It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Okay so to all the people proud of this Mayor...

You understand it is a government official directly interfering with freedom of speech?

Punishing for their free speech Right?

You guys get that part of this right?

no.
Not at all.

He hasn't told them to shut up.

He's told them he disagrees with them and hopes they wil not come to Boston.

Why do you not get that holding a different opinion is not interfering with free speech, and free speech means people who don't like what you say are allowed to say so?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

The law has nothing to do with truth. If you want to pretend and make believe that corporations are people, go for it. Lots of people do. That doesnt make it true, though. No wonder the country is in such shambles... people will believe anything they are told without critically thinking about it.
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

If you like it or not, we live in a society of laws, and the current law of the land states this.

Instead of impenitently arguing against it on the internet, as again its the law if you like or not...

You go and do something about it...

Find your representative

Find your senator

You grab on to your belief in what is "True"

And Ill keep writing my senators to push for that amendment, and will see which has more effect.

Maybe its the simplistic understanding of our nations principles and laws that truly at the root of its problems.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

The CEO of a company said, I have this political stance, in this stance I speak only for myself and not anyone else within the company, but the company itself is run according to the same principles that I have, and those principles are why I am having this political stance

a town mayor has the right to tell me I cannot being my company to his town?

If I own a laundry, and I announce my position on say gun laws, a town can tell me I cannot do business in their town because of my personal voting habits?

You think this has even one thing in the constitution that would back that town?

You people do not even know the constitution of the country you live in to think this is ok!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

He's told them he disagrees with them and hopes they wil not come to Boston.

Oh yea, only the highest power in the city has pretty much said they arn't welcome.

Its a veiled threat, I am sure their permits will go through and all their inspections...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Are you are saying that the Mayor of Boston doesnt' get to have freedom of speech??

'Cos I'm sure ther are a bunch of people on here who think that you shouldn't be allowed to curtal freedom of speech......oh - yeah - you were one of them......

So how does that work??

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Let them come, the people there will decide whether or not to support them. Mayor needs to stfu.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
The mayor is out of line. He can not prohibit someones business simply because of what they believe in. I am sure he thinks he is doing the right thing in defending gay marriage but he has overstepped his bounds.

The chick-fil-a guy has also overstepped his bounds in saying gay marriage should be outlawed. Does that mean people who have downs syndrome, or are mentally retarded should be regarded in a similar manner just because of who they are?? People must understand that 'gayness' is a defect, albeit not as crippling as other mental disorders that i have mentioned, but they should not be penalized for being who they are inherently.

Nature is not perfect, nature contains defects on all levels. But, nature balances itself, and that is what is more important than anything... truth.

link   
The mayor is out of line. He can not prohibit someones business simply because of what they believe in. I am sure he thinks he is doing the right thing in defending gay marriage but he has overstepped his bounds.

The chick-fil-a guy has also overstepped his bounds in saying gay marriage should be outlawed. Does that mean people who have downs syndrome, or are mentally retarded should be regarded in a similar manner just because of who they are?? People must understand that 'gayness' is a defect, albeit not as crippling as other mental disorders that i have mentioned, but they should not be penalized for being who they are inherently.

Nature is not perfect, nature contains defects on all levels. But, nature balances itself, and that is what is more important than anything... truth.

EDIT: double post please delete one of them, sorry!
edit on 25-7-2012 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The Mayor of Boston spoke on official city letterhead with official city seal
'

that means he is speaking as a government official, declaring the city does not want a certain business in the town...

Why? because of their political stance on a religious matter!

edit on 25-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

How does the Mayor's letter stop them holding that attitude?

What it sdays is that he doesn't like it (which he is allowed to do), and that he hopes they won't come to Boston (which he is allowed to hope).

That is also free speech.

It's not "free speech" when it comes from a government official, it's an attempt at political intimidation. In this case an attempt at political intimidation against someone with a different moral belief. When the guy who holds your license in his hands says "I don't like you or your kind", you know there's going to be a rough road ahead.

Political intimidation. Chik-Fil-A ought to carry it to court, but at least it's documented now for all eternity on the internet when they start running into unusual problems.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Are you are saying that the Mayor of Boston doesnt' get to have freedom of speech??

if effects the rule of law in his city, yes.

Just like if obama decided he wanted to do something that was unconstitutional he ... wait right, I forgot thats how #ty our country has gotten.

Right carry on, BY all means mayor insert your personal opinion regardless what the constitutions states into your government policies.

Aperently Americans only bitch about constitutional violations when its something they don't agree with...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by benrl

'Cos I'm sure ther are a bunch of people on here who think that you shouldn't be allowed to curtal freedom of speech......oh - yeah - you were one of them......

So how does that work??

It works because as a government official, he is bound by the Constitution to uphold the freedom of speech of others. That is why government officials take an oath and swear to uphold the Constitution. He can say "I disagree with that stance" and still be within his oath, but he cannot say "don't come 'round here, boy - you ain't like us, and we don't want your kind here" and still be within it.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

so therefore you are saying he did nothing wrong - good - glad we agree.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

No, he is saying the mayor WAS WRONG. A government official can not use prejudice in the way he did.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

He violated his constitutional oath to uphold the constitution and declared to discriminate against a company on a political level for their privately held beliefs and political stance.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think I can resolve the freedom of speech issue. The mayor is not just "urging them" or "expressing an opinion." I followed the links given in the OP source article, and ran into something in The Boston Herald:

Mayor Thomas M. Menino is vowing to block Chick-fil-A from bringing its Southern-fried fast-food empire to Boston — possibly to a popular tourist spot just steps from the Freedom Trail — after the family-owned firm’s president suggested gay marriage is “inviting God’s judgment on our nation.”

“Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston. You can’t have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion,” Menino told the Herald yesterday.

“That’s the Freedom Trail. That’s where it all started right here. And we’re not going to have a company, Chick-fil-A or whatever the hell the name is, on our Freedom Trail.”

“If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult — unless they open up their policies,” he warned.

In February, Northeastern University balked at Chick-fil-A’s plans for an on-campus eatery after students squawked about reports the chain’s charitable arm donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups.

Undeterred, Chick-fil-A — which boasts 1,600 eateries, including two in the Bay State — has been scouting the Hub for new locations and is reportedly eyeing a lease at 1 Union St., across the street from City Hall, the Holocaust Memorial and historic Faneuil Hall.

Menino blocked Walmart from a Roxbury development last year, criticizing the retail giant’s impact on neighborhood businesses and lower-wage workers.

Now it looks as though he may try to do the same to Chick-fil-A.

bostonherald.com...

I think the Mayor may be in trouble.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

And Chik Fil A should sue the City of Boston! And Every Other Darn City!

radio.foxnews.com...

Officials in at least three cities have vowed to block efforts to open Chick-fil-A restaurants

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

And Chik Fil A should sue the City of Boston! And Every Other Darn City!

A few spankings in court for civil rights violations should stop further mayors from expressing their personal opinion as rule of law.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

True that!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

True that!

Also funny to note that if you find the right issue, people will clamor to violate Constitutional rights...

Thats an important aspect of this...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join