It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

How is this a political stance on a religious matter? The mayor is an advocate of equal marriage rights for same sex couples, marriage rights are a political issue. Just because Chick-Fil-A cites a religious belief for their stance on a political issue that does not somehow make the issue a matter of faith or religion.

So the Mayor is within his duties to do all he can to block a legitimate business from opening up in Boston because they disagree on a political issue? Going down a slippery slope with this one. Should a city be allowed to ban a gay restaurant or bar based on the politics of a region? Should we have banned Domino Pizza places because their owner was Catholic and pro life? See where you are going with this?

Don't like Chick-a-Fil, don't go there and support it. You don't try to ban it outright.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
So the Mayor is within his duties to do all he can to block a legitimate business from opening up in Boston because they disagree on a political issue? Going down a slippery slope with this one. Should a city be allowed to ban a gay restaurant or bar based on the politics of a region? Should we have banned Domino Pizza places because their owner was Catholic and pro life? See where you are going with this?

Don't like Chick-a-Fil, don't go there and support it. You don't try to ban it outright.

I must have missed it but i dont remember that letter specificly saying you cannot come to boston. However, i did read that the mayor urged him to reconsider.

There is a difference between the two.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

en.wikipedia.org...

It's good that the law isn't confined to what YOU think, since what you think obviously doesn't line up with the law. Coorporations ARE people in the law, and they are provided the same rights. As a business owner, I learned this early...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

The Supreme Court thinks that, so....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well done Mayor!

If the chick man can express his opinion...so can the Mayor. I'm sure the chick-fil-a employees don't appreciate that their boss just tanked their business by mixing chicken with politics. That's what happens when you use the freedom of expression for hate speech. It comes right back at you from those who think you should stick to breading recipes or eat what you served up.

Thanks Mayor.

I'll have the beef and pass on the chicken from now on.

Peace

source

edit on 26-7-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Okay so to all the people proud of this Mayor...

You understand it is a government official directly interfering with freedom of speech?

Punishing for their free speech Right?

You guys get that part of this right?

He didn't tell them to shut up, he told them to stay out. You can say anything you want, just as long as you aren't on my property. He probably did Chik fail a a favor. They would probably lose millions by making the move to Boston.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
the food is garbage.

i have been telling people not to go there for years.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think people really abuse the idea or concept of free speech. Opinions are fine, but to use them as weapons and credo's and walk over everyone with your big heavy boots, and put them on company campaigns, against the sovereign rights and freedoms of others and minoriries, is sickening.

When opinions become a way to politically harm others, especially minorities, and force them to stand under some controlling authority and ruin lives, they're not opinions, they're crimes.

Yet, we've been taught this is free speech.

And to stand up for a bullies right to do so.

Its inconceivable to me how people wield their freedom and opinions, instead of live and let live and working for those in need to have equal shares and a voice, to shine their light, not hold prejudice and weapons. But you know. all the third world and broken people here even, in the streets who could be artists, writers, volunteers even, creating and making, counseling, or even just (if they're physcially/mentally handicapped) growing and living in dignity.

I consider the way Bullies distort the meaning of Free Speech to uphold their power structure and abuse of others, SICKENING.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
the food is garbage.

What guy? Chick Fil A is awesome!!!
So is their beliefs.

That mayor just wants to get reelected. Bet.
Whats up with all the folks on here pro gay marriage? Are you all homosexuals or something??
I see no problem with chick fil a voicing their opinions. Just like I see no problem with all of you on this thread whining about it.
All your whining and bickering isn't going to change Chick Fil A's mind on their beliefs... nor is it going to change anyone elses that is against male v male or female v female marriage. Your wasting your time

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

People forget why it's morally pleasing to stand up for a minority group. It's because a minority doesn't have the strength to stand on it's own. People mistakenly think that the reason you should stand up for a minority group, is because it's politically correct to do so. If they can find a political reason to oppress them, they will do so.

In the case of anti-gay marraige, there is no political reason to support the oppression.

I'm not sure how supporting free speech to promote an idea that directly contradicts the constitution, and therefore the conservative Christian ideal set, is logical. Hypocrisy!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by superman2012

Chick fil a said they hold the stance they do because of their religion.... the mayor did not need to say it....Chik fil a already did

it is religious discrimination for holding a religious belief

So because someone disagrees with a religious belief, and makes it known to the other party, it is discrimination? You do understand that the Mayor cannot make decisions about which businesses can and cannot start up right? (as long as they are legal).

