Mars - "Water/Ice clouds" - Straight from Nasa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.thelivingmoon.com...
Here are several GIFs with clouds.
And on all linked nasa sources...they also call them clouds.

The particles in the clouds are water-ice, as in cirrus clouds on Earth.

Source

And these are from 2008...
edit on 6.8.2012 by grobi77 because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So, who won the peeing contest? or did i miss anything good?
Water on mars? Sure, what the hell are the canals if not h2o?
besides, John lear Says there blue sky too.....
And then theres that huge hole on mars where the ocean drained into and put out the fire inside the planet.....
Then turned to steam and boiled away into space.....
eaving just a small remainder frozen at the poles.....which was covered by CO2 after when the cold of space seeped into the now too thin atmosphere and cooled everything down.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Could just refer to them as "Diversities". You will offend them by merely not believe what they say. You will get them angry if you dare to post information that proves they are wrong.

"I could be mistaken but I think diversity is an old, old wooden ship"......

Ron, why would network care about a wooden ship??

Anyways, enough Anchorman quotes for the day.....

There was a time that scientists could never imagine that liquid water (yes clouds included) could not be anywhere but on Earth......That has since changed and now we have found water all over the universe!!
edit on 8/6/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Havick007

No. These links:

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars

are you and the other responder to the OP seriously asking for "links" to provide proof of the above statement?
I find it odd that this is what you choose to challenge the OP on, the fact that he states that other members have stated that water clouds don't exist.....
I think you and the other responder are either unintentionally missing the main point or purposely choosing to obfuscate.
Or.....I'm totally misreading this whole thing

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Hi All,

I want to ask anyone here who has ever stated that Mars does not have water/ice vapor clouds to explain why Nasa and JPL say differently as per a recent "weather" mapping image used for the landing of curiosity...

The only thing I've seen stated is that mars doesn't have liquid water on the surface.. I've not heard anyone, certainly not NASA stating that water vapor isn't in the atmosphere... NASA even believes there is liquid water below the surface that may come to the surface in some areas.. but most at NASA seem to believe there is a good chance of liquid water deep below the surface. There's also apparently frozen water on the surface near the poles

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
I find it odd that this is what you choose to challenge the OP on, the fact that he states that other members have stated that water clouds don't exist.....
I think you and the other responder are either unintentionally missing the main point or purposely choosing to obfuscate.
Or.....I'm totally misreading this whole thing

I'm not sure what you mean by us "choosing to obfuscate" the main point of the OP.

Looking at the entirety of the OP's post...:

Originally posted by Havick007
Hi All,

I want to ask anyone here who has ever stated that Mars does not have water/ice vapor clouds to explain why Nasa and JPL say differently as per a recent "weather" mapping image used for the landing of curiosity...

[image snipped]

The map shows water ice clouds at equatorial latitudes that are typical for late southern winter, when Mars is farther from the sun. Small, short-lived dust storms are common at this time of year on Mars and were taken into account when Curiosity's landing system was designed and tested. Larger and more long-lived dust storms are very rare at this time of year.

Source JPL/MSL Website

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars... so then explain that again please...

...it seems clear to me that the only point the OP is making in that opening post is that ATS members have "gone on and on" in the past about there not being any H2O clouds in the Martian atmosphere, and that he is one of the few voices of reason amongst a sea of people denying that these clouds exist.

This is a patently false assertion. I'm just not sure which ATS members he is talking about, because the ATS members I know of who regularly contribute to Mars topics know that NASA has confirmed the existence of water-ice clouds several years ago.

I suppose there could be a few ATS members who don't pay attention to Mars exploration to know about the presence of these clouds, but the OP is making it sound like he's trying to tell those of us who do contribute to Mars topics "Ha!! I told you so!" regarding H2O clouds on Mars, when in actuality all he is doing is preaching to the choir.

OK -- so Mars has water-ice clouds. Very very few ATS-ers (if any) are arguing that point.

edit on 8/6/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Deliberate orange filters/

The average American doesn't think about blue skies, clouds and water under the surface when they think of Mars. Yet everyone goes on about "durr wasn't it obvious, old news, derp".

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow what a total derailment of the thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

But your average person from everywhere else does right?
edit on 6-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

So I'm not the only one who noticed that? good to know I'm not totally amongst morons.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by Phage

Why? The point of the thread seems to be that people have "gone on and on" about no water clouds on Mars. I don't recall any such discussions. How is it a derailment to ask for specifics?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

I'm confused then. What is this thread supposed to be about?

