It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What service do Olympic Athletes provide to society?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

You're ignoring or missing one main point here: 99% of all olympic athletes carry regular jobs, just like you and me. They dont get rich from the olympics, outside of the few Phelps' types out there.

They contribute just as much as you or I.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
uhhhh... we all get to look at good looking women for a few weeks with awesome bodies. That right there is enough of a service for me. Especially since they are all normal people who aren't trying to become the next kim kardashian.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Originally posted by SadButTrue
I think another ignorant post by another person who spends too much time thinking America is the evil doer of the world.

I grow tired of the ignorant Americans/or foreigners that lack the education and knowledge to understand National Pride.

Oh but you're just another person that feeds off all the conspiracies and thinks that everything American is and has done is evil.

America should just not compete in the olympics anymore or should just lose every event, would that make you happy?

Cheers to freedom of speech and to allowing anyone, no matter how naive they are to voice their opinion.

Seriously though, what drug are you on?
I keep reading this and can't help but laugh, how in the hell did you take a social commentary about America from what i posted?

If anything, your comments cast American society into a bad light, that is, for anyone willing to accept you as a representitve of American society.

Nice work

When you ask open-ended questions and ask the questions you have, you obviously knew what you were implying. Don't pretend to ask a question like this and then pretend that "you were just wanting an opinion." The way you back away from my response shows you knew what you were really asking.

Does the question really need an answer? Or are there several answers to your question? Does it really matter what the answers are?

Nope.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Don't be a Knuckle head...some people like other sports other than big major sports like Football and Soccer and regular attend compitition events. I happen to like the martial arts the athletes compete in those events leading up to the Olympics so you question is moot!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's as simple as ENTERTAINMENT for anyone who's interested. I just wish the there wasn't so much advertising...kinda takes away from what it's all about, and makes me wonder who it's really for... but that's usually the same with anything that's sponsored.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'll start by saying I'm not "butt hurt"

Most of the people who appear to have injured gluteus maximus are Americans. Our Olympic atheletes are not goverment funded. So if they have a job, they contribute double what the average person does.

Your first sentence says Olympic atheletes DO NOT contribute to society. That's simply wrong, even if they are gov funded. This is why people are having "emotional responses".

Also to suggest (especialy on this site) that everyone must contribute a certain amount to society, sounds like your conditioned by communist propaganda.

To answer your question...entertainment, hope, furthuring the limits of the human body, a boost to the local economy, local revitilization (although this can turn out bad when people are kicked off land and disinfrachised)

Yes you should have just asked "What do the Olympics mean to you?"

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Again. Thankyou to the people that gave well thought-out and mature responses to my question.

Obviously i have my own opinion and it mirrors most of the thoughtful opinions posted here, but the question would have been moot if i hadn't of challenged the reader to accept the burden of proof on this one.

Oh and, i play many sports.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Perhaps these games should have been boycotted by the athletes.
In protest of the current political and economic climate in their respective countries.
And what is national pride?
And of course the sycophantic media love it all...just like you lot.
Perhaps you should have boycotted it too!
This show is just another expression of the insanity that surrounds us.
Look at the state of the planet or should I say?
Look at the state of humanity and what we are doing.
No wait...I have a better idea, lets see who can jump the highest!

Smashing.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I personaly think many sports people are selfish and egotistical ,they basically have to be to get on and win. I wish so much energy and time could be directed to making life easier for people who are struggling with basic human need like clean water food etc Can you imagine if the world watched live on tv the vast improvment to poor nations, a type of compassonate olympics. However I think the olympics as they are still show a good side to humanity, far better than nations at war

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The Olympics are a major international commercial event; like all entertainment, they serve no real purpose other than to make money.

The same can be said for most sports events; although the occasional person will derive inspiration from professional athletes, their occupation serves no real purpose other than to be exploited.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You do realize the "Olympic" games have traditionally taken place sincebefore the Roman empire;?
beginning with Greek society and culture I believe; and have been woven thoroughly into the history of the world.? Oh that's right they only teach leftist "revisionist history 101" at "university" now."You didn't win that gold medal alone! Somebody built your "5 A.M. alarm clock"; and that indoor practice pool and even if you did we want our over $8 grand in taxes

Sorry couldn't help myself...
edit on 3-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
I think another ignorant post by another person who spends too much time thinking America is the evil doer of the world.

I grow tired of the ignorant Americans/or foreigners that lack the education and knowledge to understand National Pride.

Oh but you're just another person that feeds off all the conspiracies and thinks that everything American is and has done is evil.

