It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

Again, the Olympics are a Unity thing, bringing the World together, for one Purpose.

Put it this way, would people have been offended, if Hitler said it, about Jesse Owens ?

Food for thought.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is. If she did make racist remarks, well, that's wrong. But then look at the world of Futbol/Soccer. That is a sport that is nearly entirely racist. Racism runs rampant in the world cup. Not so sure about the Euro Cup though. But nobody gets booted from playing then....

This years Olympics needs to just be shut down. Its boring anyways. The best part of it is the boxing. (and that even kinda blows because the head gear worn) I want to see some KO's.

But that girl is mighty fine.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
MaryStillToe brings up another good point that shows the intent here.
Normally “At least” is used to give a positive outcome to something that is a negative.

negative point --- “at least” --- some good may come from it

This just goes to show that, yes this was meant in a racist way.

Too many Africans in Greece (-) well at least the mosquitoes will have something to eat (+).

Originally posted by khimbar
If I said 'with so many cakes on this plate I'm spoiled for choice' am I saying there are too many?

Even though you are trying to put a positive spin on it, it still means that in your opinion there are more then there should be. Now couple that with the “at least remark” and you can see that she does not look on this excess amount in a positive light.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The Greek government should be fined for allowing their athletes to come to our country and break our laws.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I just don't think racist jokes are necessarily racist. I know how stupid that sounds, but if there is no malice I don't get the big deal. Words are words, it's the intent behind them that makes me angry at times. Not the word itself.

I hear ya, Domo. Problem is, on the World stage,when EVERY Nation is watching these athletes, with magnifying glasses, its best you keep your mouth shut, and let your Body do the talking. Whole point, is to make your Country look good. Cant do that, when your talking.......

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Tramadolnights

They didn't let her come . They stopped her before she got on the Plane.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Ok...looking into this now a bit more and there is significantly more to it than just the one joke, and also involved some recent support for some sketchy political party called Golden Dawn.

And it wasn't a typo, the joke is about Greece and not London because there is a recent West Nile outbreak in Greece.

Annnnnd....I still don't think thought policing is the right way to handle this sort of thing, but I do feel my interest in this topic fading back to a baseline of not giving a crap about it or anything else to do with the Olympics.
edit on 26-7-2012 by 11andrew34 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by khimbar

No. No it isn't at all. Africa is MULTI-RACIAL, She wasn't referring to Blacks.

Not many people will understand that fine point.

Disclaimer: I am multi-racial, am not a racist and have a sense of humor. Apparently those who sent her home did not have a sense of humor.

I am multi-racial also, and I found it in very bad taste. I also have a sense of Humor. It doesn't matter if she was inferring the color grey. If she wanted to say it "after" she competed in the Olympics, or after the Olympics, ended, more power to her. She put her team, and Nation, in precarious position, with her remarks. Especially in the World, we live in today. People are failing to understand what the Olympics is ALL about. MHO

link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I just don't think racist jokes are necessarily racist. I know how stupid that sounds, but if there is no malice I don't get the big deal. Words are words, it's the intent behind them that makes me angry at times. Not the word itself.

I hear ya, Domo. Problem is, on the World stage,when EVERY Nation is watching these athletes, with magnifying glasses, its best you keep your mouth shut, and let your Body do the talking. Whole point, is to make your Country look good. Cant do that, when your talking.......

I hear you too domo, Problem is it wasn't a comedy festival where it's a given, that everything and everyone is open slather,
it is a world renowned mighty game which brings countries together in positive respectful way, a combative and a competitive way, minus the blood shed.
She dishonered the game and herself by being so flippant.

Even a sexy chick, such as she clearly is, can be unsuitable for some things.
Public speaking would be it for her.

link   

I get ya. At the same time everyone is watching and letting that little tweet snowball into a fiasco and banning her just perpetuates racism in my opinion. Hell it's not even racist. She never mentioned a race.

You know you got me about 60/40 on this one. I appreciate you being so civil and offering good points. I'm going to take a minute and think about it. I guess the only point of view I'm seeing it from is my own. I like posters like you.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks for the Complement.

