It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars - "Water/Ice clouds" - Straight from Nasa

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Hi All,

I want to ask anyone here who has ever stated that Mars does not have water/ice vapor clouds to explain why Nasa and JPL say differently as per a recent "weather" mapping image used for the landing of curiosity...

The map shows water ice clouds at equatorial latitudes that are typical for late southern winter, when Mars is farther from the sun. Small, short-lived dust storms are common at this time of year on Mars and were taken into account when Curiosity's landing system was designed and tested. Larger and more long-lived dust storms are very rare at this time of year.

Source JPL/MSL Website

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars... so then explain that again please...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars

Links?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Edit;

I already added links the first time round.... it's in the ex-text box.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

No. These links:

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

i dunno man, that's been known for quite some time. the rovers have taken pictures of ice clouds....

the problem with trying to be an "expert" on mars, is that our information about mars is constantly changing, sometimes daily. it's a magnificent place.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
oh..

hmm I hadn't saved the links of every thread but every time in the past I have mentioned clouds on Mars someone pipes up and says it's only dust clouds etc etc.

I think you have as well in the past phage..

I understand not all clouds there are water or ice but when ever I have mentioned it, people say it's just dust..

edit on 6-8-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

in places like this the topic gets debated like crazy

Still waiting for examples of that "debate".

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I don't think it's ever been denied that Mars has water vapor clouds. Didn't Phoenix actually show images of snow falling?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The last time we spoke in a mars thread, I posted links to the HiRise site of what looked like clouds and you said it was dust and showed me a map of the surface and the dust storms...

I can't remember what thread.. grr. I'll have to go back through my past posts..

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

There are dust storms on Mars. Big ones. There are also clouds of water ice.
The water clouds are pretty thin. The dust storms aren't and do a very good job of obscuring terrain.
Discussing which is which is not the same as saying one or the other doesn't' exist.

edit on 8/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Most clouds on Mars are carbon dioxide ice crystals (dry ice) because Mars' atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide and the temperature there usually drops well below the freezing point for CO2.

However, it is possible for there to be ice water clouds as well. There is water on Mars, but mostly as ice, not liquid. So the clouds are just ice crystals of water. It has been detected in the past.

www.windows2universe.org...

edit on 6-8-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ok this was the most recent debate or comments and it was with you -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted links to images and you called them dust storms straight out... not debate.

I understand there are dust storms but they could have also been water clouds as well..

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I understand there are dust storms but they could have also been water clouds as well..

I disagree but that is not the same as saying that clouds of water ice do not exist on Mars.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Take a read through this really cool thread about a weird curious cloud above Mars Ats Thread it has a proper ending and everything!

Even has video footage from an amateur astronomer who captured it. There is also some examples of CO2 ice crystals avalanching down a cliff, which could be easily whipped up by the winds.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I never said that... it's people on this site and other so called "experts" that have said that....

I was trying to post this to prove a point...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Hm, I have to agree with phage. At least for me its fact that there is water vapor / ice / water on mars. It has been said several times by science in different articles. I never ran across all those people you mentoined.
It must be your personal perception ?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Don't worry Havick.

These Pseudo Nasa undercover boffins here on ATS, in next few weeks must admit the truth. And The truth will came out from the mouth of their "Mama".

Thanks for this.
S&F.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Thanks for what? Information that has been known for years? I see his point but not the posts he mentioned.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Climbing on the mirrors... as usual...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I don't think you have proven a point yet.

No doubt there are people here who claim there is no clouds (dust or vapour).

But last time I checked, there are people here that claim the earth is flat, that reptilians live among us and that the worlds space program is a hoax...

Such diversity!

Personally I'd chose another word..but I don't want to offend such-diverse-people!

Here's a good article from 2003 from NASA discussing a giant dust storm on Mars:

science.nasa.gov...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join