and if all that failed, well i would just simply accept the fact that i am to die...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

a ridiculous number i would think... like my poor friend. he didnt even want ANY treatment... he just wanted to carry on with his life which he was incredibly happy with, and he had said; well if i die, then clearly it wasnt meant to be.
but the doctors 'strongly advised and recommended' i.e. basically forced him to try the new 'experimental' drug alongside chemo. pressure from his family didnt help either.

i have no evidence, but im pretty damn sure all that killed him.... rip tom

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
There are no "alternative methods". Until something is proved to work, it is not a method.

Likewise, there is no alternative medicine. There is medicine proven to work, and then there is BS touted as a cure.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by loam

a ridiculous number i would think... like my poor friend. he didnt even want ANY treatment... he just wanted to carry on with his life which he was incredibly happy with, and he had said; well if i die, then clearly it wasnt meant to be.
but the doctors 'strongly advised and recommended' i.e. basically forced him to try the new 'experimental' drug alongside chemo. pressure from his family didnt help either.

i have no evidence, but im pretty damn sure all that killed him.... rip tom

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I watched a documentary some time last year that stated Chemo had a ridiclously low success rate, like 9

The problem is, there is nothing better, and it is better than nothing. Note the study said "chemotherapy can backfire", not that it always does, this doesn't really tell us anything especially new or surprising. It is certainly not proof we should stop using it.

Better than nothing....

But what about the instances where its not succesfull, and instead is detrimental?

As it usually is.
Witnessed it first hand numerous times, trust me, I'd litterally bet my life on skipping it.

And what that plant that helps fight cancer that China have banned from exportation??

Garr, I never remember anything!

I dont think this is the same one, but heres something along those lines:

www.i-sis.org.uk...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

I feel its very ignnorant to say there are no alternatives.

There are many cancer survivors out there that swear blind, alternative, natural methods helped them.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

first of all it aint BS.....

look at this
www.dailymail.co.uk...

and this too;

Cell membranes in the body are naturally equipped with these cannabinoid receptors which, when activated by cannabinoids and various other nutritive substances, protect cells against viruses, harmful bacteria, cancer, and other malignancies.

www.naturalnews.com...

so even though our bodies are already equipped for receiving these nutritive substances, you still think its all BS...?????? can you not see that nature provides us with everything....???

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

have a read and do some research, you may find you're lacking key data.

www.cancer.gov...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Better than nothing....

But about the instances where its not succesfull, and instead is detrimental?

As it usually is.
Witnessed it first hand numerous times, trust me, I'd litterally bet my life on skipping it.

And what that plant that helps fight cancer that China have banned from exportation??

Garr, I never remember anything!

You want me to "trust you"? That's not a good argument. You need to compare chemo against nothing, statistically to see whether it has an affect better than nothing, for each of the specific cancers, and stages, and then take an individualized approach to decide whether it will be beneficial or not.

Chemotherapy is close to useless in many cases, but is highly effective in others. In some cases, refusing chemo just makes sense, in others, it's signing a death sentence.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007

first of all it aint BS.....

look at this
www.dailymail.co.uk...

and this too;

Cell membranes in the body are naturally equipped with these cannabinoid receptors which, when activated by cannabinoids and various other nutritive substances, protect cells against viruses, harmful bacteria, cancer, and other malignancies.

www.naturalnews.com...

so even though our bodies are already equipped for receiving these nutritive substances, you still think its all BS...?????? can you not see that nature provides us with everything....???

The key word is cure. Diet changes and cannabis are not CURES, as they are touted, at very best they are beneficial. Not smoking is beneficial to avoiding cancer too, but you wouldn't call not smoking a cancer cure, would you?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

www.cancer.gov...

Saying something has "Anti-tumor effects" is not the same as saying it is a cure, or anything like an actual treatment for cancer by itself, and certainly doesn't prove effectiveness above mainstream medicines.

Again and again, these are not "cures".

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

www.cancer.gov...

By the way, humans are not mice. An "anti-tumor" effect in mice is not even close to a cancer "cure" in humans.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Not you "trust me" literally, its a figure of speach.

And my point exactly, Chemo is a death sentence, the *majority* of the time.

It shouldn't be offered to patients.

Especially uneducated ones.

I'm going to see if I can find the correct stats now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join