Can a cop take your dog out of your car?

page: 2
4
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sulie
 





You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.


You seem to be forgetting that on many occasions "no reason" is every reason for an officer, up to and including revenue generation. Therefore the average citizen is WELL within their right to be concerned.





It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.


Uhhh..Yeah, maybe because (its Summer) time, you know the time to get the hell out of the house with the family including pets. Also, why even ask, you almost sound like you're finding the person guilty of something suspicious.




Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.


Perhaps you should mind your own damn business and let someone live their life without your wise A$$ advice..
Pooch...funny.




posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
In my town a dirty cop that we all know and hate, Decided that it was within his limits to shoot a pitbull that was already on a leash. I knew the dog personally and he wouldnt hurt a fly! The cop was there because the car next to the street had expired tags. When he decided to walk to the door the dog did what it was supposed to do bark. Even with the beware of dog signs and a fence around it he thought it would give him glory to take down a beautiful pit bull...

He has no right at all to touch your dog its your dog, your property. Cops see it as a deadly weapon ready to go off..

Oh yea i totally forgot... if you touch a police dog unwanted its determined as assault on a police officer. Go figure.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Maybe this isn't the place for it but I truly believe most police officers are good. I have had quite a few run ins with the law over the last year or so because of a tiki bar we built in my back yard, not to mention the handful of times I dealt with the police as a teenager and early twenty something partying.

When I was a kid and now with the bar I've only come across two cops that wanted to take things to the next level. In both instances other officers were there who were being cool so maybe they calmed things down. That said I can certainly see the bad ones overacting without their peers to keep them in check. Then what do you do? It's your word against theirs. I started out thinking I was going to stick up for the good ones but now I'm stuck thinking about what happens when it's just the bad ones.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I witnessed this a month ago, we pulled into home depot to get some things for the pool and next to us I noticed a dog in the back seat of a black POS SUV with limo tints (He barked & scared the %$&@ out of me because I didn't know he was in there, Not a "I'm going to eat you" bark but a "Hey, look at me" bark) It's 101 degrees outside and I'm thinking "What @sshole leaves his dog in the car on a day like today" , we go into the store for a while and end up buying more things than we intended to (Home Depot is like Toys R Us for me) we leave 45 mins later & the SUV is still there , I load everything in the truck and look into the tinted rear passengers side window and I hear nothing, I tap the glass and I hear nothing... I think, "I guess the @sshole owner took him for a walk" I start the truck and something didn't feel right, the little voice says "look through the windshield" I get out of my truck & look through the windshield and I can see the dog in the backseat, I smack the glass harder and his ears didn't even move.

My instinct was to break the glass and pull the dog out (but I was afraid of getting sued by the owner) , Instead I called the local PD and explained the situation. 10 minutes later a marked SUV arrives and it's a K-9 unit, the K-9 officer comes out, asked me what happened, I rehashed the situation and he shines his light through the glass and puts his face up to the window, taps on the glass, looks again & calls for the animal control officer on his radio.

He then walks over to the opposite side of the the black SUV & breaks the _ He unlocks the door and the suv alarm goes off and the dog barely moves, he pulled the dog out and placed him on the grass on one of the "parking lot islands" I popped my trunk and pulled a gallon of water out, to pour on the dog & try to cool him but he wasn't moving much and wouldn't drink. I asked the officer if he needed any statement from me and I gave him my card, he said if he did he'd call me.

It was a hundred degrees outside & I had kids at my house waiting to go in the pool so I left. I never got a call from the officer but I don't think the dog made it, he looked really bad , he wasn't panting & his gums were pale...

So, yes a cop can take your dog out of your car
edit on 4-8-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut
 


He took the dog out because its life was threatened. The owner clearly committed an act of animal abuse therefore permitting him to rightfully conduct search and seizure.

If you were driving down the road abiding by every law in the book. He COULD NOT touch or move your dog.

If you had illegal items sitting on the seat of the car. And an officer sees those items. Well... tell him he can't search you and see how far that gets you.


Im not dissing you at all so dont take it that way. The person that owned the SUV should have had something else besides their window broken. IMO



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican
reply to post by EyesWideShut
 


He took the dog out because its life was threatened. The owner clearly committed an act of animal abuse therefore permitting him to rightfully conduct search and seizure.

