It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grid Collapse In India Leaves 360 Million People Without Power

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Grid Collapse In India Leaves 360 Million People Without Power

www.bloomberg.com

Power supplies to seven states across northern India, home to nearly 360 million people, collapsed early today, shutting transport networks, disrupting water supplies and leaving businesses running on generators.
The outages in seven states -- Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Rajasthan -- represent the worst failure in the country’s power grid since 2001, the NDTV 24x7 news channel said, without saying where it got the information from. Services on New Delhi’s metro and Indian railways were suspended for several hours, while traffic signals fa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
That's more people without power than the entire USA. They say that the power outage is due to too much consumption by certain districts, but I wonder if this was a cyber attack on India's grid. Could it have been solar flare related? I know there was recently a some sun activity, but I don't think that could be the cause.

Regardless, that size of power outage has got to have significant economic effect.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I think they did this on purpose. During the Olympics. And its way worse than US, it only took a week to get the power one in US. I think it will be very much longer in India. Hope Im wrong and its just one hub that needs repairing.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Why would they do this on purpose?

Seems to me, if the official line is accurate, it is just down to piss-poor management of their Grid. If "too much" power was being consumed, they should have ramped up generation to allow them to load balance the Grid. Allowing the Grid to collapse due to "overuse" is not really a valid reason, that's just awful management.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
*THIS POST IS A JOKE*

It was the first stage of Project Blue Beam.

Shut down the power of the second largest (population) country in the world. While they have no bollywood to watch, blast some religious images into the sky!!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by coven83

o rly?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Did they try turning it off and back on again?

Sorry, couldn't resist the customer support joke.

I hope they get this situation resolved soon.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Maybe it's a statement: Buy Iranian oil and pay the price.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The infrastructure in India is a nightmare, and the power grid is no exception.

I was there 8 years ago and the electricity worked about 14 hours a day, and it always seemed to go out just when you needed it.

It was explained to me that the grid was growing so fast they couldn't keep up with demand, so each district was given a "budget" of power. When they reached the limit it was just shut off and diverted to a dstrict that hadn't used their budget.

This I was told was BS, as all of the districts hit their limits before the day is up, the rest gets sold to industry. Bribery is big over there and factories pay bribes to keep the lights on.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Good thing nothing like that could ever happen here in the Good Ol' USA.
and if it does I'll just go shopping at Wal-mart and eat at Mc Donalds 'till its all over.
Wal-Mart has some great deals on candles I hear.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It's the "lady in red's" fault.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Yeah, it probably is just related to corruption and greed. But if 1/3 of our nation went without power, that would be pretty close to SHTF, especially if it lasted for more than a few days.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
now they cant watch the olympics, oh no the ratings

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

Yeah, it probably is just related to corruption and greed. But if 1/3 of our nation went without power, that would be pretty close to SHTF, especially if it lasted for more than a few days.

The Indians put up with a lot of crap, they're pretty gullible.

Power outages are a daily thing, if they get real bad they block the highway with trucks and it gets turned back on. I'm not kidding about the roadblock, I saw one when I was there, if they weren't getting power nobody was using the highway.

Very strange system of negotiating with TPTB in India, they are very prone to cave to pressure.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

I think people in the US would be suprised to know how thin our grid is stretched. I would not be suprised at a major outage at all. Can you imagine waking up tomarrow in say LA are NY and knowing the lights were not comming back for a few days. That would be a nightmare.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by David134
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

I think people in the US would be suprised to know how thin our grid is stretched. I would not be suprised at a major outage at all. Can you imagine waking up tomarrow in say LA are NY and knowing the lights were not comming back for a few days. That would be a nightmare.

We're one good solar flare away from a 6 month blackout.

The effect of even a 2 or 3 week blackout would destroy the economy, it's on borrowed time as it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I find it interesting that the people in power are more concerned about gun control than they are our national power grid. Politics and stupidity will always rule over common sense and practicality.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Its back online now.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Might be a long shot, but I think it will be interesting to see if any companies massively profit from this. Remeber the California outages in 2000, 2001. Turns out they were caused by Enron, who knew that percieved scarcity would make prices sky rocket, allowing them to make huge profits.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Could be a similar situation, or it could literally be just a case of poor management. Either way, I wish these people the best of luck.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
*THIS POST IS A JOKE*

It was the first stage of Project Blue Beam.

Shut down the power of the second largest (population) country in the world. While they have no bollywood to watch, blast some religious images into the sky!!

And when that DOESN'T happen, will you drop the Blue Beam nonsense?

Let me guess... no.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join