It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK 54R Dragunov Style Carbine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This rifle features a 16-1/2in barrel and AKM pistol grip and stock, making it more compact than a PSL, VEPR, and Dragunov style rifles. I would pick this over a .308 because of ammo cost, simple construction and AK reliability.
Here's a vid of it.

When I say this gun is simple, it's simple. Here are the parts.

From what I've read there not cheap, I don't know the actual price since there sold out.Although from my research they cost $840-lower$900 range, What are your thoughts on this weapon?
edit on 1-8-2012 by DisUglyBoyHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
any ak should be simple and reliable if you are paying more than might be expected for one make sure the markup is related to quality or accuracy and not a dragunov tag
edit on 8/1/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
What makes is "Dragunov Style"? Just visual appearance? It's not that close.

It's ultimately derived from RPK, which is the Kalashnikov strain.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I have an old Mosin Nagant from 1927 that shoots the 7.62x54R. It is a great round. I like it better than my new 30-06. To be able to get that round into an AK style rifle is awesome. I know what I want for Christmas!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

A Dragunov is basically just a Kalashnikov derivative (calling it an RPK derivative is inaccurate as the RPK is an AK derivative itself) that is built with tighter tolerances and in some cases, even a free-floated barrel.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Hey I didn't call it a Dragunov Style Carbine, Waffen Werks did, check out this link for more info

www.atlanticfirearms.com...

The AK-54R rifles are built upon Category 1 (nice, minty, un issued) Romanian PSL rifle parts kits, using a special receiver that allows for the use of regular AKM type butt stocks and pistol grips. They also feature a correct, and fully functional, scope mount, installed on the left side of the receiver . The barrel is shortened to 16.5 inches, and is re-profiled, allowing the gas block and handguard retainer to be moved rearward, so that standard AKM length gas pistons (we use a Tapco stainless unit, which provides an extra 922r compliance part) and standard AKM type handguards can be used! The idea is simply to give the end user an AKM sized package that delivers the powerful punch of the 7.62x54R cartridge.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

A Dragunov is basically just a Kalashnikov derivative (calling it an RPK derivative is inaccurate as the RPK is an AK derivative itself) that is built with tighter tolerances and in some cases, even a free-floated barrel.

You are wrong. By the way, I've used a SVD, a real army issue AK-47 and AK-74. I do know that the RPK is derived from the AK, I did a field strip on both numerous times, the Romanian sniper rifle is closer to RPK wrt barrel length.

link

First and foremost, the SVD is NOT based on an AK47. However, popular culture(games and movies) depict otherwise due to the exterior looks.

link

Its bolt mechanism and gas recovery system are similar to those of the AK and AKM

link

Oh, and for the short of it, nothing is cross compatible. Nothing.

Yeah completely different animals. The SVD resembles the AK series in appearance only. Different gas system etc.etc.

edit on 1-8-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The Romanian PSL is based on the Dragunov design and though it's not a true Dragunov, it's still a great design! It fires the 7.62x54r round and is very accurate. The cost for one is around $750, which is a heckuva lot less than a true Dragunov.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
The Romanian PSL is based on the Dragunov design

No.

dragunov.net

The PSL is based on a Kalashnikov design but is not an AK variant in the true sense. The rifle uses a modified Kalashnikov trigger and gas piston system that are specially designed to handle the larger 7.62x54R caliber. Since the Russian M43 7.62x39 cartridge is not ideally suited for long distance stopping power, a rifle was developed that could fire a heavier bullet with better terminal ballistics, but would also have controls familiar to a soldier that was trained to use the standard AK-47 and AKM machine gun.

This quote, of course, is inaccurate in itself since AKM is not a machine gun.

edit on 1-8-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Thanks for correcting! The PSL is a low cost alternative and a beautiful rifle.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I've been actualy looking for a romak PSL for quite some time, they are hard to come by here in calif

I never liked they way an AK looks or fires, but I greatly respect the reliability of that firearm. When I saw my first Russian tiger SVD I fell in love with the way it looks but could never afford the 5-8k for an actual tiger SVD so I'll settle for a PSL, but they seem to be scarce now

I saw a pic from Iraq that showed a pile of PSL and SVDs about 4ft high that we're confiscated from insurgents, all of them were to be destroyed !!

