It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage. I am honestly confused

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thebtheb

How am I a bigot?

Or uneducated?
edit on 26-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
MARRIAGE is MARRIAGE is MARRIAGE is MARRIAGE

It is not hetero-marriage.

Last time I checked statistics Christians had a 52% divorce rate.

They can just share the terminology they seem to think they own. They sure aren't keeping it sacred.

BTW - - I am straight.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am not christian...

I really do not care what the christian divorce rate is!

What *I care about is keeping marriage MY religious right protected as a RELIGIOUS freedom under the constitution and anyone else who wants that same right!

I dont care what you do, I dont think its the governments business!

But My marriage will ALWAYS be under my religion! and I want it protected by the united states constitution!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Marriage is a form of social control to allow kings to have harems. God was only brought into the picture to help make the people be willing to get married. In actuality, marriage makes little sense, but then again the way human's live these days really doesn't make much sense either.

In tribes and villages, a man and a woman would get together and have a child. The expression, "it takes a village to raise a child," comes from the idea that there was no "family unit," a child would be raised by an entire village and the village served as a large family unit.

With this being said, marriage is a sham. Add to this that organized religion is, for the most part, a sham, and it quickly becomes apparent that marriage is a worthless institution which does not coincide with our nature. As per the Coolidge effect, humans get together, have babies, then part and find new mates. This is what we're wired to do. Marriages fail because they take our biological drives and desires and make them taboo.

Since I view both marriage and religion as idiotic institutions, I don't see what's wrong with letting homosexuals get married. It doesn't do me or you any harm or good, but if it makes them happy, why not? At this point they want the right to marry simply because it is being denied to them; it's basically segregation all over again. What's wrong with giving gays equal rights? This is what I don't understand. Why are people so opposed to the idea of accepting differences?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

How am I a bigot?

Or uneducated?

I wasn't referring to you at all in that post.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

What *I care about is keeping marriage MY religious right protected as a RELIGIOUS freedom under the constitution and anyone else who wants that same right!

^^^^THIS is what we don't understand.

How is YOUR religious right unprotected and YOUR marriage threatened by secular gay marriage?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It doesn't need to be called hetero marriage, that is redundant.....
I could piss in a cup and call it apple juice, that doesn't make it so.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I am not christian...

But My marriage will ALWAYS be under my religion! and I want it protected by the united states constitution!

And my entire point to you is that IT ALREADY IS. So why are YOU repeating yourself again and again. What questions are being asked of you? This: How is gay marriage ever going to affect your religious right as a religious freedom? My point: It is not!

So tell me then: how is this resolved? Have you understood that your religious right will NOT be affected by gay marriage? Have you understood this? Or do you still think it will be affected by it? If it's the latter, then I will just plain ask you to show me of any examples of gay marriage that already exist have done this. They haven't. And they won't to you or your religion either.

So why are you "confused" about gay marriage?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

So tell me then: how is this resolved?

By calling it something else. Civil union, garriage. Just not marriage.
But as Annee says, they won't have it. It's more about antagonizing them christians, than it is about rights I think.
edit on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:36:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

But your (legal and religious) marriage is protected under the constitution. But a religious union for gays is not legally protected even when multiple religious organizations perform them.

edit on 26-7-2012 by GrisGris because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I am not christian...

Yes "read the memo".

Not the point. You are still using a copout tactic by CHOOSING to believe a certain group over another.

You have the right of CHOICE. You are the one who made the CHOICE.

Actual real scholars of ancient times - writings - culture - - - - do not agree with the Fundamentalists.

But you CHOSE to believe the uneducated group.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

To the tenth power said that we wouldnt loose the protection of the constitution for our marriages under our religion.... I trust him.... and he made sense

that was here www.abovetopsecret.com...

and I agreed, and now everyone is saying this is not right? and that we need to start from the beginning again... so I am confued why?

Neno, and you, can explain or help me, but I am getting tired, and starting to get upset because I do not understand what no one understands

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
The answer to your question is actually very simple....

Because Marriage is no longer a religious practice and it stopped being strictly about religion the day the Government got involved in marriage.

Marriage USED to be about making vow before your God. How often do you make a vow to God but ask for the States permission to do so prior to making said vow? That is exactly what happens when you apply for a marriage license.

The Gay marriage issue has nothing to do with God or vows. It has everything to do with taxes. A Married couple gets tax breaks. They can put their spouse on insurance plans. There are several rights that a married couple gets that a single person can not get. So if you are a same sex couple, you are still classified as "single" in the eyes of Government and therefor your are excluded.

Want to put an end to this issue? Get Government out of Marriage, get the IRS out of Marriage, stop giving married people a better deal than "singles". Do that- and watch how quickly this debate dies.

That's what I'M talkin' about!

They have a name for it when you're in it for the money.

Get the government out of the marrying business altogether! Who the hell needs government permission to make up their mind who they want to be with, anyhow?

P.S. - do you have any inkling how much it pains me to be in agreement with you?

edit on 2012/7/26 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

So tell me then: how is this resolved?

By calling it something else. Civil union, garriage. Just not marriage.
But as Annee says, they won't have it. It's more about antagonizing them christians, than it is about rights I think.

Antagonizing? Don't interpret my posts.

NO - - it is about Equal Rights - - Period!

link   

reply to post by Annee

I am not christian...

I'm going to ask you a direct question

let's see what you do with it

what rights - religious or otherwise - will you be losing if gay people are allowed to marry?
edit on 7/27/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: because now I see something I didn't see before

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

. . . and now everyone is saying this is not right? and that we need to start from the beginning again... so I am confued why?

Beginning of what?

Marriage is Marriage. It is recognized around the world - - in many countries.

Some countries already have legal gay marriage.

Anything less then Marriage is unacceptable.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

To the tenth power said that the government probably will never give up on staying in our marriages because they make a profit off of it....

the way it stands right now.... he is right Neno....

That is one thing to work on later, but until we get government control back to the people, there is nothing to be done....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

To the tenth power said that we wouldnt loose the protection of the constitution for our marriages under our religion.... I trust him.... and he made sense

that was here www.abovetopsecret.com...

and I agreed, and now everyone is saying this is not right? and that we need to start from the beginning again... so I am confued why?

Neno, and you, can explain or help me, but I am getting tired, and starting to get upset because I do not understand what no one understands

Okay then, so you ARE saying that you agree that you will not lose any rights if gay marriage exists? Is that what I'm understanding? And to point out the obvious, someone else has just asked the same question I have. So clearly, you're not being 100% as obvious or transparent as you think you are or are attempting to come across as.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

Nah, the debate would hardly die over that. As far as gays are concerned, it goes much deeper than taxes etc.

How much deeper?

What else do they expect to gain from a State permitted marriage that they can't get from just being together?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I am trying, I am getting tired and this is why I repeated this post twice now, that way there was no misunderstanding... but everyone still said they did not agree with me

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join