Honestly, if she was at any stand up comedy bar, she would have gotten laughs. Olympics? Not so much.........

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

LMAO. I am usually identified as a liberal although I consider myself independent but I found this hilarious. Couple of things that I should add though. I am an American and I have no clue whats going on in Greece with Africans. Therefore, I don't know the conversation that is happening or the tone of said conversation. So I cannot make a judgement on whether or not its racist.
edit on 26-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It’s not only that, she’s not even competed yet, and she’s:
a) embarrassed her home country.
b) shown she has no common sense on what not to say.
c) made a remark that can be taken as critical of her country.
d) alienated a portion of the population she has been sent to represent.

You know that their PR people must have been worried about what her next “off the cuff” joke would be, when she obviously has no common sense on what’s acceptable. The last thing they would want is her becoming a gold medallist, celebrity, then shooting her mouth off.

edit on 7/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Again, the Olympics are a Unity thing, bringing the World together, for one Purpose.

Put it this way, would people have been offended, if Hitler said it, about Jesse Owens ?

Food for thought.

Not much to chew over really.

Not that it matters, but national sports, national medal counts, etc is clearly not much of a unity builder. The Olympics are fairly reliable source of rancor and discord, by its own track record.

And I'll only respond to your really lame hypothetical if you tell me exactly what you would have your puppet Hitler tweeting about Jesse Owens. Until then it's not possible because I don't see any particular way to mash the meaning of this joke into that context.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

She wasn't inferring a color at all. Not all Africans are Black. It's fairly racist to think that they are, IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

How is it racist to tell a joke about mosquitos and Blacks?

If a Black person tells a joke about apple pie and Whites is that considered racist?

People bitten by mosquitos infected with West Nile can get very sick and even die. I suppose it's the kind of humor only a racist could appreciate.

Also, I've never heard the phrase "As White as Apple Pie" so I really don't follow your drift.

P.S. The confederates lost the war, black people are also American and they also are known for making and eating apple pie.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by sonnny1

She wasn't inferring a color at all. Not all Africans are Black. It's fairly racist to think that they are, IMO.

When white Africans travel or migrate back to Europe, do Europeans consider them as foreigners and worthless immigrants or do they generally welcome them home?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
The biggest problem with issues like these it that a greater audience is gained when people complain.

Just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34
Ok...looking into this now a bit more and there is significantly more to it than just the one joke, and also involved some recent support for some sketchy political party called Golden Dawn.

you could be on to something, shall we dig together?

You should seriously look into the Golden Dawn's banishing ritual for negative spirits and energy. The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram has a banishing version that pretty much wards off and protects you from any imperfection or negative energy in the room. Trust me, I'm deep into occult philosophy and magick, and Thelema, I know that this ritual will work if done properly because I do it all the time to cleanse the room. It becomes a staple of any more advanced ritual in the higher tiers of the Golden Dawn, it is performed as a cleansing before other rituals and it can also be used to banish unwanted or obsessive thoughts. You can read a little bit about the history of the ritual here en.wikipedia.org... and the instructions on how to perform it properly are here www.sacred-texts.com...

from a thread I was reading today

here tis...

that is interesting, she didn't represent herself for them very well either.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by sonnny1

It’s not only that, she’s not even competed yet, and she’s:
a) embarrassed her home country.
b) shown she has no common sense on what not to say.
c) made a remark that can be taken as critical of her country.
d) alienated a portion of the population she has been sent to represent.

You know that there PR people must have been worried about what her next “off the cuff” joke would be, when she obviously has no common sense on what’s acceptable. The last thing they would want is her becoming a gold medallist, celebrity, then shooting her mouth off.

Spot on.....

I told Domo it would be like an Iranian saying, "Hey Israelis, Your safe from a terrorist attack, this year at the Olympics" wink:wink.......

I just don't know how anyone would think how that would be a great thing to say, even if they found humor in it.......

You also have to understand, that MANY countries are dealing with some sort of racism. People kill each other still, over race. This in no way, promoted Unity. Shes not a Comedian, and she shouldn't have opened her mouth, with a ridiculous statement. ESPECIALLY at the Olympics......

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join