America should just not compete in the olympics anymore or should just lose every event, would that make you happy?

Cheers to freedom of speech and to allowing anyone, no matter how naive they are to voice their opinion.

In my state of Connecticut MANY Olympic athletes give there time for free to train kid on all levels to better themselves, for example remember Peggy Flemming skater gold metal late sixties I received training from her. Buddies of mine were trained for free for the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics for free by older Bob Sledders and yes thay made the team!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The service olympic athletes gives is, hypocrisy.
They compete and train during 4 years while we couldn't care less and when the olympic of corruption start we decide its gonna be fun to watch, just because its on TV.
Its like, I really don't know why its so important but since its on TV on soo many channels it must be.
If you guys knew how corrupt the CEO is, toward money and races, you would not watch it even if your daughter was competing. Olympics athletes are just there to make the money roll. Nobody remember them, except those with 10 + medals, even there. You might be a huge fan of the 4 x 200 relay but how many time you watched last 3 years ?
Hypocrisy, that is.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Entertainment, bonding, competition, they are like todays hero's. Olympics are awesome and their are many reasons to have them.

BUT I also get what your trying to say here and you are right. There will always be people that use good things, like the Olympics, to make greedy profit for themselves.
WE ALL KNOW that there are Athletes who think too highly of themselves and even cheat or lie just to win a the trophy.
Especially in these economic times when people need the money for rent than paying for the Olympics,
its like if people are starving and instead getting food you get a brand new TV, since your gonna die of starvation anyways, the person that got you the TV will get it right back.

edit on 3-8-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What service does movie actors and actresses provide?

Do you enjoy movies?

If you do enjoy movies I would imagine you would not enjoy the idea of there not being any actors and actresses. Correct?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Great arguments with logically thought out ideas behind them.

Thats all i asked for.

No need to get all butt-hurt about it.

Thankyou for your OBJECTIVE, un-emotional responses, they really help to contribute to a rational discussion on social concepts.

Okay, that is a memorable come back. Thanks for the smile.

On your OP, I think the Olympics first and foremost gives the world and it's nations one regular, scheduled and peaceful venue to compete and one-up each other without killing anyone. Where else does such a thing honestly exist?

Outside the Western nations where such things are apparently too pedestrian to mean anything now (groans), it also gives the kids of a nation something to aspire to and in many cases, one of the only chances of truly shining as an individual without being born upper class or royalty.

Just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
They "service" the elites with a distraction from current world events.

This is a time of the year where not just a few countries, but almost the whole world is watching, discussing, analyzing for 2-3 weeks, makes me wonder how much is being swept under the rug...

Like the court circus. Human circus. Nice to watch many of the events.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by Raivan31

The US government does not pay for olympic athletes to train. They also do not pay athletes for winning medals....what are you talking about?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Being the family member of an Olympic athlete (Men's Gymnastics) I can say that I respect the opinion/question of the OP.

The athletes spend many countless hours of their own time and money (family too) getting to the point where they "qualify" for "free training" that isn't entirely free. I could go on and on about this, but the point I am trying everybody to understand is the sacrifices and pain that the athletes go thru just to get to represent their nation.

Once you qualify, you still have to compete just to remain at the olympic training centers. If coaches don't think your attitude or dedication is there, or even if the coach's personality doesn't jive with the individual, you are gone in a snap of a finger.

Now yes, the experience is second to none....But the "Free" training only includes room and board and equipment to train on/with. What happens if the athlete doesn't make it? Well, they now have crushed dreams of proudly representing their nation, and are tossed into a world where they rarely have the social skills, and expertise to compete for a job. So off to school they go and try to learn life's lessons in 4-6 years that they missed out on, that we all take for granted comming out of high school. See, many are tutored or home schooled from age six all the way to 18-19. These studies are accomplished in between training sessions though out the day.

Now, the Olympians that do make it and do compete are up against the same challenges just further down the road so to speak(depending on sport). The Olympians that do metal, are usually donating tons of time talking with school children about their experiences, training, as well as healthy lifestyles.

In my opinion, spending.000000005 percent of our deficit on true role models, is worth every penny. Instead of our govt spending lord knows how many wasted $$'s on stupid billboards saying not to do drugs, or smoke any type of plant or bath salts, they are spending the money wisely by producing a "tangible" product for society to enjoy watching, and learning from.

Thanks for reading, and allowing time in your day to read my two cents. Now, if the Olympic committee would just bring back nude competitors!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by mbernardin

The Olympic committee is private and seperate from the government. No tax money is used to fund it. So the entire premise of this thread is false.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join