It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a cop take your dog out of your car?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was driving around with my dog today and was thinking about how my dog would react to a stranger walking up to my car. What if that stranger was a cop? I would crack my window so the cop does not have a reason to taze or shoot my dog but what if he asked me to get out of the car? Can he MAKE me take my dog out of the car or can I refuse? I worry about this because my dog is a protector. If my dog barks and trawls at the office can he shoot or taze him? What do I need to know?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Any THING that makes a threatening move (ie approaching when the cop says "stay right there") is bound for a pine box. Licking hands and wanting a ball thrown to you is reason for bullets.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I am not a lawyer but I would say no.
The dog is your property and I would think he couldn't remove it from the vehicle without a warrant.

I could be wrong though. If he see's something illegal and has probable cause to believe a cime has been commited he can search the vehicle unless I am wrong but just to remove your property without just cause would seem wrong.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If he had cause to search the car yeah he could make you take out the dog. Just calmly explain the dog is very protective and you should be fine. Cops do seem a little trigger happy with aggresive breeds.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.

Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I was driving around with my dog today and was thinking about how my dog would react to a stranger walking up to my car.

How does your dog react when a stranger comes to your house? I would imagine you already know how your dog would react. The easiest way to save your dog is to comply. If the officer was wrong in his/her actions you can always file a complaint later.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Cops have shot dogs before with tasers who were threatening them while making an arrest on the dogs owner. So yes they will taser the dog if it gets in between you and them at the office.

As for your car. Unless they need to search your vehicle I doubt they would want the dog out of the car. They would probably rather have you get out of the car and lock the dog in.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Sadly Fido often is all too ready too jump up and play. Slobbering and being large enough to knock you over when he/she excitedly jumps on you makes rules and regulations an "after the fact" thing. Can't get paw prints on my new blue uni, you know.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
if a cop ever tells you to get out of the vehical, turn off the car leave the window opened a crack and lock the doors as you get out.. then put the keys in your pockets.

Smile and refuse a search of your vehical and keep asking to go.

There was a thread about this runnin around.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

cops have shot dogs with 9mm for being perceived as a threat (rightly or wrongly).
re the scenario in the OP; if the officer has probable cause he will most likely call animal control to take possession of the animal during any search of the vehicle. he will not let the owner maintain control of the animal while he conducts said search. This makes for a long traffic stop.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

I was driving around with my dog today and was thinking about how my dog would react to a stranger walking up to my car.

How does your dog react when a stranger comes to your house? I would imagine you already know how your dog would react. The easiest way to save your dog is to comply. If the officer was wrong in his/her actions you can always file a complaint later.

I should just comply? So if a cop ask to search my car i should just let him? NO!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
if a cop ever tells you to get out of the vehical, turn off the car leave the window opened a crack and lock the doors as you get out.. then put the keys in your pockets.

Smile and refuse a search of your vehical and keep asking to go.

There was a thread about this runnin around.

This is my plan but I am not sure if a officer can legally make me take my dog out of my car.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Yes, a law enforcement officer can remove an animal from a vehicle, and yes, your dog could be in danger. If you are ever in this situation, be as courteous and polite as possible and explain the dog is protective.Try to stay calm, your worry over your dog may make you seem suspicious. If the dog has to be removed from the car because you are going away in handcuffs or have consented to a search of your vehicle, ask if you can do it or if an animal officer can do it (some counties and states may not have this option). The officer may not let you near your dog because he/she may be worried you will use it like a weapon (common problem).

Check out dog training classes- they are inexpensive and a few weeks of intensive training could give you lifelong peace of mind and trust in your dog's behavior. Consider a dog seat belt- this will keep him controlled in the car. No matter how well behaved the dog, a police stop is always dangerous for animals because if the officer is unfamiliar with animals even innocent behavior can have tragic results.

Statistically, unless you regularly violate driving laws, you are more likely to have a car accident than get pulled over. Your dog is also in danger in that scenario, especially if you are incapacitated. Think about getting the dog microchipped and get readable dog tags that have more than just your number on them.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Being stopped by the police is no authority for them to order you to do anything with the property inside your car. Pets are legally considered property and cannot anymore be harassed by the police as the contents of your trunk or glove box should you refuse a search.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have two large German Shepherds that travel with me all of the time. If I am not afraid, my dogs are not afraid, something to keep in mind. Neither of my dogs have any special training, but are family pets. They have even been known to protect my mother when I have not been home. Folks, please do not train your dog to be vicious, if they are raised right, they will protect you when and if the time comes, until that point they will cue off of your own behavior.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Good question. I am thinking that the police can require All Occupants to leave the car if they have reason to search it or the occupants for contraband. But that "begs the question"....what if the dog (out of the car) is aggressive toward the police and then the cop shoots the dog? Not good. What if the driver is a CCW and then he shoots the cop (in defense of those in his charge from the use of non-justified deadly force)?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Too bad they are freindly. According to the cop manual they are targets. For some reason people think I am joking - I am not.

CJ

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They can, and they can ask for papers on the dog or look at the collar for the info... Alotta stolen dogs out their..

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Any THING that makes a threatening move (ie approaching when the cop says "stay right there") is bound for a pine box. Licking hands and wanting a ball thrown to you is reason for bullets.

CJ

Seriously dude? The anit-police crap on here is getting old. The cop would do neither.He'd do exactly what the police did at my old job when people would come in and bitch someone left their dog in the car. They'd come out and see the dog was still alive(even the aggressive ones) and say it's not my problem,call animal control.Not in those exact words but you get my point.
edit on 4-8-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I was driving around with my dog today and was thinking about how my dog would react to a stranger walking up to my car. What if that stranger was a cop? I would crack my window so the cop does not have a reason to taze or shoot my dog but what if he asked me to get out of the car? Can he MAKE me take my dog out of the car or can I refuse? I worry about this because my dog is a protector. If my dog barks and trawls at the office can he shoot or taze him? What do I need to know?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

You need to control your dog,whether it's a cop or not that approaches him.

It's all about training.Your dog should listen to you no matter who approaches your car.

And your other question is mute,because there's no way a cop would make you take the dog out of the car.Why would he do that when he's too busy dealing with you? He's not a dog sitter.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join