It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What service do Olympic Athletes provide to society?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

It's more than what you think. These games unite us even if only for a little while.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Yes, you are technically correct...just like Pepsi and Taco Bell are separate companies.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I don't really have anything against the Olympic athletes, the Olympics isn't their only goal, as stated. They usually do other stuff.

But in general, I hate the Olympics. I think the point about "bringing Nations together" and all that is complete bunk. It doesn't promote peace or diversity, it actively campaigns against it. It promotes Nationalism, Genetic Superiority and Competition to Prove Dominance.

A large number of the events are absurd as well, and this is the point I make about "Genetic Superiority". "Run in a straight line the fastest", "Swim the fastest in a straight line", "Run in a circle the fastest", etc. Some games employ guile, cunning and skill, but the flagship events do not. They might as well hold events called, "The Tallest" or "The Purest Bloodline", because that's what it is...

It is an ancient practice, that in my opinion, encourages infighting within humanity itself, further separating us. The Olympics are only fun if you're a nationalist. To those very, very few who enjoy "all events" and enjoy "all athletes", you are a rare breed of person and don't represent the majority of observers in the slightest.

All of this, and we haven't even talked about the gluttonous nature of the entire charade. So much affluence paraded about:

-There is a fence in London that scales the entire complex that is taller than the Berlin wall. It is electrified, and topped with razor-wire. With about 1,000 surveillance cameras.

-Britain has spent $2 billion on security for the games, and there will be more British troops on hand to protect the Olympics than there are in Afghanistan; making it the largest military presence in London since WW2.

-All the roads around London reserved a lane specifically for VIPs. If you have enough money, you can buy yourself onto this lane and drive through London unimpeded by traffic. If you are not rich, and you stray into this lane, you face a $400 fine.

-The Olympics are corporate sponsored and copyrighted. Only Mcdonalds is served inside the "dome" and you're not allowed to bring anything in to eat.

- I heard a story where a local bakery pressed the "Olympic symbol" into their breads/pastries in celebration, but was told to remove them due to copyright. I can't confirm it as I can't find the story...

- Other stuff..

The Olympics is gross, and evil.
edit on 3-8-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Quick, name a sport that isn't stupid.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
womens beach volleyball, brazilian edition.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrutalDictator
Quick, name a sport that isn't stupid.

Originally posted by randomname
womens beach volleyball, brazilian edition.

He shoots and he scores!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I'm with you, throw a shark or two in the pool.. Have a lion chase the runners..

I bet they break so many records

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

A large number of the events are absurd as well, and this is the point I make about "Genetic Superiority". "Run in a straight line the fastest", "Swim the fastest in a straight line", "Run in a circle the fastest", etc. Some games employ guile, cunning and skill, but the flagship events do not. They might as well hold events called, "The Tallest" or "The Purest Bloodline", because that's what it is...

That is predicated on the idea that their ability is entirely the result of genetics. It does not take into account that training in of itself advanced their ability to where it is.

I agree with you concerning your points about the Olympics being an active campaign against unity.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Stunning evaluation. It's pretty much the same understanding I've come up with also after years of balancing out the pros and cons of not only the Olympics but the entire entertainment industry complex.
The international pomp and comaraderie Is a product. It is manufactured and distributed via the entertainment needle straight into our amygdalas.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It shows me what the human spirit can do and how the mind can allow people to reach levels beyond what they thought possible.

Of course in your little word.. who knows what that means to you?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

so youre mad you got stomped on in dodgeball in the 4th grade so you think athletes dont do anything but play sports?

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Im with you OP.
for how long have the Olympics been around ?
If you want to promote healthier lifestyle and cycling and throwing javelins into the air,then change the method because the olympics ain't working. It's just entertainment.

I'm sorry, it is a waste of money in MY opinion, and i think most sports fans have anger management issues.
When you mix some logic into that whole poisonous chemical reactions going on into fanatic brains(like this post has) you get chest pounding,swearing and probably physical aggresion.

If you love sports,go ahead,but i don't want my tax money to pay for them.

And yes, i'm against all sorts of patriotism,national pride,fanaticism and bullying.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What service to they provide?

They are used to help sell products for the large multinational corporations that sponsor them.

That's why the media hypes up the Olympics so much.

Just walk into a store while the games are on and you see Olympics on products everywhere, or you see it on TV ads. Anytime a company wants to use the Olympics to sell a product they have to pay a fee, those who don't like the little old lady selling plush toys on the corner gets crushed by an army of lawyers. It's also the reason why they banned spectators from wearing shirts with brand logos that aren't sponsors to the games, if your wearing a Pepsi shirt instead of Coke then you're not allowed in. Businesses that don't pay up can't even use certain words in combination like "games", "2012", "gold", "silver", "summer". The village of Olympicnic had to be renamed, and a cafe called "Olympic cafe" had to drop the "O".

cha ching! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

edit on 4-8-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The olympics is a way for the countries to have a peaceful war between eachother. To show who should or should not be messed with in the earth point of view.