If you were driving down the road abiding by every law in the book. He COULD NOT touch or move your dog.

If you had illegal items sitting on the seat of the car. And an officer sees those items. Well... tell him he can't search you and see how far that gets you.


Im not dissing you at all so dont take it that way. The person that owned the SUV should have had something else besides their window broken. IMO


Agreed, unfortunately there are corrupt people in this world of all professions...I've known of guys on the job that have made people "Wear" things that were planted or threatened to if they wouldn't flip. Under the LAW, you're 100% right...but laws don't protect the lawless.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I witnessed this a month ago, we pulled into home depot to get some things for the pool and next to us I noticed a dog in the back seat of a black POS SUV with limo tints (He barked & scared the %$&@ out of me because I didn't know he was in there, Not a "I'm going to eat you" bark but a "Hey, look at me" bark) It's 101 degrees outside and I'm thinking "What @sshole leaves his dog in the car on a day like today" , we go into the store for a while and end up buying more things than we intended to (Home Depot is like Toys R Us for me) we leave 45 mins later & the SUV is still there , I load everything in the truck and look into the tinted rear passengers side window and I hear nothing, I tap the glass and I hear nothing... I think, "I guess the @sshole owner took him for a walk" I start the truck and something didn't feel right, the little voice says "look through the windshield" I get out of my truck & look through the windshield and I can see the dog in the backseat, I smack the glass harder and his ears didn't even move.

My instinct was to break the glass and pull the dog out (but I was afraid of getting sued by the owner) , Instead I called the local PD and explained the situation. 10 minutes later a marked SUV arrives and it's a K-9 unit, the K-9 officer comes out, asked me what happened, I rehashed the situation and he shines his light through the glass and puts his face up to the window, taps on the glass, looks again & calls for the animal control officer on his radio.

He then walks over to the opposite side of the the black SUV & breaks the _ He unlocks the door and the suv alarm goes off and the dog barely moves, he pulled the dog out and placed him on the grass on one of the "parking lot islands" I popped my trunk and pulled a gallon of water out, to pour on the dog & try to cool him but he wasn't moving much and wouldn't drink. I asked the officer if he needed any statement from me and I gave him my card, he said if he did he'd call me.

It was a hundred degrees outside & I had kids at my house waiting to go in the pool so I left. I never got a call from the officer but I don't think the dog made it, he looked really bad , he wasn't panting & his gums were pale...

So, yes a cop can take your dog out of your car
edit on 4-8-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)


Thats sad, I love my dog way to much to ever do any thing like that.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Sulie
 





You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.


You seem to be forgetting that on many occasions "no reason" is every reason for an officer, up to and including revenue generation. Therefore the average citizen is WELL within their right to be concerned.





It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.


Uhhh..Yeah, maybe because (its Summer) time, you know the time to get the hell out of the house with the family including pets. Also, why even ask, you almost sound like you're finding the person guilty of something suspicious.




Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.


Perhaps you should mind your own damn business and let someone live their life without your wise A$$ advice..
Pooch...funny.


thank you, I wanted to reply but did not want to waist my time.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   


This is hard to watch..since the people were innocent. Very sad..lucky the video is quite blurry...at the time this happened, I called that police dept and urged them to fire that police officer. He and his family had death threats.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100


This is hard to watch..since the people were innocent. Very sad..lucky the video is quite blurry...at the time this happened, I called that police dept and urged them to fire that police officer. He and his family had death threats.


this is hard to watch, and it is a sad fact that most officers would rather shoot first before using common sense. there are tons of videos on youtube about good dogs getting shot by cops. its sick. a cop ever shoots my dog, he better turn his gun on me next, and quick too.



posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321
 




If the officer was wrong in his/her actions you can always file a complaint later.


Have you seen how they treat people trying to file a complaint? Yes they are technically required to provide a complaint form, but seriously, good luck getting one. And if by chance you do get one, they are rarely looked at and nothing is ever done. Bottom line is they will do what they want. If you want a visual reference, click the link...www.youtube.com



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Behold the words of a happy and willing slave!


