It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want real change? Easy solution....Don't vote!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

So basically you've surrendered to the system?

If everybody thought the way you do Ron Paul wouldn't have a chance or at least putting forth his views.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

simply put, i have stood my ground and refused to take part in the system that re-elects those who ruin my country into positions of high power.

And how many elections were conducted successfully while you were silently protesting?

I’ve always blamed people like YOU for the problems because you are informed about the issues yet you refuse to participate and make the system work the way it was designed.

Shameful!

You don't have a voice if you don't vote....you're contributing to the problem IMO.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well you certainly do a lot of complaining now, What have you done to help change the situation besides all that complaining?

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Well you certainly do a lot of complaining now, What have you done to help change the situation besides all that complaining?

i have not voted, and expressed my displeasure for the system the way it is.

what have you done?

edit: simply put, i have stood my ground and refused to take part in the system that re-elects those who ruin my country into positions of high power.
edit on 1-8-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

So basically you've surrendered to the system?

If everybody thought the way you do Ron Paul wouldn't have a chance or at least putting forth his views.

please do not put false words in my mouth.

i stated that i will not participate in a rigged, unfair, and despicable system of voting.

i refuse to vote for someone who will pass a bill that ruins the country even further, or vote for the other who will do the same.

peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
There's always the option for "None of the Above." You still vote and thus participate but express your (very valid) view that none of the choices are worthwhile. This has been done before:

Wikipedia None of The Above

I know about six months ago when I googled this term (because I remembered the idea from the movie "Brewster's Millions" ...which is kind of ironic, no?) the wiki entry used to appear first. No one was talking about it. Now everyone appears to be talking about it:

None of the Above Forbes

None of the Above Des Moines

This is a very Abby Hoffman looking site - you have been forewarned

A budding Facebook page

Even merchandising!

You can google the rest yourselves...

Not saying this is necessarily what I'll be doing (or if I will even vote - does it even matter? I'm thinking it only matters to people who have money and want to keep it. I have NOTHING to lose) - but it's interesting how opinion has started to shift. Robamney is not the answer.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Not saying this is necessarily what I'll be doing (or if I will even vote - does it even matter? I'm thinking it only matters to people who have money and want to keep it. I have NOTHING to lose) - but it's interesting how opinion has started to shift. Robamney is not the answer.

Quitter?

Glass half empty?

Meh!!

You’ve got to keep fighting, Nancy!

The time is now!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

simply put, i have stood my ground and refused to take part in the system that re-elects those who ruin my country into positions of high power.

And how many elections were conducted successfully while you were silently protesting?

I’ve always blamed people like YOU for the problems because you are informed about the issues yet you refuse to participate and make the system work the way it was designed.

Shameful!

You don't have a voice if you don't vote....you're contributing to the problem IMO.

i honestly respect your opinion, i disagree with it very much, and i believe that you on the other hand, for believing in the system, are responsible for the way things are now.

but this is what "they" want. people that are willing to fight and point fingers at each other, rather than point at the system, that only ever gives us a roll of loaded dice every single time without fail.

that is my opinion.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think it might be a better idea to draft trustworthy people at a local level and support them as long as they remain trustworthy. Maybe try to gain popular support for term limits by educating others.
Call me naive, but I still believe we have a chance to change our government for the better.
By not participating in the process you're doing exactly what the career politicians want.

If everyone just stops voting we'll have tyranny by default.

edit on 07/27/12 by glasshouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 07/27/12 by glasshouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Well I'm curious. Would you prefer to live in a Dictatorship instead? I'm sure there are one or two of them still around someplace. By the way, I asked a question earlier not put words in your mouth.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Stop thinking it's a choice between A and B. Write in whomever you want. ***COUGH*** Ron Paul***COUGH***

Seriously thought, there is nothing stopping a grassroots movement voting en masse for Ron Paul. Or maybe we just need another 4 more years of crap before people wake up and say "screw A, screw B, I'm going with C and I don't care if he's not from one of the two major parties."