Olympians are trained again and again to show who is the fastest, strongest, and overall more powerful.

Yes it is a fun thing to watch, but they contribute much more than a working man can. Their whole existance in the spot light can shatter with one slip, one fall, one misplaced stroke. They would be cast aside as the one who failed the country. Never really to be spoken of again.

Can anyone else put that kind of pride on the line in front of their whole country?

Most of you, including I, would fail miserably if chosen to go compete.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I don't know bud, but some of these athletes are pretty talented and have no real output to show their skill and make money. For example; diving; it's amazing what these people can do so why not encourage it? In the last 20 years, the tricks have exponentially improved in their complexity and it's entertaining!
Watch some snowboarders and see what they're doing. It's simply beautiful!

We are at a point in time where it seems that anything is possible! And our math and physics reflect this.
I find it fascinating how far we've come in the last 100 years. I thank god for every day and to witness the world at this point in time
edit on 4-8-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

great insight. pretty much how it feels to me as well. however you have articulated it beyond what i have. its good to know im not the only one.

good questioning OP. Keep it up. way to try and steer this thread into civil respectful posts. much respect for that.

edit on 4-8-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

How do I get taxpayer money for my kids to train!?!? This sounds like a GREAT deal, too bad it doesn't happen that way.

They provide hope, unity, pride, role models, ambassadorship and goodwill to other countries, etc. Entertainment just like any other athlete. They provide jobs to their trainers and support staff, and they bring economic impact to the towns they visit for competition.

You could really pick any sporting event or community event and ask the same question, but the cities are lobbying to draw these events to their town, so obviously there is some benefit.

What do those worthless senators and representatives provide for their 4-6 years in office?
Many good answers but this is the best most complete answer. And boy howdy do the cities vie for the opportunity to host, spending millions, so they can make millions more.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Now that professionals are participating, it isn't the same. Just give the medals to the top pros that show up.

How long before qualifying for the Olympic team doesn't happen for someone who isn't using 'the system'. It might already be there.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
Virtualy every occupation that i can think of provides a regular and constant service to society, except Olympic athletes.

Even football/soccer/tennis/e.t.c players provide regular entertainment, but olympic athletes train for six or more years at tax payer expense so they can compete for 10 mins.

Considering the cost of training olympic athletes and factor in all of the troubles with the world i feel the question needs to be asked: "Olympics, what are they good for?"

On the surface it seems like a hell of a lot of money thrown at people pursuing totally selfish goals that have no real benefit to the society that signs the cheques.

I expect a lot of flaming for this, but really, isn't your anger just an emotional response to the question posed.
What i want is an objective opinion.

What do you think ATS?

EDIT: This is simply a question posed for the sake of getting people views on a subject... maybe asking "what do the olympics mean to you?" would have been a better question.

This post is NOT a weapon, so anyone who finds the concepts offensive oughta understand that that was never the intention and if you choose to feel that it is then you will have to nurse that hurt all on your own.

I don't think i could make this any clearer, NOT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BUTT-HURT.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

Consider that when you get angry about this it's because you are assuming that you know what i am thinking, which you certainly do not, so your anger is actually an insult to me. keep it to yourself and stay civil.
edit on 3-8-2012 by Raivan31 because: to clarify for arrogant people that live inside their own fictional reality

caution sarcasm ahead
WHAT GOOD IS IT!!!!! Are you mad??/ It's just one more way to say I am better than you.
Hmmfph.
Your country in came in fourth place, you guys suck. ...and you ask why

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Olympians and their performance tend to be taken as a commentary upon the nation they represent.

The service then is acting as evidence pertaining to claims of the development and capabilities of a society.

Take for example a 15 years old American long distance swimmer that nearly sets a world record in the 800m Freestyle:

800 meters is 800 meters and water is water...the record has stood for 23 years...

the only difference is the swimmer, who through superior diet and training, compared to 23 years ago, is able to accomplish while still in puberty what it once took a more mature and experienced swimmer to accomplish in the past.

Olympians are a more cost effective, efficient form of international diplomacy...it should be obvious that once the athletes competitive career is over, they move into roles as Ambassadors and Intelligence agents.

the discipline and morality that was developed from years of perfecting a craft or skills in a sport to the point of being the best, if only for one moment of one day, they are viewed as ethical partners and collaborators by our rivals.

the service they provide is that they justify us, the citizens of the nation they represent.

do you realize the value of an Olympic medalist in a 3rd world nation? it is far beyond immense. not necessarily in a monetary way, but for national self esteem...which some may consider more important than material wealth.

an African, Ethiopian, marathoner shows up to the Olympics with no shoes and runs the race with no shoes because he trained and lived in a world where shows were not easily available and wins the Marathon barefoot...

an entire nation realizes these types of things are not absolutely necessary to accomplish things in life; their outlook changes.

and as powerful as these examples are...there will always be people in the world that will continue to tell people they aren't worth a squirt of piss no matter how hard they try and this will be effective.

edit on 4-8-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join