Some US solders have them as trophies in there barracks hanging on the walls

As for the AK 54r ,, that baby must have an incredible kick!!!

Be safe people
edit on 1-8-2012 by viperdave because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
When I saw my first Russian tiger SVD I fell in love with the way it looks but could never afford the 5-8k for an actual tiger SVD

One of my friends got an SVD for a considerably cheaper price. I tried it at the range and it's an amazing weapon even with an iron sight. I shudder to think what it can do with a scope.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The rifle I'm talking about is a Russian tiger, they were imported in the 80s by a couple of company's in the US. One was actualy here in calif. they can't be imported anymore, even the PSLs and Chinese versions can't be imported, what your seeing for sale is PSL parts with a US made receiver , since the origanal receiver needs to be destroyed or rendered un useable.

The Russian tiger SVD looked awsome! It had polymer furniture on it with a dragonov style stock

The romak PSLs and Chinese versions have wood furniture and are concidered a "sporter" rifle for hunting ect.

The term SVD is used some times to describe the Romanian and Chinese versions but they arnt an actual Russian tiger SVD the rifles both look similar so some people call them SVDs

I'm not sure of the actual spelling but SVD stands for ... "Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova". Which means dragonov sniper rifle

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I like the 7.62X 54 round. It doesn't have much more of a kick than a 308. Slightly ore but it's still comfortable. I've also found the round when shooting through a Mosin to be pretty accurate with a lot of power when it hits. Must be fun to shoot in semi.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

The AK 54r seems to be the Russian version of the US made AR 10

Both use similar size rounds US 7.62x51. Russian 7.62x54r

The kick on semi auto would be realy hard with both rifles just imagine on full auto!!and ammo would be very heavy to carry in combat for both rifles

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Ok stupid me!!!

Just watched the vid

It's made by stoner arms!! That's a US company!!

But I'm sure Russia has made a version in the past useing the 54r round

My bad, thought it was a Russian made rifle

Be safe people

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
I'm not sure of the actual spelling but SVD stands for ... "Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova". Which means dragonov sniper rifle

Снайперская Винтовка Драгунова.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
No I've fired .308 in semi automatic from a standing position. The recoils not bad. in this case it was a Saiga .308 AK variant in semi. Great gun. Lots of Fun. Not too bad with the recoil. The key as always is proper body structure to mitigate recoil.

At an undisclosed location I once shot a FN-FAL full auto in .308 that was pointless. It's not the recoil knocking you around its the muzzle climb first two rounds go sorta where you aim them the rest are best used for anti aircraft since they went everywhere. But then again I was trying to fire from a standing position and the rifle in the high ready. Should have tried that from the hip instead. Maybe would have had better results.

.308 is one of my favorite rounds to shoot all around. So versatile. Although I've been enjoying the 300 WIN MAG lately. but it's hard to find ranges where shooting it is even fun since most ranges in Cali don't extend past 200 yards or so. I know a few that go to 400. But even with a Win Mag thats too short IMHO.

But yeah. the 54Rs are a great round to shoot. Does everything it supposed to.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
No I've fired .308 in semi automatic from a standing position. The recoils not bad. in this case it was a Saiga .308 AK variant in semi. Great gun. Lots of Fun. Not too bad with the recoil. The key as always is proper body structure to mitigate recoil.

At an undisclosed location I once shot a FN-FAL full auto in .308 that was pointless. It's not the recoil knocking you around its the muzzle climb first two rounds go sorta where you aim them the rest are best used for anti aircraft since they went everywhere.

Same applies to the original old AK-47. The kick is bad (I thought I was shot when I first fired it, my shoulder hurt that much -- then again I was a teenager), and the muzzle climb is bad in full auto. Bad @ss weapon, though.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc
I have an old Mosin Nagant from 1927 that shoots the 7.62x54R. It is a great round. I like it better than my new 30-06. To be able to get that round into an AK style rifle is awesome. I know what I want for Christmas!

These wont shoot the heavy ball 7.62x54 that your mosin was designed to eat. Only light ball ammo.

If SHTF I'd rather have your mosin over one of these. I'm not a fan of the pray and spray mentality. It's a cool rifle, though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join