It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey! There's an App for That! Is the Right to Privacy lines getting a little too blurry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I realize that if someone really wanted to know if you are a registered Democrat or Republican, they could go to a field office and request the information. But, how many people would take the time to do this just out of a personal curiosity?

Well, now, with the Obama app, you can get a glimpse of your neighbor's political affiliation within seconds. Man! I can see how this technology could really get abused. I find it just a little bit creepy. Am I over-reacting?

www.propublica.org...

edit on 4-8-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As I understand it the locations of both the red and blue teams are only available because the members of those teams openly advertised there affiliation with there team of choice. Not really an invasion of privacy that someone knows which team your on when you nail a giant sign outside your house for the world to see is it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

truly the "man" is filth

this is outright criminal

the only reason to out a persons party affiliation
is to paint a target on their back

edit on 4-8-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murad
As I understand it the locations of both the red and blue teams are only available because the members of those teams openly advertised there affiliation with there team of choice. Not really an invasion of privacy that someone knows which team your on when you nail a giant sign outside your house for the world to see is it.

I vote the individual, not the party, in local politics. So, I may opt to place a sign in my yard occasionally. However, I never do so when it comes to national politics. This country has become so divided on the national front and politics so nasty, I no longer use bumper stickers nor yard signs advertising my affiliation for all that drive by to see.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

Then you wont be on this app will you.

Pretty simple.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Murad

Now, why would you assume that?

But, that's not the point, is it. This is making the slope just a little too slippery, imo. Even a potential employer could use such readily available info in making a decision about you, not to mention people who may have other motives.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords
Am I over-reacting?

There are much worse violations of privacy perpetrated by Facebook and your internet service provider than the democratic party pointing out who its members are.

top topics

join