I though t it was about the OP's assertion (a false assertion, by the way) that there are a bunch of us here on ATS who have denied the existence of water-ice clouds on Mars. That is false; the great majority (maybe all?) of the regular contributors to Mars topics here on ATS know that H2O clouds had been confirmed several years ago. There isn't any one of us that I know of who is denying that fact. I don't remember anyone denying that fact.

Please explain what YOU think is the OP's original topic of this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

With so many contributions and a long standing membership on this site perhaps you could set a better example for newer members?
"I want to ask anyone here who has ever stated that Mars does not have water/ice vapor clouds to explain why Nasa and JPL say differently as per a recent "weather" mapping image used for the landing of curiosity... "
The "I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars... so then explain that again please..." is more an afterthought than a topic of discussion.

edit on 6-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I'm not gonna speak for anyone else. What a weird thing to highlight.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I don't feel like retyping it, Look above this post for a response.
edit on 6-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: stinkin space bar never works

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

is more an afterthought than a topic of discussion.
The OP made two statements of his own in the opening post and only two statements.

I want to ask anyone here who has ever stated that Mars does not have water/ice vapor clouds to explain why Nasa and JPL say differently as per a recent "weather" mapping image used for the landing of curiosity

I have members go on and on that they are all only dust clouds and that water clouds don't exist on Mars... so then explain that again please...

It is quite clear what the point was. It was a challenge. A challenge to no one apparently, since he can't seem to provide any examples of the discussions which went "on and on" or even of one example of anyone claiming that water clouds don't exist on Mars.
edit on 8/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats

Go back and read the Opening Post carefully.
The topic of discussion so far has been completely on the topic of the opening post.

The point of that opening post was NOT to discuss water-ice clouds on Mars.

Rather it is a straw-man argument that is an attempt to "call out" some ATS members (although I'm still not sure which members) as being wrong about Mars having water-ice clouds.

The reason I say "I'm still not sure which ATS members" id because I have no idea who he was attempting to "call out". His argument is a classic straw-man fallacy because I don't know of anyone among those of us who normally discuss mars science topics who DON'T know Mars has water-ice clouds.

If the OP wanted this to be a thread about water-ice clouds on mars, then he could have easily done so. He didn't. Instead he made it about saying "I told you so" (although that thing that he "told us so" is something we already knew for several years, so I really don't see the point).

I mean, read the opening post carefully, and use the OP's own words and phrases to convince me what you think this thread is about.

The bottom line is this:
Before someone starts a thread with the purpose of saying basically "I TOLD all you skeptics that Mars has water-ice clouds", they should first prove that there are people who actually said Mars DIDN'T have water-ice clouds.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by igor_ats

Go back and read the Opening Post carefully.
The topic of discussion so far has been completely on the topic of the opening post.

The point of that opening post was NOT to discuss water-ice clouds on Mars.

Rather it is a straw-man argument that is an attempt to "call out" some ATS members (although I'm still not sure which members) as being wrong about Mars having water-ice clouds.

The reason I say "I'm still not sure which ATS members" id because I have no idea who he was attempting to "call out". His argument is a classic straw-man fallacy because I don't know of anyone among those of us who normally discuss mars science topics who DON'T know Mars has water-ice clouds.

If the OP wanted this to be a thread about water-ice clouds on mars, then he could have easily done so. He didn't. Instead he made it about saying "I told you so" (although that thing that he "told us so" is something we already knew for several years, so I really don't see the point).

I mean, read the opening post carefully, and use the OP's own words and phrases to convince me what you think this thread is about.

Ladies please!, (soylent and Phage (to a lesser degree) check your egos at the door

In the words of someone fair more esteemed than myself "so what?"
A fragile ego is something I lost a long time ago. Take my advice......ditch yours as soon as possible. Makes life a lot easier.

Peace and love from, the ole' sage snert.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

So I'm not the only one who noticed that? good to know I'm not totally amongst morons.
It's you and me baby!.....you and me

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Well -- I wasn't the one who said we were way off-topic. I was just pointing out what the topic of this thread was (and that topic is NOT about a discussion on the finer points of water-ice clouds).

My ego was checked at the door until people came into this thread trying to tell us we were off-topic and derailing it. The ironic thing is that the people who actually derailed the thread were the ones claiming the rest of us were off-topic, when we were actually exactly on topic.

I originally just wanted to show the OP that he was wrong about the rest of the world not knowing that Mars had water-ice clouds. The world already knew this, and knew it for several years.

EDIT TO ADD:
My next post will try to get back on the original topic from the first couple of pages that got derailed on this third page (ironically by people claiming I had derailed it)...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join