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I would like to add to my comments as this is turning into a pretty good discussion, a discussion that has remained quite civil for the most part. I think that is a testament to the current members taking part in this conversation.First and foremost, my comment was derived from that George Carlin bit. I wish I could take credit for it but I cannot. However, it does echo my feelings to a tee.The voter turnout is a very slippery slope. By participating you're giving your consent to the system. In effect you are claiming there is nothing wrong with it through your actions. Everything that happens within the system is only allowed through consent.If you get an even greater amount of the population not to turn out I guarantee it would raise a few eyebrows. I'm sure there would be attempts to fudge the numbers through the media to make the turnout to look better than what it really was. But sometimes complete silence can be deafening.Example: Have you ever been really interested in someone that never gave you the time or day? They just act as if you're not even there. Nothing hurts more than that, and their actions are magnified by your interest. I know it's a bit extreme to compare love to politics, but it is meant to illustrate how much silence can grab the attention of people.What you don't want to happen is to have big government to see that silence as permission to do as they like (unfortunately this seems to be where we are at today). You have to clearly send the message that you are not giving them consent, period end of story. Just because I didn't vote doesn't mean I don't care. It just means I don't give consent to what's currently happening, and I don't have any confidence in the current candidates.This is where I think there should be a restructuring of the system where local voting takes even more precedence. This is not to say that local voting is not effective, it just says we could create even more social mobility than we currently have today. What may be good for people in Ohio may not be good for people in California. Different cultures, different types of issues take precedence, thus what I would call social mobility. I'm starting to ramble and get off topic so I'll just leave my comment where it is now.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

reply to post by otherpotato

Quitter?

Glass half empty?

Meh!!

You’ve got to keep fighting, Nancy!

The time is now!

you say im shameful for not voting in another post, but you call user-otherpotato a nancy and treat them like a pessimist because they point out a very interesting mindset.

but in my honest opinion i believe you contradict yourself, because i believe (again, in my honest opinion) that no matter how hard you vote for what you think is right, that "they" (the politics) will never give you or, "we the people" what we want, need, or even what we deserve.

"they" will always get what they want in an election because they own it all, and control it all.

if we would all refuse to vote, we could metaphorically pull the rug of power out from under their greedy slippers made out of american tears, and take back our freedom, by denying and refusing the corruption and the disparity that they force on our lives.

peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Not voting lets those who DO vote decide. Pretty lame to encourage people not to be a part of the decision making process. Like the saying goes, Don't vote? Don't bitch.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteSpectralMirror
Stop thinking it's a choice between A and B. Write in whomever you want. ***COUGH*** Ron Paul***COUGH***

Seriously thought, there is nothing stopping a grassroots movement voting en masse for Ron Paul. Or maybe we just need another 4 more years of crap before people wake up and say "screw A, screw B, I'm going with C and I don't care if he's not from one of the two major parties."

THANK YOU.

*hug*

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

i honestly respect your opinion, i disagree with it very much, and i believe that you on the other hand, for believing in the system, are responsible for the way things are now.

Fair enough!

but this is what "they" want. people that are willing to fight and point fingers at each other, rather than point at the system, that only ever gives us a roll of loaded dice every single time without fail.

What is the option because sitting it out obviously doesn’t work? Who are you teaching a lesson to? The train leaves the station every 4 years whether you’re on board or not, right?

that is my opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Fair enough!

What is the option because sitting it out obviously doesn’t work? Who are you teaching a lesson to? The train leaves the station every 4 years whether you’re on board or not, right?

that is my opinion.

i'd rather walk.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

but in my honest opinion i believe you contradict yourself, because i believe (again, in my honest opinion) that no matter how hard you vote for what you think is right, that "they" (the politics) will never give you or, "we the people" what we want, need, or even what we deserve.

So I ask again, what is the alternative because sitting out has never and will never solve a problem. Sitting out is akin to burying your head in the sand and allowing the world to carry on without you.

edit on 2-8-2012 by seabag because: Mod request

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

So I ask again, what is the alternative because sitting out has never and will never solve a problem. Sitting out is akin to burying your head in the sand and allowing the world to carry on without you.

you say im shameful for not voting in another post, but you call user-otherpotato a nancy and treat them like a pessimist because they point out a very interesting mindset.

Keep alerting mods…it seems to be working based on my disappearing posts.

edit on 2-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

LOL holy bananas no, hey it ain't me ok.

i haven't alerted nobody, we are just talking here, word of honor ok.

in response to your question, i don't know.

but i wont play their game.

peace.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

LOL holy bananas no, hey it ain't me ok.

i haven't alerted nobody, we are just talking here, word of honor ok.

Somebody is! Had to throw it out there!

Thanks for the debate!

in response to your question, i don't know.

but i wont play their game.

Well, when you figure it out let me know. Until then I must vote (whether it counts or not).

Peace!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Well you have that right not to.
That's fair it just seems a waste to me is all

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Not voting lets those who DO vote decide. Pretty lame to encourage people not to be a part of the decision making process. Like the saying goes, Don't vote? Don't bitch.

You seem to be under the impression that your vote matters. The electoral college chooses the president. You have no power.

Change can only come through drastic measures at this point and playing the game is hardly a drastic measure. I understand people fear change, because they fear the unknown. However, now is the time to think not just about ourselves, but our future....our children's future....heck! their children's future.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join