Originally posted by Sulie
reply to post by Infi8nity
 


You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

This is false. Has always been false. Will always be false. Fact is police have made up reasons to pull people over for as long as I can remember. I was once pulled over for a license plate light being out. Of course when I went behind the car and looked myself, it was working just fine. I was also once pulled over for "failure to signal" when making a turn. Unfortunately I DID use my turn signal, and the Officers admitted as much when he remarked to me, "I noticed as you pulled in to this parking lot that your turn signal blinks slowly, so perhaps you did use your signal to turn". Do you think that stopped him from demanding my ID or searching my vehicle or giving me a ticket anyway? Of course it didnt!! So if you want to believe that old saying, "If your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" feel free, but many of us know better!


It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.


Who says the OP takes the dog everywhere? Maybe he likes taking a ride with the dog. Many dogs enjoy car rides and his reason is really none of your business. It is not illegal to take a drive with your dog in the car is it? It reminds me of some roommates I used to have who would ask me why I was walking to teh corner store when I could easily drive instead? It doesnt matter why, it's my choice to make and I am within my rights to do it. If you dont think it is a good idea, then dont do it, but do not stop others from doing it.


Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.


Perhaps it is none of your business?



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
If he had cause to search the car yeah he could make you take out the dog. Just calmly explain the dog is very protective and you should be fine. Cops do seem a little trigger happy with aggresive breeds.


This is so true...although protective and agressive seems to be confused with eachother.

I have a Male English Mastiff weighing in at a healthy 200 lbs. and people think he is a Tyrant.

Not true at all.
He loves to roar at people to let them know he is in charge when approaching me.
I tell people it's alright to pet him and he become the most gentle giant on the planet.
I mind myself around cops though because even though my dog is a friendly bear type beast,
cops may see him as a people eater.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
reply to post by Infi8nity
 


You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.

Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.


That has to be the worse advice I've ever heard



You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

Are you joking? I'm guessing your not a driver as the Police often stop people randomly and without reason for vehicle checks, and when there is a reason it's often minor or even BS.


It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.

Even more of a reason to take your dog out. Dogs need exersize, and nice sunny days are the best, most dogs prefer sun to rain, and both dog and car get less dirty.


Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.

I'm not even going to answer that selfish quote, I just advise that you don't get one of man's best friends as your attitude just isn't right.

Dogs are Awesome!



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Here, you must comply with a reasonable request from a police officer.

I'd say you would probably have to, otherwise you could drive around with kilos of drugs in your car with a nasty dog in the back seat.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
reply to post by Infi8nity
 


You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.

Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.



What kind of fantasy life are you living? I can't believe the naivete of your thoughts. Are you an apologist for the police and NWO?



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100
 

The dog did not present a deadly threat to the officer and thus lethal force was not justified....that standard should not apply just to humans. They were told that a dog was in the car. He has a taser and can fire a warning shot into the ground to scare the dog. Even if the dog was hit by a car I would hold the police liable...no question in the case of shooting it. IF a K-9 can be considered an "officer" and one charged accordingly for assaulting it then one can consider one's dog a "family member" (even if a pet dog) and high monetary damages should apply.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
If your dogs a threat then yes, they can put it down in order to avoid harm to themselves.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu
 


Lmao. You people and your police state have nothing but paranoia to base it off of.

If you were in a police state they'd be at your door now for posting that bs.

Get a life.



posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
reply to post by Infi8nity
 


You seem to be forgetting that if you give the police no reason to pull you over, you would have nothing to worry about in the first place.

It's summer time and what reason do you have to be taking your dog everywhere anyway.

Perhaps you should leave the pooch at home to protect your house.



This is a shocking reply. Shocking first because you act as though nobody ever gets pulled over, and they should kbow better than to care about the safety of their dog should they be pulled over. I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., police will pull you over for having a tail light out, or DWY (driving while young - I was pulled over routinely for no reason in my teens and 20's), etc. You don't need to be perpetrating a crime for a cop to pull you over here.

And the bit about "what reason do you have to be taking your dog..." - seriously? Clearly you're not a dog owner and you believe they are little more than biological security devices. I take my dogs for far more rides in the summer than in the winter. Sometimes because we're going somewhere together (I.e. Forest preserve, parent's house), and sometimes just to go for a ride (dogs love riding in cars, at least in the Northen Hemisphere they do.)






top topics



 
4
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join