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Read the links some other poster provided....said he would do all in his power to prevent them from opening up....implying they will have a more difficult time getting proper permits....ect. He is actively preventing them from trying to open up more locations, it's not just his opinion, he is actively working toward stopping them with city mechanisms. Big difference.

bostonherald.com... position=0

“If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult — unless they open up their policies,” he warned.

edit on 26-7-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As I read through a thread that has as its very basis the fact that a mayor of a major city used official city stationary and the title of his position to personally issue a statement on behalf of the residents of that city which promotes discrimination against a company based on the religious morals of the founder/CEO, I am reminded of another instance that happened not so long ago:

The Honorable Judge Roy Moore

Judge Moore had a plaque on the walls of his courtroom which showed the Ten Commandments. He also had plaques showcasing other historical documents, such as the US Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Magna Carta, etc. Yet, he was literally ousted from a duly-elected position for displaying the Ten Commandments. No one even seriously suggested any decision had ever been based on that historic document, and no one could show that he had intent to base his decisions on anything other than the laws, but he was ousted anyway for daring to use public office to promote a religious position.

Now another duly-elected public official, this one with even greater direct power over the people (a mayoral decision affects all, while judicial decisions at Judge Moore's level affects only those accused of a crime) has specifically made an overt action using government stationary and his official seal stating clearly his discriminatory position against and intent to discriminate against a corporation based on nothing more than a religious ideology.

Judge Moore was wrong, but this is right?

This is another of those subjects where the truth, if one looks clearly at the issues, is so crystal clear that watching the antics of those who would twist it to suit their own personal agendas is absolutely hilarious. This is one of those signs George Carlin (RIP) used to look for. I remember another of those signs was bad water... because the fact that the water was bad, to him, signified the imminent destruction and downfall of society. As in that example, the very fact that so many base acceptance of political actions and Constitutional arguments not on concepts of equality or freedom, and not on the document itself, but on the issue at hand and their own personal feelings, ignoring any concept of fairness or equity, signifies even more so the imminent destruction and downfall of society.

Never fear; I have stocked up on Mountain Dew and popcorn to watch this incarnation of the Keystone Kops. After all, I shouldn't need much until society has collapsed completely under the immense weight of such arrogance and ignorance and I can busy myself with building it back.

Perhaps we can do a better job this next time.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is this like the same thing all the christians did to the muslims that wanted to open mosques

Strange how when the shoes on the other foot its religious persecution...

Its too bad that god doesnt allow suicide then everyone would be happy.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

the food is garbage.

So is their beliefs.

Whats up with all the folks on here pro gay marriage? Are you all homosexuals or something??
I see no problem with chick fil a voicing their opinions. Just like I see no problem with all of you on this thread whining about it.
All your whining and bickering isn't going to change Chick Fil A's mind on their beliefs... nor is it going to change anyone elses that is against male v male or female v female marriage. Your wasting your time

Lawl, what's up with all those folks advocating equal rights for black people? Are they all black or something?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The government is overstepping their bounds here. People are free to believe in what they want to, that's what free speech is all about. Just because it's the belief of the business owner, doesn't justify its business to be politically attacked by the local government. People can form their own opinions and decide whether this issue will cause them not to patronize Chick-Fil-A.

What it comes down to, if they sell a good product people will still patronize their business. When I go for something to eat, the last thing I think of, is the companies stance on gay marriage.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Read the links some other poster provided....said he would do all in his power to prevent them from opening up....implying they will have a more difficult time getting proper permits....ect. He is actively preventing them from trying to open up more locations, it's not just his opinion, he is actively working toward stopping them with city mechanisms. Big difference.

“If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult — unless they open up their policies,” he warned.

Lol, im liking this guy more and more. Cant wait until he announce's "Burn a bible day" - Im there!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Lol, im liking this guy more and more. Cant wait until he announce's "Burn a bible day" - Im there!

So you believe the government in the United States has the right to persecute people on grounds they do not like their religion and/or whatever beliefs they hold? Because that is who the Mayor works for, the Government, anything he does is doing so in a position of governmental authority and power.

Gotta love your belief in the constitution

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

So you don't see a problem with his statement? If an City inspector said that to a business, he'd be accused of improper behavior, good thing he's the mayor only! Just remember your stance on this when the shoe is on the other foot.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by resoe26

the food is garbage.

So is their beliefs.

Lawl, what's up with all those folks advocating equal rights for black people? Are they all black or something?

Chinga la madre guy, thats different. We aren't talking about race...
we are talking about some stupid sexual preference and how most Christians don't believe in homosexual marriage. Did you read the thread guy?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join